European Soccer Thread

I figured I’d go ahead and open this thread with the EPL going into action today. What a start too, Chelsea almost ending in a tie at home to Hull City, that would of been some embarrassment. Drogba rescued them again.

Everton vs. Arsenal about to start on FSC in 15 minutes!

PS: ESPN owns the rights to La Liga this season so look for some awesome weekend morning/afternoon matches in gorgeous HD! The Real Madrid vs. Barca match-ups are gonna be quite something this season.

Bout time someone put a thread up like this. Watch out for Galatasaray in the Europa League. I have been in Turkey for the past month, went to a soccer game, and really wished we could incorporate some of the chants that were done. I stopped paying attention to the game and just admired the atmosphere.

[IMG]http://pencacainegara.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/barca-cup.jpg[/IMG]

Lol an American Barcelona fan, that’s priceless.

How about Everton getting absolutely TRASHED in their home opener. I was watching that and could not believe how disastrous their defense was. Losing 6-1 on opening day AT HOME is just incredibly horrible, there’s barely words to explain it. I can’t even imagine how those fans are feeling right now.

As for Europa League, ozmosis, Steaua baby, we got it this year!

[QUOTE=SteauA;424733]Lol an American Barcelona fan, that’s priceless.

How about Everton getting absolutely TRASHED in their home opener. I was watching that and could not believe how disastrous their defense was. Losing 6-1 on opening day AT HOME is just incredibly horrible, there’s barely words to explain it. I can’t even imagine how those fans are feeling right now.

As for Europa League, ozmosis, Steaua baby, we got it this year![/QUOTE]

What’s funny about that? How is it any funnier than an American Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea fan?

We don’t all have the luxury of having been born somewhere that people actually care about soccer.

What's funny about that? How is it any funnier than an American Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea fan?

We don’t all have the luxury of having been born somewhere that people actually care about soccer.

It’s funny because folks on here talk crap about people that support a team that has nothing to do with them. It’s like being a supporter of the Yankee’s or the BoSox when you have been living in New Mexico.

Steaua, I am a Besiktas fan myself, but to be completely honest Galatasaray have splashed some cash on some mad transfers, like Elano (Man City) and Keita (Lyon). I also have to say I don’t know much about Steaua, just that I remember you always give Turkish teams a hard time. Off the top of my head, you guys used to be really good in European competition. Arsenal is great team and Wenger is a fantastic manager. I don’t know anyone that develops talent like he does, except maybe Sporting CP, Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo both came out of that club.

[QUOTE=ozmosis49er;424736]It’s funny because folks on here talk crap about people that support a team that has nothing to do with them. It’s like being a supporter of the Yankee’s or the BoSox when you have been living in New Mexico.

Steaua, I am a Besiktas fan myself, but to be completely honest Galatasaray have splashed some cash on some mad transfers, like Elano (Man City) and Keita (Lyon). I also have to say I don’t know much about Steaua, just that I remember you always give Turkish teams a hard time. Off the top of my head, you guys used to be really good in European competition. Arsenal is great team and Wenger is a fantastic manager. I don’t know anyone that develops talent like he does, except maybe Sporting CP, Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo both came out of that club.[/QUOTE]

It’s not like we really have much of a choice here…

Hello. I enjoy soccer. Who am I allowed to root for?

Let’s go Hotspurs.

Tintin

I have an FC Barcelona jersey from when I was in Barcelona, guess I’m just a generic soccer fan. Does my Totti, Italian jersey say the same thing about me? I hope not, I may be devastated.

It's not like we really have much of a choice here...

Got the MLS, don’t you :)?

Honestly, I don’t care. Anybody on this side of the pond that have any remote idea or interest in the sport impresses me anyway.

I have an FC Barcelona jersey from when I was in Barcelona, guess I'm just a generic soccer fan. Does my Totti, Italian jersey say the same thing about me? I hope not, I may be devastated.

As long as you don’t have a Spanish or Greek Nat’l Jersey, you are in the clear.

What's funny about that? How is it any funnier than an American Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea fan?

It’s just a little bandwagonish you know? Why not pick a side who is solid but doesn’t have the best players in the world? It’s almost like if when I moved over to the USA from Romania I would of immediately started rooting for the Patriots, the Lakers, the Red Wings and Carolina just because they were the best at the time.

I’m just happy that you’re an American who enjoys footy though, keep at it brother!

Random noob question:

Anyone know what the difference between Portsmouth and Pompey is?

Random noob question:

Anyone know what the difference between Portsmouth and Pompey is?

Pretty sure Pompey is their nickname. I could be wrong though.

[QUOTE=ozmosis49er;424690]Bout time someone put a thread up like this. Watch out for Galatasaray in the Europa League. I have been in Turkey for the past month, went to a soccer game, and really wished we could incorporate some of the chants that were done. I stopped paying attention to the game and just admired the atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

lol. Dated a Turk back in college. Huge Fenerbahçe fan, she thinks Galatasaray is the debil.

debil.

haha, sounds Turkish enough.

[QUOTE=ozmosis49er;424802]haha, sounds Turkish enough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would watch some matches with her and root for the other team just to make it interesting. She went along with it. Her dad, not so much.

[QUOTE=SteauA;424790]It’s just a little bandwagonish you know? Why not pick a side who is solid but doesn’t have the best players in the world? It’s almost like if when I moved over to the USA from Romania I would of immediately started rooting for the Patriots, the Lakers, the Red Wings and Carolina just because they were the best at the time.

I’m just happy that you’re an American who enjoys footy though, keep at it brother![/QUOTE]

I always liked the city and what the club stood for. As a kid I was a big Man U fan, but over time I grew tired of the corporate nature of the game in general… if it wasn’t for the UNICEF deal I probably would have given up on it altogether.

I always liked the city and what the club stood for. As a kid I was a big Man U fan, but over time I grew tired of the corporate nature of the game in general... if it wasn't for the UNICEF deal I probably would have given up on it altogether.

All professional sports are corporate in nature. Strictly business. Also, Barca is one of the richest clubs on the planet, it doubt they didn’t sacrifice much to put UNICEF on the front. In fact, it probably boosted shirt sales.

I’d watch a lot more EPL and SPL but it’s hard to get into because it isn’t talked about enough over here and I don’t know where to find the games or when they are on half the time. I never even used to know when the season starts. But now that I know it is just starting, maybe I can try to follow it better this year.

We need to find a pub to watch games at.

My teams:
SPL - Celtic

EPL - Man City, Liverpool (kinda), few others that I like but I’m not big on