Do you want to be in the same conference as ECU?

Depends for me. If it ends up being a BCS conference, I say no.

If we’re in a big 6 conference, I don’t care if EZU is in or not.

agreed.

I would like to be. They’d provide us with a good instate rival with a large fanbase. They have a terrible basketball program, but their other sports are pretty solid.

If we never get into a BCS conference, I’d like to see something like this:

Football:
Charlotte
Temple
ECU
UMass
URI
UCF
Old Dominion
Appalachian
Richmond
Marshall

Non-Football
VCU
Davidson/Winthrop

This would be a league that would still be capable of getting 3+ teams into the tournament for basketball and would give us a decent football conference as well assuming UMass, Richmond, App, and Charlotte all make a successful jump to FBS from FCS. If Richmond wouldn’t like to make the jump to FBS, sub in Western Kentucky.

[quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:22398”]I would like to be. They’d provide us with a good instate rival with a large fanbase. They have a terrible basketball program, but their other sports are pretty solid.

If we never get into a BCS conference, I’d like to see something like this:

Football:
Charlotte
Temple
ECU
UMass
URI
UCF
Old Dominion
Appalachian
Richmond
Marshall

Non-Football
VCU
Davidson/Winthrop

This would be a league that would still be capable of getting 3+ teams into the tournament for basketball and would give us a decent football conference as well assuming UMass, Richmond, App, and Charlotte all make a successful jump to FBS from FCS. If Richmond wouldn’t like to make the jump to FBS, sub in Western Kentucky.[/quote]

NonBCS I don’t mind this.

agreed.[/quote]

If we’re in a big 6 conference and ECU is there too, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me either. But if we made it to BCS conference I would rather have that recruiting leverage against ECU. 6 BCS teams in the same state would make recruiting much more difficult.

BCS Conference wise the Big East has the least amount of Football teams, but have too many basketball schools, so I wouldnt mind seeing our football team in the Big East and the rest stay A10, but if some of the Big East schools without football broke off to start a new conference, say all of them but Notre Dame, they could have a successful conference with those 5 plus say like Siena and a few other northern schools of that nature and then we could be a full Big East school. but thats a ways down the road, and theyre are a few FCS schools that want to move up and several talks about conference realignments or new conferences anyway. But wishful thinking, A10 with Big East football.

I wouldn’t have a problem with them being in OUR conference :slight_smile:

If they’re going to take us for football only, they most as well take us for everything. We wouldn’t bring the same thing to the table that ND brings to offer us football only.

I think best case scenario would be for 3 teams from the BE to jump to the Big10. Thus making the BE seriously think about blowing up the football and basketball mix conference. I would hope the basketball schools would say enough and create a basketball conference. Then the remaining football schools could create a new conference.

[quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:22398”]If we never get into a BCS conference, I’d like to see something like this:

Football:
Charlotte
Temple
ECU
UMass
URI
UCF
Old Dominion
Appalachian
Richmond
Marshall

Non-Football
VCU
Davidson/Winthrop

This would be a league that would still be capable of getting 3+ teams into the tournament for basketball and would give us a decent football conference as well assuming UMass, Richmond, App, and Charlotte all make a successful jump to FBS from FCS. If Richmond wouldn’t like to make the jump to FBS, sub in Western Kentucky.[/quote]

Richmond is unlikely to make the jump, and URI’s football program is terrible.

I like the idea, though. I think what’s more likely to happen is that we’ll see something like the C-USA East and the Sun Belt break off and form a new conference, in addition to Charlotte, App (maybe), and perhaps Georgia Southern. This conference still wouldn’t be strong enough to get a BCS bid, though.

Georgia Southern is probably the only FCS team in the South that wants to move up right now, they already completed their FBS study. I also heard James Madison may begin an FBS study as well.

we NEED to be in ECUs conference

and they NEED to get better at hoops

we NEED a rivalry

Georgia Southern could definitely make the jump, but right now they’re under an AD who, according to their fans, is bringing the athletics department down and delaying any progress they might have.

As for JMU, they’re looking into expanding the stadium and are the most likely candidate from the CAA to move up.

From a football perspective, I think many ASU fans (me included) could say the same thing for App that Metro is saying for Charlotte hoops.

[quote=“Appfan13, post:10, topic:22398”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:22398”]If we never get into a BCS conference, I’d like to see something like this:

Football:
Charlotte
Temple
ECU
UMass
URI
UCF
Old Dominion
Appalachian
Richmond
Marshall

Non-Football
VCU
Davidson/Winthrop

Richmond is unlikely to make the jump, and URI’s football program is terrible.

I like the idea, though. I think what’s more likely to happen is that we’ll see something like the C-USA East and the Sun Belt break off and form a new conference, in addition to Charlotte, App (maybe), and perhaps Georgia Southern. This conference still wouldn’t be strong enough to get a BCS bid, though.[/quote]I don’t care if URI’s football program sucks, we need schools with decent basketball programs as well. Everything cannot (and shouldn’t) be focused solely around football.

That’s fine, but there’s no way URI will move their football program up to be in that conference. They’ll disband it before that happens.

I still think you’ll see the eastern Sun Belt schools (South Alabama, Troy, MTSU) split off with some of the eastern C-USA schools (ECU, Marshall) and form a new conference in the Southeast with App, Charlotte, JMU and Georgia State.

Georgia Southern could definitely make the jump, but right now they’re under an AD who, according to their fans, is bringing the athletics department down and delaying any progress they might have.

As for JMU, they’re looking into expanding the stadium and are the most likely candidate from the CAA to move up.

From a football perspective, I think many ASU fans (me included) could say the same thing for App that Metro is saying for Charlotte hoops.[/quote]

Yea you are right about GSU, I grew up close to there and have a krap load of friends there. They do say the AD is terrible and hurting GSU pride greatly. But no one can move anywhere until 2013 I believe anyway. But its always fun to talk it up and share ideas about who should move where, and new conferences forming etc. I know some changes are needed, with more schools adding football and more are going to want to be FBS, and there are 331 ( i believe that number is right) D1 schools too so changes are needed, such as maybe more conferences for football, a bigger NCAA tourney field for bball etc etc

Georgia State has aspirations to do the FCS minimum and move up to FBS football. It should be fairly easy for them as well, as they will be playing in the Georgia Dome. They have a lot in common with us, Big State school in a Huge Metro, decent overall athletics, and decent basketball program (all of which could improve). I’d rather see them in a conference with us than Georgia Southern.

[quote=“Appfan13, post:15, topic:22398”]That’s fine, but there’s no way URI will move their football program up to be in that conference. They’ll disband it before that happens.

I still think you’ll see the eastern Sun Belt schools (South Alabama, Troy, MTSU) split off with some of the eastern C-USA schools (ECU, Marshall) and form a new conference in the Southeast with App, Charlotte, JMU and Georgia State.[/quote]I just don’t see us joining a conference like that. It would be a death sentence for basketball. We’d by far be the team with the most basketball success and that’s not saying much lately.

[quote=“Niner National, post:18, topic:22398”][quote=“Appfan13, post:15, topic:22398”]That’s fine, but there’s no way URI will move their football program up to be in that conference. They’ll disband it before that happens.

I still think you’ll see the eastern Sun Belt schools (South Alabama, Troy, MTSU) split off with some of the eastern C-USA schools (ECU, Marshall) and form a new conference in the Southeast with App, Charlotte, JMU and Georgia State.[/quote]I just don’t see us joining a conference like that. It would be a death sentence for basketball. We’d by far be the team with the most basketball success and that’s not saying much lately.[/quote]

This is true. I don’t know if there really is a perfect solution here. I think this would be a better conference regionally and would fare much better in football and rivalires, but that is ultimately not in Charlotte’s best interest. Perhaps Charlotte could strike a deal like Temple has and play football in the MAC while still playing basketball in the A10.

As for Georgia State, having to rent out the Dome and play in the same city as a team that went to a BCS bowl this past season, I don’t know if it will be “fairly easy.”

They will struggle mightily…they have only sold 1,000 season tickets for their inaugral football season this fall!