Dr Tabor on The Discovery Channel Sunday

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/about/about.html

Although most wont like the content of the show, Dr Tabor will be an expert opinion on The Lost Tomb of Jesus this Sunday at 9. Should be interesting at the very least.

Heck…they even credit the University correctly!!!

Heck...they even credit the University correctly!!!!!!

[SIZE=6]NO WAY!!![/SIZE]

This is one time I wished they did mess up the university’s name.

I’ve seen him in multiple documentaries before. They usually just say University of North Carolina :frowning:

This is one time where I wish they would’ve got our name wrong. Dr. Tabor may claim to be an “expert”, but his bias is there. Didn’t he write “The Jesus Dynasty” or something to that extent btw.

I’d prefer not to be associated with Dr. Tabor. Still don’t understand how a man of such school of thought thrives so well in the Bible Belt… :dry:

I'd prefer not to be associated with Dr. Tabor. Still don't understand how a man of such school of thought thrives so well in the Bible Belt... :dry:

Lately, it has become popular with theologists, biblical scholars, and professors to try to “make their career” by assaulting the Christian religion. It draws much attention (from the lib media) and much money/funding (from the lib academic institutions - who see powerful, organized religion as a threat to free thought, etc)… even when their “discoveries” are devoid of actual evidence or proof.

DaVinci Code anyone?

Well, he is a smart guy. I don’t know what you guys are all upset about. He’s not saying that it is Jesus’ tomb. He is providing interpretation of Hebrew names and speaking about the likelyhood of those names showing up in the same tomb.

As for the Jesus Dynasty, yes, he wrote it. He is also working on a literal interpretation from ancient Hebrew to English of the oldest known biblical documents, including the Dead Sea Scrolls. I think it is incredibly interesting. Have you read any of it?

You may not agree with a lot of his work…but the man is a very intelligent and represents our University well. He doesnt have an agenda…as others seem to claim. He just has a passion of anitquties…specifically understanding the historical Jesus.

I doubt there are many people who can match his knowledge of Jesus, Paul, and 1st century Christianity as a whole. Give the guy a break. He’s not trying to “destroy” religions!

[QUOTE=Noreaster;221475]Well, he is a smart guy. I don’t know what you guys are all upset about. He’s not saying that it is Jesus’ tomb. He is providing interpretation of Hebrew names and speaking about the likelyhood of those names showing up in the same tomb.[/QUOTE]

I dont know in what context he was going to be speaking regarding the “Jesus Tomb”, but I figured that was the case. He, like most biblical scholars, are highly skeptical regarding these finds. Tabor was very skeptical of the James Ossuary that was talked about a few years ago, but we has interested none the less.

i think this whole thing is the dumbest ploy ever. If the disciples and other followers were to have “made this all up” and then burried Jesus somewhere else, they wouldn’t have wrote his name on the tomb.

I seriously doubt he was the only guy with the name Jesus that ever walked the earth, between those days and until the country of Mexico was formed

i think this whole thing is the dumbest ploy ever. If the disciples and other followers were to have "made this all up" and then burried Jesus somewhere else, they wouldn't have wrote his name on the tomb.

I seriously doubt he was the only guy with the name Jesus that ever walked the earth, between those days and until the country of Mexico was formed

In fact, Dr. Tabor says that Jesus was a fairly common name back then. So was every other name in the tomb, according to him.

In fact, Dr. Tabor says that Jesus was a fairly common name back then. So was every other name in the tomb, according to him.

I have read as well from other sources that this is true. Very common names.

[QUOTE=casstommy;221476]Give the guy a break. He’s not trying to “destroy” religions![/QUOTE]
I guess you’re right Cass. I mean he only said that Jesus was not immaculately concieved and that Jesus could not have ressurected. Of course that stuff aside he is leaving the faith based teachings of Christianity alone… :rolleyes:

And yes, Jesus was a common name. It is actually translated as Jeshewa (sp*) or Joshua.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;221481]I have read as well from other sources that this is true. Very common names.[/QUOTE]

I went snooping around his blog and found this:

[QUOTE][B]4) The name “Jesus” was a popular name in the first century, appearing in 98 other tombs and on 21 other ossuaries[/B]

I guess it depends on what one means by popular. Based on Tal Ilan’s comprehensive survey of forms of the name “Joshua” (Yeshua/Jesus) from 330 BCE to 200 CE in both literary and inscriptional sources we get 103 examples or a 1 in 17.9 ratio compared to all male Jewish names known. As far as ossuaries go, however, the only one that has come from a provenanced tomb with the name “Jesus son of Joseph” is the Talpiot tomb. But the real issue is not the “popularity” of an individual name, but the probability of this cluster of names occuring in a single small family tomb with ten ossuaries, and further, to what degree these names, in the forms we have them, fit or don’t fit what we know historically of Jesus and his family.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ChevEE;221482]I guess you’re right Cass. I mean he only said that Jesus was not immaculately concieved and that Jesus could not have ressurected. Of course that stuff aside he is leaving the faith based teachings of Christianity alone… :rolleyes:

And yes, Jesus was a common name. It is actually translated as Jeshewa (sp*) or Joshua.[/QUOTE]

Tabors quest it to explore the life of Jesus from a historical context. Seeing as how all the evidence that Jesus was born of a virgin, crucified, and rose from the dead to sit at the right hand of God is kinda hard to substantiate, I dont really know how you go about exploring the life of the most popular name in the history of the world. You act as if he has a quest to see all of christianity come tumbling to the ground. Thats just no the case.

Quite frankly, his findings put forth in the Jesus Dynasty are not anything that is ground breaking or tjat have not been discussed before.

[QUOTE=ninerID;221479]i think this whole thing is the dumbest ploy ever. If the disciples and other followers were to have “made this all up” and then burried Jesus somewhere else, they wouldn’t have wrote his name on the tomb.
[/QUOTE]

not to mention the fact the apostles were devistated and didn’t not expect Jesus Death and went into hiding dejected, once they got “it” and the resurrection they weren’t expecting they then all took their message to the bitter ends on earth. I highly doubt they would’ve done this if Jesus was earthly and buried with the rest of his family.

I also wonder why the Romans weren’t able to pull off what Cameron is claiming he has…they sure did try.

secular attacks are never founded in common sense though.

not to mention the fact the apostles were devistated and didn't not expect Jesus Death and went into hiding dejected, once they got "it" and the resurrection they weren't expecting they then all took their message to the bitter ends on earth. I highly doubt they would've done this if Jesus was earthly and buried with the rest of his family.

I also wonder why the Romans weren’t able to pull off what Cameron is claiming he has…they sure did try.

secular attacks are never founded in common sense though.

I strongly encourage you to read some of the gospels that were not canonized and not included in the Bible. Some of them paint a slightly different picture. I’m not saying one is right or wrong. That is up to you and the way you interpret your faith. I’m just saying that it is important to learn as much as you can.

Dumb BS=Lots of $.
Obviously Tabor & the rest of the cast are $ grubbers.
How can you know this is the Jesus? There are a kabillion people named Jesus in ancient Israel. I’m not calling it the P word.

[QUOTE=NinerOne;221491]secular attacks are never founded in common sense though.[/QUOTE]
o rly?

Some of you folks need to get over yourselves. Your personal savior just happens to be a noteworthy person with quite a bit of mystery about him. You’ve got to expect (secular) investigations into his life [B]because, for a lot of people, it just isn’t common sense to believe in invisible magical beings and zombies[/B].:scared:

And the point still remains… you’ve got faith in the Jesus story; you have no doubts that it’s true. So… wtf are you afraid of? If someone investigates into the story, he or she should only find to be true what you knew all along, right? Right??