ESPN: Big Ten expansion push heating up

Sounds like Big Ten is getting ready to make some moves…

ESPN.com: Big Ten expansion push heating up

Hopefully we don’t get screwed this time around

in conference shuffles, you are never screwed. You are what you want to be…

I don’t know what the B10 is wanting, but I expect it is only 12 teams. If they don’t get ND, and take a school from the BE or B12, I expect whichever of those conferences will add another school and that will be that. And it won’t be us.

But even if something crazy like 5 teams joining the B10 happens, I still don’t see us being one of the schools to get called up. Football will have to be farther along before we are eligible in my view.

The Big 10, because of the Big 10 Network, is the only power conference that could gain significantly from expanding beyond 12. If the Big 10 takes 2 or more football teams from the Big East then the BE will no longer be an Auto-Qualifier in the BCS and most likely will split into football and basketball conferences. Xavier and Dayton are the top 2 teams for the basketball conference. Even if the Big 10 gets ND to come aboard, we’ll still lose Xavier to the Big East. Temple might be a target for the football side as well. The A-10 stands to lose a team if ND or more than 2 BE teams are lost to the Big 10. Our best case is 1 BE team to be replaced by 1 CUSA team.

in conference shuffles, you are never screwed. You are what you want to be…[/quote]
except for the fact that what we want to be (a school that has football) is years away and what we really want to be (a team that has FBS football) is even further away.

Glad we decided to drag our feet.

in conference shuffles, you are never screwed. You are what you want to be…[/quote]
except for the fact that what we want to be (a school that has football) is years away and what we really want to be (a team that has FBS football) is even further away.

Glad we decided to drag our feet.[/quote]

What I find the most ironic is that if you would have said this 5 years ago some of the folks who have since bought FSL’s on here would be shouting you down and asking you where the money for football was going to come from. Remember that this was the same time period where we were moving to the A-10 from CUSA and there was considerable discontent among Niner fans about it. Hindsight is always 20/20 so I’ll leave it at that except to say that if you didn’t know the day of the basketball-based conference was over in 2003, then you’ll get a shocking refresher on it if the Big 10 takes 2 BE schools.

From Eric Crawford of The Courier-Journal in Louisville:

Courier-Journal.com: Big East could become the Big Empty

The BCS sure did screw up college athletics, didn’t they?

Depends heavily on your perspective. If we were one of the teams the BE took 5 years ago, we’d still be well aware of its wholly negative impact on college sports, but if we’re raking in the $$ benefits…I won’t speak for you but I’d gladly wear a shit-eating grin while watching the Niners on ESPN and CBS at least 7-8 times a year.

[quote=“Run49er, post:8, topic:23101”]From Eric Crawford of The Courier-Journal in Louisville:

Courier-Journal.com: Big East could become the Big Empty[/quote]

One interesting point in this article is that any school that is planning on leaving is contractually obligated to stay in the Big East for 27 months after they inform the league of their intention to leave. That means that if the fiscal year begins in July, and they haven’t yet announced their intention to leave as of today, the earliest they could move is the 2013-2014 school year. More than likely, it will be 2014-2015, unless they can start a school year in one league and finish it in another, which I don’t think you can do.

[quote=“Noreaster, post:11, topic:23101”][quote=“Run49er, post:8, topic:23101”]From Eric Crawford of The Courier-Journal in Louisville:

Courier-Journal.com: Big East could become the Big Empty[/quote]

One interesting point in this article is that any school that is planning on leaving is contractually obligated to stay in the Big East for 27 months after they inform the league of their intention to leave. That means that if the fiscal year begins in July, and they haven’t yet announced their intention to leave as of today, the earliest they could move is the 2013-2014 school year. More than likely, it will be 2014-2015, unless they can start a school year in one league and finish it in another, which I don’t think you can do.[/quote]

Which means we will at the very least have a team on the field. Hopefully that is enough to get us into a league that is willing to wait a few years for our football to be ready to jump.

The big question could be how much is it worth to the Big 10 to expand earlier? From looking back at the ACC’s “raiding” of the Big East, it was noted that there was a 27-month notice or a $5 million exit fee if the school were to leave earlier.

Depends heavily on your perspective. If we were one of the teams the BE took 5 years ago, we’d still be well aware of its wholly negative impact on college sports, but if we’re raking in the $$ benefits…I won’t speak for you but I’d gladly wear a s***-eating grin while watching the Niners on ESPN and CBS at least 7-8 times a year.[/quote]

That’s beside the point. Of course I’d take the money (we all would), but the BCS still screwed up college athletics. A “mythical” football chamnpionship system has screwed up college basketball.

With the 27 month requirement (assuming the basketball schools don’t waive it for compensation) the Big 10 and any school they invite will have until April 1st of next year to announce their intention to join the Big 10 on July 1st of 2013. Highly doubtful they wait another year. That means we’ll be playing our first year of FCS football the same year the new teams play in the Big 10. Most likely all the dominoes will be in place already. Either the Big East will no longer be a football sponsoring conference with their remaining teams playing elsewhere or they will already have their replacement schools (from CUSA?) in place; conversly all other conferences will also have replacement teams in place. This will all be over and set before we play 1 down of FCS football.

I’m going to laugh if the Big East just turns into what CUSA was in the past. If they decide to keep football, their most likely candidates would probably all be from CUSA. Half the conference or more would then be comprised of former CUSA members.

They use some sort of sticker/decal for the logos on the court now instead of paint don’t they? We could be in our third conference in Halton soon. I guess that saves us a lot of money.

Unfourtunately that new conference for us could very well be the CAA.

Assuming that the B10 takes Cuse, Pitt and Rutgers; that would leave only WVU as an original BE football conference member.

so we’re pretty much going to get f’d again.

yes, lube up.