Discussion: 1998 NCAA Tournament: Charlotte vs. UNC-CH

Mods, please move discussion here.

[QUOTE=919R;403196]Oh my----no it does not at all-----do you think the Xavier “win” is bigger than the Marquette (F4) loss?

:ohmy:[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do. Final Four or not, the game was a failure. You play to win the game. If you do not win the game, and you still celebrate the loss, then you might as well just take the team to CiCi’s for a post-season party and give them little plastic trophies. Maybe we can make some extra money by having some local plumber sponsor the team’s jerseys…

The win vs. Michigan to get us to the Final Four is the big game, not the loss that followed.

The win vs. Michigan to get us to the Final Four is the big game, not the loss that followed.
The Michigan win is bigger, yes. It's the game that got us to the FF.

However, that’s not the same thing. The subsequent loss to Marquette was still a bigger and more historic game than our win over UNCG this year. No one really gives a rats ass that we beat UNCG. It’s good, of course, but in terms of historical significance and how much people care about the game, there are certainly losses that are more valuable than some wins.

Our loss in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament against #1/#1 #1 UNC is one of those games because of what stage it was on, the fact that we didn’t just lose terribly, the fact that the team in question was so highly touted nationally, and also because of who it was and their significance locally. The fact of who it was isn’t alone what makes this game.

I might even say our win over UIC was bigger than our win over Xavier for the simple fact that it probably got more national attention. Some of our wins over Cinci and Louisville are probably bigger than some of our NCAA games, but this Xavier win wasn’t up there with those wins either.

Mods, please move discussion here.

Thank you, Lew.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;403199]Yes, I do. Final Four or not, the game was a failure. You play to win the game. If you do not win the game, and you still celebrate the loss, then you might as well just take the team to CiCi’s for a post-season party and give them little plastic trophies. Maybe we can make some extra money by having some local plumber sponsor the team’s jerseys…

The win vs. Michigan to get us to the Final Four is the big game, not the loss that followed.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that the win over Michigan is the biggest win in 49er history, you can not just blow off the Marquette game like you are doing.
That’s the only Final Four game in school history. Plain and simple. It was a game the Niners did everything right, except win the game when Marquette pulled a miracle play out at the end.
There have been a few teams that have made nice runs to get to the Final Four, and then found themselves in way over their head, and get pounded. Not that team. They played well enough to win, and if Marquette doesn’t win, what happens on Monday night?
I’m betting Cornbread and the guys bring home the trophey.
All a coach or fan can ask of a team is their best effort, and if they give that effort, you honor it.
Your calling it “a failure” and saying we shouldn’t celebrate that game just really tells me that you don’t care about effort, only wins.

[QUOTE=Thewayitwas;403294]While I agree that the win over Michigan is the biggest win in 49er history, you can not just blow off the Marquette game like you are doing.
That’s the only Final Four game in school history. Plain and simple. It was a game the Niners did everything right, except win the game when Marquette pulled a miracle play out at the end.
There have been a few teams that have made nice runs to get to the Final Four, and then found themselves in way over their head, and get pounded. Not that team. They played well enough to win, and if Marquette doesn’t win, what happens on Monday night?
I’m betting Cornbread and the guys bring home the trophey.
All a coach or fan can ask of a team is their best effort, and if they give that effort, you honor it.
[B]Your calling it “a failure” and saying we shouldn’t celebrate that game just really tells me that you don’t care about effort, only wins.[/B][/QUOTE]

Welcome to sports after little league.

The team played with a ton of heart and effort this year…

Yes, I do. Final Four or not, the game was a failure. You play to win the game. [B]If you do not win the game, and you still celebrate the loss, then you might as well just take the team to CiCi's for a post-season party and give them little plastic trophies.[/B] Maybe we can make some extra money by having some local plumber sponsor the team's jerseys...

ANNNNNT!!!..wrong answer. Who said anything about "celebrating a loss? I sure didn’t. The point is a “big-game” is a “big-game” regardless of the outcome. You REALLY are missing the boat on this one, IMO. :huh:

[QUOTE=919R;403318]ANNNNNT!!!..wrong answer. Who said anything about "celebrating a loss? I sure didn’t. The point is a “big-game” is a “big-game” regardless of the outcome. You REALLY are missing the boat on this one, IMO. :huh:[/QUOTE]
This.

Our participation in the final four (win or lose) vs Marquette did more for our program than a victory over a ranked Xavier team in the midst of a losing season.

Should we hang a banner for our big win this past season?

Our participation in the final four (win or lose) vs Marquette did more for our program than a victory over a ranked Xavier team in the midst of a losing season.

Should we hang a banner for our big win this past season?

QFT