Dirtiest Play I've Ever Seen

Has anyone seen a dirtier play than the Dante Wesley hit today? He should probably be suspended a good 4 or 5 games for that. Just disgraceful. I can’t understand what he was possibly thinking.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwfFxr0zI-A[/URL]

I want to know what was going through his mind.

That is totally uncharacteristic of him… I have no idea what happened there.

The only possible explanation that I can think of is that he mistimed his hit, thinking the ball would get to the man before he did.

Had that been the case though, and the ball been where he thought it was, this would be a totally different thread.

Agree. Should be suspended for more than one game.

What was he thinking? The guy was defenseless. Shameful.

He didn’t call for a fair catch so if the ball was over his head he was fair game, but it looked like he was going to catch it so who knows what he was thinking, he gave some explination here.

[URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/1008243.html[/URL]

He wasn’t trying to cheap shot him on purpose, he just had a major brain fart. Regardless, it’s inexcusable.

[QUOTE=EE9er;436769]He didn’t call for a fair catch so if the ball was over his head he was fair game, but it looked like he was going to catch it so who knows what he was thinking, he gave some explination here.

[URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/1008243.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yeah, he’s full of ****.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;436765]Has anyone seen a dirtier play than the Dante Wesley hit today? He should probably be suspended a good 4 or 5 games for that. Just disgraceful. I can’t understand what he was possibly thinking.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwfFxr0zI-A[/URL][/QUOTE]

In this case I am okay with Steve Smith punching his teammate in the face.

he mis-timed it, big f’n deal

the ball was a split second from being there, had there been a fair catch then its dirty

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;436765]Has anyone seen a dirtier play than the Dante Wesley hit today? He should probably be suspended a good 4 or 5 games for that. Just disgraceful. I can’t understand what he was possibly thinking.

Four games for THAT? It was mistimed. Period.

The part I didn’t like was the launching off the ground to make the hit. To his benefit though, he didn’t lead with the helmet otherwise Clifton Smith might be in the hospital. I was thinking as a casual observer with nothing invested in either team that he should get one game.

There is by the way such a thing as signaling for a fair catch too early.

As much as I hated seeing it happen, I agree that it was mistimed. If he had been a 1 second later, he would have knocked the ball loose and we probably woudn’t have been tied in the last minute.

There was a play very similar to this in a college game a few years ago. I think it was Fresno State and Wisconsin. I can’t remember the year or at what point in the game it was, but I do remember that the player was ejected immediately after cheapshotting the returner just as Wesley did. A Pop Warner player knows not to hit the returner while he is looking up for the ball. Writing it off as mistimed is comical.

[QUOTE=metro;436777]he mis-timed it, big f’n deal

the ball was a split second from being there, had there been a fair catch then its dirty[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree. Smith was flat on his back by the time the ball landed. Whether he did it intentionally meant to be a douchebag or not, it was a ****ty hit.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;436773]Yeah, he’s full of ****.[/QUOTE]
Says the guy pointing the finger from the outside.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;436784]Have to disagree. Smith was flat on his back by the time the ball landed. Whether he did it intentionally meant to be a douchebag or not, it was a ****ty hit.[/QUOTE]

whatever, watch the shadow of the ball, its split second.

if he catches it and jukes Dante for a TD, then we say our special teams suck. I’ll take the aggressive mistake anyday.

[QUOTE=metro;436787]whatever, watch the shadow of the ball, its split second.

if he catches it and jukes Dante for a TD, then we say our special teams suck. I’ll take the aggressive mistake anyday.[/QUOTE]

I saw the shadow of the ball, there’s always a shadow of the ball, Clifton Smith never saw the shadow of the ball b/c it still lands after he’s laying flat on his back.

And if it was Munerlynn who got laid out you’d be calling for the Buc’s players head.

My good friend in high shool did this once. He was 6"3" and 220 and blind as a bat without his contacts. He lost his contacts the series before the punt and kept playing. The kid he hit was 5"5" 150 and rolled him a good 15 yards (but was not hurt). He was flying blind and at the time it was pretty funny.

The ESPN article says the returner did call for a fair catch btw

Looked pretty dirty to me

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;436789]I saw the shadow of the ball, there’s always a shadow of the ball, Clifton Smith never saw the shadow of the ball b/c it still lands after he’s laying flat on his back.

And if it was Munerlynn who got laid out you’d be calling for the Buc’s players head.[/QUOTE]

who freakin cares if he’s on his back? 99% of the time the gunner (Wesley) knows when he arrives the ball is arriving at the same time. Baker put it higher than normal and Tampa’s defenders did a [B]HORRIBLE job[/B] of impeding Wesley’s progress, allowing him to arrive too fast. Those two factors led to him getting there early.

If you know squat about football, you’d know a gunner rarely gets to the kick returner [U]THAT EARLY[/U].

Wesley has been around a long time and not known for being dirty.