Drayton to redshirt per Observer

I didn’t see it mentioned here yet. Story linked to the left on main page. According to his statement, it sounds like he can come back 100% next year. Carlton Anderson, head trainer, said in pregame show on Saturday that he won’t need surgery. It’s just a matter of rest and rehab.

FWIW, The Ghost of Jim Utter posted it in the shoutbox (a link anyway) earlier but not in a thread otherwise.

Good news, we will need his size next year.

Cool, something to look forward to next year.

Lets pray he comes back 110% next year we’ll need him and Alexander to lead this team next year

[QUOTE=Florida49er;149503]FWIW, The Ghost of Jim Utter posted it in the shoutbox (a link anyway) earlier but not in a thread otherwise.[/QUOTE]
I hope he cleared that with the boss.

We might be just as good or better next year. Take NC State and Florida for example. Teams that were pretty good last year, are very good this year, after losing their star players.

Drayton To Take Red-Shirt Season
Tendinitis in Knee Has Caused Him To Miss Last 11 Games

Jan. 18, 2006

Halton Arena - Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball coach Bobby Lutz has announced that senior forward E.J. Drayton (Charlotte, N.C./Vance High) will apply for a medical hardship for the 2005-06 season and will return to the team, next year.

Drayton has suffered from tendinitis in his left knee and has been unable to practice on a consistent basis since late November. He has not played in the last 11 games.

“After discussing this with the medical staff, the coaching staff and my parents, I have decided that it is in my best interest to sit out the rest of this season and come back next year at full strength,” said Drayton. “My parents said they were behind me whatever decision I made. It’s frustrating to sit and watch my fellow teammates but I think I can be of greater assistance to them next year when I’m back to 100%.”

“While we have and will miss him on this year’s team, we support his decision and look forward to him returning for the 06-07 season completely healthy,” Lutz said. “E.J. becomes our best recruit for next season as he will be an experienced `new’ player again next season. There is no doubt he could have contributed greatly to our season but at least this injury is not career ending.”

www.charlotte49ers.com

Glad to hear EJ is getting another year, I’d hate for the kid to end his Niner career like that.

BUT… this means we’re out of schollies next year, right? Courtney better hit the weight room hard in the off season.