European Soccer Thread

I always liked the city and what the club stood for. As a kid I was a big Man U fan, but over time I grew tired of the corporate nature of the game in general... if it wasn't for the UNICEF deal I probably would have given up on it altogether.

Man U fan turned Barca fan. That’s classic :biggrin:

Lol, how lucky can Arsenal get? They scored the first goal today off of a deflection. Gallas was actually trying to get out of the way of the ball but instead it hit him in the back and the ball took a wicked deflection in the opposite corner of where the GK was diving. The second came from an own goal.

The other results in the champions league playoff qualifiers today:

Timisoara - Stuttgart 0-2
FC Sheriff - Olympiakos 0-2
Sporting - Fiorentina 2-2
Celtic - Arsenal 0-2
Copenhagen - APOEL 1-0

Safe to say home teams didn’t do too hot eh? I think it’s safe to say that Stuttgart, Olympiakos and Arsenal are already through to the group stage. The other two ties can definitely turn around in the second leg but I see Fiorentina going through (they have amazing home support and two goals away in Europe is HUGE). APOEL are incredibly tough to play in Cyprus so that one is definitely a toss up.

BTW MAJOR props to Fox today for starting off their 3 seasons of CL football with an amazing broadcast. They had 3 matches live simultaneously on 3 separate channels and they also had HD coverage of Celtic - Arsenal on FSN HD. AMAZING! Better than anything ESPN ever did concerning the Champions League.

Who was it that I was having the Nani vs. Ronaldo argument before? I’m watching Man Utd today against Besiktas and Nani is just so terrible and he’s getting the chance to play in Ronaldo’s position. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets taken out at HT.

BTW Ronaldo scored a cracker of a goal from a FK to open the scoring for Real at lowly Zurich. Real is up 3-0 at HT.

Elsewhere:
Marseille - Milan 0-1
Wolfsburg - CSKA Moskow 2-0

Every other game is 0-0 at HT. Not surprised about the low scoring matches in the first day. Teams are being cautious.

BTW I love that Pippo Inzaghi scored at Marseilles to take his goal tally in the CL to 66 (tied for first all time with Raul) and then Raul went ahead and scored in his game and now he’s back on top with 67 :biggrin:

[QUOTE=SteauA;424831]Man U fan turned Barca fan. That’s classic :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

What do you expect? How does an American go about selecting a team?

Am I supposed to purposefully look for a team that sucks?

You should be a Fulham fan like me.

Misery loves company

besiktas was robbed. what a gimp goal

Haha, yes. Man U and Barca fans from the US are the equivalent of Duke and UNC fans from the UK or something like that.

I don’t really care myself, but I find it more fun to root for a team that I have some slight connection with.

Celtic - I’m Scottish and HATE the English.
Manchester City - Watched Oasis in their stadium.
Liverpool - Cause I’ve been there and… like red.
Newcastle - Cause I’ve been there and love Newcastle Ale and have actually been educated in Newcastle about the proper way to drink Newcastle (always in a bottle, never in a glass).

[QUOTE=49or bust;431380]Newcastle - Cause I’ve been there and love Newcastle Ale and have actually been educated in Newcastle about the proper way to drink Newcastle (always in a bottle, never in a glass).[/QUOTE]

Now that’s a very legit reason!

I like Chelsea, because their owner is a rich Jew.

Lew, you don’t have to defend your choices in soccer teams. Root for who you enjoy watching. That’s what I do. As a Chelsea fan, I should hate Liverpool, Barca and several others. But I’m American and don’t get wrapped up in that hate. I like them all, because they have great players and are fun to watch.

For the record, American soccer fans should never ever talk trash about their European soccer teams.

Here you go fellas

http://obsent.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-bar-set-to-open-in-brevard-court.html

Pompey finally won today.

no european but this is the goal of the week
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9njJhb_bI&feature=related[/URL]

Really sad not to see The Toon not in the Premier League this year. A loss today, but they got a good start in the LC. Hope they are back up in the EPL next season.

On a brighter note, Chelsea a perfect 6-0 on the Table :biggrin:

Pompey finally won today.

Yeah, in the League Cup against a 4th division side. It’s actually sad they conceived a goal.

[QUOTE=SteauA;432920]Yeah, in the League Cup against a 4th division side. It’s actually sad they conceived a goal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah…It was off a pk though.

Well…Pompey are still without points but played well against Everton Saturday. Who knows, maybe they’ll see their first W vs. Wolverhampton this week. PUP PPU!

Well...Pompey are still without points but played well against Everton Saturday. Who knows, maybe they'll see their first W vs. Wolverhampton this week. PUP PPU!

they’ll have a chance against wolves but i don’t see pompey doing much until the transfer window opens up again and they can get some help because their current roster would struggle in the championship.

Milan - Zurich 0-1

Is Leonardo fired yet? Milan has been one terrible joke this season.

The more I watch Madrid on the other hand, I’m starting to actually believe that they can be a VERY SERIOUS contender to finally win the Champions League this season. Kaka, Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso and Benzema have blended much faster than I thought they would and I think Pellegrini is the perfect manager for that team. If they start playing defense as consistently as they do offense watch out! Oh and Ronaldo scored twice more today, he’s f*ckin ridiculous. That’s 9 goals in 7 appearances so far this season. Pretty good start to his Real Madrid career I’d say.

they'll have a chance against wolves but i don't see pompey doing much until the transfer window opens up again and they can get some help because their current roster would struggle in the championship.

Milan - Zurich 0-1

Is Leonardo fired yet? Milan has been one terrible joke this season.

The more I watch Madrid on the other hand, I’m starting to actually believe that they can be a VERY SERIOUS contender to finally win the Champions League this season. Kaka, Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso and Benzema have blended much faster than I thought they would and I think Pellegrini is the perfect manager for that team. If they start playing defense as consistently as they do offense watch out! Oh and Ronaldo scored twice more today, he’s f*ckin ridiculous. That’s 9 goals in 7 appearances so far this season. Pretty good start to his Real Madrid career I’d say.

Milan just didn’t spend the money after getting rid of Kaka. They also lost Aubameyang and Gourcouff. They are hoarding money right now I suppose. The reason you take big money for guys like Kaka is to reinvest in new players. Not sure what Milan is doing. Madrid did the opposite and its paying off.

Milan just didn't spend the money after getting rid of Kaka. They also lost Aubameyang and Gourcouff. They are hoarding money right now I suppose. The reason you take big money for guys like Kaka is to reinvest in new players. Not sure what Milan is doing. Madrid did the opposite and its paying off.

Milan is Milan and a club of their stature is not allowed to have a season like this, it just CAN’T happen. Their roster is good enough to get much better results than what they are getting right now, the problem is the inexperienced manager. Berlusconi tried to follow the Barcelona method and promote the young up and comer but the difference is that while Barca has a relatively young roster who is willing to be coached by a young guy with new ideas and excitement, Milan has a roster full of “geezers” who listened to Ancelotti most of their careers and probably want nothing to do with Leonardo. I’m confident that as soon as they will make a managerial change (which will happen soon enough if these results continue) they will start to improve. They can’t compete for the CL or Serie A this season but they are good enough to finish top 4 in Italy and maybe advance as far as the Quarterfinals in the CL, however that won’t happen with Leonardo on the bench.

[QUOTE=SteauA;434253]Milan is Milan and a club of their stature is not allowed to have a season like this, it just CAN’T happen. Their roster is good enough to get much better results than what they are getting right now, the problem is the inexperienced manager. Berlusconi tried to follow the Barcelona method and promote the young up and comer but the difference is that while Barca has a relatively young roster who is willing to be coached by a young guy with new ideas and excitement, Milan has a roster full of “geezers” who listened to Ancelotti most of their careers and probably want nothing to do with Leonardo. I’m confident that as soon as they will make a managerial change (which will happen soon enough if these results continue) they will start to improve. They can’t compete for the CL or Serie A this season but they are good enough to finish top 4 in Italy and maybe advance as far as the Quarterfinals in the CL, however that won’t happen with Leonardo on the bench.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is that they don’t have a lot of promise going forward outside Pato. They really need to get their act in gear and go after some young talent and stop relying on mostly Italians. Go out and spend some money, bring in young talent. They were targeting Lulinha but haven’t snatched him up yet. All these other clubs are snatching up the young talent in hordes, Benzema, Aguero, Vela, etc.