Eli Manning now the highest paid NFL player

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4378407]Link[/URL]

I just don’t see anyway in which you could validate paying him that much, but I admittedly am biased against him, so somebody explain it to me

Shouldn’t be a suprise. He was the next big name QB up for a deal. He will get passed before long.

Didn’t he get an extension a year ago after the SB victory?

NM

He didn’t, but still Corky Thacher shouldn’t be the highest paid player in the NFL.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;422919]He didn’t, but still Corky Thacher shouldn’t be the highest paid player in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I’d rather it be him than Albert Haynesworth.

I'd rather it be him than Albert Haynesworth.

There are two differences though:

1. Hanyesworth was a unrestricted free agent, so he was paid market value, which obviously was driven up by the Snyder and the Redskins. Eli never saw the open market.

2. Haynesworth is the best player at his position. Eli Manning is somewhere between 5-10 at his position.

2. Haynesworth is the best player at his position. Eli Manning is somewhere between 5-10 at his position.

I would argue closer to 10 than 5

QB’s are ALWAYS going to be the highest paid… and RARELY will a franchise QB get to UFA status. QB+Manning Last name + NY + SB MVP = $$$$$$$$$

Again, this shouldn’t be a suprise.

[QUOTE=s9er;422916]Shouldn’t be a suprise. He was the next big name QB up for a deal. He will get passed before long.[/QUOTE]

This. The next time a top 10 QB gets a new contract it will surpass Eli’s deal. Also, football contracts are always tricky because players almost never play out their entire deals and a lot of the money isn’t guarenteed.

Where is the research that says he is the highest paid? The article stated that he is[U][B] among [/B][/U] the highest-paid players now.

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5526][COLOR=#225fb2]Eli Manning[/COLOR][/URL] has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the [URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyg][COLOR=#225fb2]New York Giants[/COLOR][/URL] that will make him among the highest-paid players in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Good point, Peppers has the highest salary this year… You could look at it a numbers if ways. Annual sallary, signing bonus, potential max with bonus… It is all crazy $$. Actual and real dollars in the NFL are usually totally differnet beasts.

Now the NHL has taken NFL funny money an made is completely insane. Marian Hossa, 12 year deal. Didn’t Rick DiPietro got a 87 year 21.4 billion dollar deal a couple of years ago.

Now the NHL has taken NFL funny money an made is completely insane. Marian Hossa, 12 year deal. Didn't Rick DiPietro got a 87 year 21.4 billion dollar deal a couple of years ago.
If that was back-end loaded I'd make sure I was cryogenically frozen with the stipulation that I'd split it with my great-grandkids when they re-animate me.

He won a Super Bowl for the largest media market in the world- make perfect sense to me.