Do you want to be in the same conference as ECU?

Georgia State is not a good choice at all, poor fan base, athletics, facillities, competing like 3 miles from the Georgia Tech campus. Trust me im from Georgia, if you were going to pick a Ga school to join us, Georgia Southern is the best option.

CUSA is a very wide conference, from ECU all the way to UTEP and like Appfan is saying I can definitely see it splitting along with the Big East. My friends at ECU also think this is going to happen. As for Appalachian, I have been telling all my friends at school there that they should move to FBS but the only person that seems to understand is my brother. I think that an Appalachian vs ECU rivalry makes a lot more sense than App Charlotte or ECU Charlotte as both schools are centered on football. I could see us being minor rivals with ECU though, they have a strong baseball team with a huge following and our baseball is usually pretty good. We need a rivalry with a school that is good at basketball but also has fbs football. Davidson will always be a fun cross town rivalry, but not much more than that. I understand the hate for George Washington but I don’t see us being long term rivals as I doubt they will be in whatever conference we are in 7 years from now and they don’t have football. I would love to see a rivalry with Wake Forest, but I doubt that would happen unfortunately. Perhaps we will end up in a conference with Cincinnati or Louisville 7 years from now.
Maybe by then there will be no more BCS and we will have an FBS football tournament and a realignment of the conferences that gives us a better tv market and a good rival unlike our current situation in the A-10. It’s all timing.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:22, topic:22398”]CUSA is a very wide conference, from ECU all the way to UTEP and like Appfan is saying I can definitely see it splitting along with the Big East. My friends at ECU also think this is going to happen. As for Appalachian, I have been telling all my friends at school there that they should move to FBS but the only person that seems to understand is my brother. I think that an Appalachian vs ECU rivalry makes a lot more sense than App Charlotte or ECU Charlotte as both schools are centered on football. I could see us being minor rivals with ECU though, they have a strong baseball team with a huge following and our baseball is usually pretty good. We need a rivalry with a school that is good at basketball but also has fbs football. Davidson will always be a fun cross town rivalry, but not much more than that. I understand the hate for George Washington but I don’t see us being long term rivals as I doubt they will be in whatever conference we are in 7 years from now and they don’t have football. I would love to see a rivalry with Wake Forest, but I doubt that would happen unfortunately. Perhaps we will end up in a conference with Cincinnati or Louisville 7 years from now.
Maybe by then there will be no more BCS and we will have an FBS football tournament and a realignment of the conferences that gives us a better tv market and a good rival unlike our current situation in the A-10. It’s all timing.[/quote]

Well said my friend

I don’t care if they are in our conference or not. I care about who else is in the conference more than I care about whether or not ECU is. They will be a good school to have in a conference for football and baseball, but we need to get in a conference with some heavy hitters in football and basketball if we want to reach the level we hope for and that we once were at with basketball.

Texas to Big 10, so they get a title game.
Arkansas to Big 12, so they keep theirs.
Us to SEC, to keep theirs. They get a temp. title waiver with 11 from the NCAA because Charlotte is a bigger market that Greenville.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:25, topic:22398”]Texas to Big 10, so they get a title game.
Us to SEC, to keep theirs. They get a temp. title waiver with 11 from the NCAA because Charlotte is a bigger market that Greenville.[/quote]

I wish. I really do think Charlotte would be interesting for the SEC if Arkansas ever did leave. But I could also say Tulane would be interesting for the SEC too. Hell, even Miami, FSU or Clemson may want to jump ship.

That’s kind of my point, that if we were in a BCS league and ECU was not, I think it would help us to surpass them in football and baseball. If we’re in the same conference I think it will make football recruiting much more difficult.

[quote=“Normmm, post:26, topic:22398”][quote=“stonecoldken, post:25, topic:22398”]Texas to Big 10, so they get a title game.
Us to SEC, to keep theirs. They get a temp. title waiver with 11 from the NCAA because Charlotte is a bigger market that Greenville.[/quote]

I wish. I really do think Charlotte would be interesting for the SEC if Arkansas ever did leave. But I could also say Tulane would be interesting for the SEC too. Hell, even Miami, FSU or Clemson may want to jump ship.[/quote]

SEC already recruits NC hardcore for football and they don’t care about having a basketball footprint here. Tulane definitely doesn’t matter to them. They have LSU, why would they want Tulane?

They would most likely go after an ACC team, GaTech, Clemson or FSU. I don’t know that Miami would fit their profile. They only have, what, one private school?

[quote=“Powerbait, post:28, topic:22398”][quote=“Normmm, post:26, topic:22398”][quote=“stonecoldken, post:25, topic:22398”]Texas to Big 10, so they get a title game.

I wish. I really do think Charlotte would be interesting for the SEC if Arkansas ever did leave. But I could also say Tulane would be interesting for the SEC too. Hell, even Miami, FSU or Clemson may want to jump ship.[/quote]

SEC already recruits NC hardcore for football and they don’t care about having a basketball footprint here. Tulane definitely doesn’t matter to them. They have LSU, why would they want Tulane?

They would most likely go after an ACC team, GaTech, Clemson or FSU. I don’t know that Miami would fit their profile. They only have, what, one private school?[/quote]

I agree, none of them make a lot of sense. But if Arkansas left, they’d have to get somebody. I’m not convinced an ACC school would jump ship. Tulane would bring an in state rival for LSU. They have MSU/Ole Miss, Vandy/UT, Alabama/Auburn. Plus good academics for a league that’s constantly getting accused of having low standards.

Any one of the schools I listed would likely jump at the chance to be in the SEC. Better football conference, in state rival and arguably as good in basketball. Definitely a better all around conference. We’re not big time enough for the SEC. I don’t think any NC school is really, except maybe Chapel Hill and no way they’d go to the SEC.

SEC already has a prescense in LA, FL, GA, & SC, so Tulane, FSU, Miami, GT, & Clemson R not needed.

Now NC is growing, & is now the 10th largest state, & we’re the largest city in this state. We may not be big time yet, but our potential is huge. Like USF in FL for the BE.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:31, topic:22398”]SEC already has a prescense in LA, FL, GA, & SC, so Tulane, FSU, Miami, GT, & Clemson R not needed.

Now NC is growing, & is now the 10th largest state, & we’re the largest city in this state. We may not be big time yet, but our potential is huge. Like USF in FL for the BE.[/quote]

Wishful thinking, but you’re right, the potential is there for us. It’s just a matter of how long it’s going to take for Charlotte to get there. A SEC affiliation would absolutely catapult the school and the city. If I had to choose the Carolina Panthers becoming a dynasty, winning 3 Super Bowls in a row, or the Univ of Charlotte becoming the NC representative of the SEC, it would be no contest! I’d take the SEC…

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:25, topic:22398”]Texas to Big 10, so they get a title game.
Usto SEC, to keep theirs. They get a temp. title waiver with 11 from theNCAA because Charlotte is a bigger market that Greenville.[/quote]

SCK wins.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:31, topic:22398”]SEC already has a prescense in LA, FL, GA, & SC, so Tulane, FSU, Miami, GT, & Clemson R not needed.

Now NC is growing, & is now the 10th largest state, & we’re the largest city in this state. We may not be big time yet, but our potential is huge. Like USF in FL for the BE.[/quote]

Oh…

…you were serious?

Arkansas would not leave the SEC for the Big 12 now, even less so if Texas was gone. Who leaves a conference with better exposure and a higher payout? No one, that’s who. Would the Big 12 make a play for Arkansas first, yes. Would they get them, especially without Texas, no.

All I will say is that the former USF AD now at GT, told the feasability group that two BCS conferences were watching Charlotte and would be interested in us. he did not name any names, but I think we know one is the Big East - the other ??? ??

hmmmm…

The only three conferences that would make geographic sense would be the BE, ACC, and SEC. I think it’s safe to say we can eliminate the ACC. They already have 4 schools in North Carolina and a 5th 2 hours from Charlotte, I just can’t see them ever inviting Charlotte.

I missed this meeting sadly enough. What EXACTLY did Paul Griffin say on this? I could be wrong but I think we all discussed at the time that he said FBS conferences, not BCS. Which means Sun Belt and CUSA, not Big East and SEC.

That’s kind of my point, that if we were in a BCS league and ECU was not, I think it would help us to surpass them in football and baseball. If we’re in the same conference I think it will make football recruiting much more difficult.[/quote]

When we get to Division 1, there are 6 schools that will be tougher to recruit against than ECU, even if they are in our conference. Wake, VTech, UNC-CH, UNC-R, Clemson, and South Carolina all rob from Charlotte and our base area more than ECU does. Tennessee, Georgia, and Georgia Tech are just as much as, if not more of a threat to pull talent out from the metro-Charlotte area than ECU is. ECU, during their good years, has done their damage in recruiting by keeping the big talent east of I-95 at home and getting some good players out of Florida. Amato dipped into that east of I-95 area while he was there and took a lot of players out of ECU recruiting grounds, and it hurt ECU until Holtz showed up. ECU also dips into the Norfolk area also for some of their talent. By my count, ECU’s roster last season had 5 players from Mecklenburg or its surrounding counties on their roster. There were about as many from the Triad area.

That’s kind of my point, that if we were in a BCS league and ECU was not, I think it would help us to surpass them in football and baseball. If we’re in the same conference I think it will make football recruiting much more difficult.[/quote]

When we get to Division 1, there are 6 schools that will be tougher to recruit against than ECU, even if they are in our conference. Wake, VTech, UNC-CH, UNC-R, Clemson, and South Carolina all rob from Charlotte and our base area more than ECU does. Tennessee, Georgia, and Georgia Tech are just as much as, if not more of a threat to pull talent out from the metro-Charlotte area than ECU is.[/quote]

Right. But by that list, if ECU is 7th, we’re at best 8th. So if we were in a better conference than ECU, then we might become 7th and ECU becomes 8th. I’m not really considering the other schools, because like basketball, for the most part we are not competing for the same players. But we definitely will be recruiting against ECU, and probably Wake.

I know very little about their typical rosters. But after just looking it up, I counted more like 10 on the 2009 roster if you include areas like Wingate, Gastonia and Salisbury as being in the Charlotte area.

But more interestingly, it appears that the top rusher, top tackler and top QB sacks on the 2009 roster were all from the Charlotte area.