Everett to the Trustees - Set sights high

[QUOTE=metro;288301]I think you can replay the show, Iā€™m gonna see.[/QUOTE]

I can only find podcasts of MSP, Mac Attack and Primetime with Packmanā€¦

Iā€™m still not sold on ā€œsetting our sights highā€ in the short term (i.e. 2012-2021). Most of us seem to think we do not have a chance to get in the Big East when it splits again in 5-8 years and 4 football schools are added to give them 12. That being said, the only other reason we should have to move up quickly to DI is for bowl revenue. As a fan, I could care less about that and playing in the Liberty Bowl, at best (saying that we get into CUSA, and that we become good enough in the first 8 years to make a Bowl game). Chapel Hill Phil and the other gears behind football seem to think this is the ONLY option, but I think they are WRONG for thinking that way. I would be perfectly happy playing I-AA until either a) the D1 playoff finally comes about or b ) we have a realistic possibility to get into a (now/future) BCS conference. Until then, being D1 is rather pointless, on the field and from a cost standpoint. We canā€™t get the big money of the big bowl games, yet we would be spending money at a D1 level to try to chase that ghost. I may be in the minority, but planning to play I-AA for the first 8-10 years makes more sense than trying to jump up to a level where we are definitely going to be second-class citizens.

I'm still not sold on "setting our sights high" in the short term (i.e. 2012-2021). Most of us seem to think we do not have a chance to get in the Big East when it splits again in 5-8 years and 4 football schools are added to give them 12. That being said, the only other reason we should have to move up quickly to DI is for bowl revenue. As a fan, I could care less about that and playing in the Liberty Bowl, at best (saying that we get into CUSA, and that we become good enough in the first 8 years to make a Bowl game). Chapel Hill Phil and the other gears behind football seem to think this is the ONLY option, but I think they are WRONG for thinking that way. I would be perfectly happy playing I-AA until either a) the D1 playoff finally comes about or b ) we have a realistic possibility to get into a (now/future) BCS conference. Until then, being D1 is rather pointless, on the field and from a cost standpoint. We can't get the big money of the big bowl games, yet we would be spending money at a D1 level to try to chase that ghost. I may be in the minority, but palnning to play I-AA for the first 8-10 years makes more sense than trying to jump up to a level where we are definitely going to be second-class citizens.

I think you are selling the Niners short. NOBODY would of thought USF would pull off what they did. Let me tell you, Iā€™ve been to USFā€™s athetic facilities in the 90ā€™s and the whole campus was brutal. We are way ahead of USF compared to when they began to study football.

I think we have a real shot at the Big East if its timed properly. 12 team football conferences with a title game (ie ACC and SEC) are the future. That leaves 4 spots in the Big East. UConn was the same thing, nobody thought they could get football going to the extent they made it happen. We have a killer TV market (why they took USF). This eliminates the ECUs, Marshals, etc.

And again, if I were to cherry pick one person in Charlotte to get our football team off the ground, its Mac Everett. I can tell you X that nobody is looking at long term 1AA. Not Mac, not Phil, not Judy, or trustees. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d take 1AA over what we have now, but 1AA will just be our training wheels.

I would be perfectly happy playing I-AA until ... we have a realistic possibility to get into a (now/future) BCS conference.
I think we have a real shot at the Big East if its timed properly. ... Don't get me wrong, I'd take 1AA over what we have now, but 1AA will just be our training wheels.

I pretty much agree with both of you. As of this very moment, the Big East is in no hurry to increase their football membership to 12 ā€¦but itā€™s not always easy to see what the future holds. Either way, the best thing to do in the process is to put ourselves in the position for the jump to 1A football. That way, if something should ever happen - or it looks like something is about to happen - weā€™re ready.

Either way, the best thing to do in the process is to put ourselves in the position for the jump to 1A football. That way, if something should ever happen - or it looks like something is about to happen - we're ready.

I we were talking about this in 1998 instead of 2008, we would be in the BCS right now.

I want ā€œwhatever level of footballā€ that the business community of Charlotte will support.

Ticket sales are secondary behind sufficient sponsor dollars.

FWIW, Iā€™m tired of thinking about the possibilities and what it could/might be.

Will SOMEONE (Mr. Chancellor ??, Mr. Everett??..) please start providing some substance.

I realize the team will not likely step on a field anywhere before 2012, but Iā€™m sick and tired of the definite possibility of a firm maybe as far as the future of Charlotte 49ers football.

I want "whatever level of football" that the business community of Charlotte will support.

FWIW, Iā€™m tired of thinking about the possibilities and what it could/might be.

Will SOMEONE (Mr. Chancellor ??, Mr. Everett??..) please start providing some substance.

I realize the team will not likely step on a field anywhere before 2012, but Iā€™m sick and tired of the definite possibility of a firm maybe as far as the future of Charlotte 49ers football.

Everett was on the radio for 30 minutes today discussing it.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;288341]I want ā€œwhatever level of footballā€ that the business community of Charlotte will support.

I realize the team will not likely step on a field anywhere before 2012, but Iā€™m sick and tired of the definite possibility of a firm maybe as far as the future of Charlotte 49ers football.[/QUOTE]

ETA: Things that really piss me off on some recent stories in the Clt. Business Journalā€¦ Somewhere on here we debated Max Muhlemanā€™s feedback about a ā€œlukewarmā€ response from the Charlotte Business community towards 49ers footballā€¦yet, several weeks later, the same Max Muhleman in back in that same paper talking the positive feedback he sees in response to the Knights building a AAA baseball stadium uptown.

I sincerely hope the area businesses are not that narrow minded to only look for the new venue.

[QUOTE=spartyniner;288297]No, you missed a whole conversation about it in the shout box while it was going on.[/QUOTE]

Regretably, some of us canā€™t stay on here 24x7.

maybe I need to find a better job that allows more message board time. :smile:

ETA: Things that really piss me off on some recent stories in the Clt. Business Journal.. Somewhere on here we debated Max Muhleman's feedback about a "lukewarm" response from the Charlotte Business community towards 49ers football......yet, several weeks later, the same Max Muhleman in back in that same paper talking the positive feedback he sees in response to the Knights building a AAA baseball stadium uptown.

I sincerely hope the area businesses are not that narrow minded to only look for the new venue.

good point.

Personally, I think if we go for football, we must have an AD that can go play a round at Quail Hollow with key business decision makers, and buy everyone a round of drinks and cigars after the round. Call me cheuvanist, but thats what its gonna take. Even with our key alum, an AD who can do this is critical. This is not a Judy rant, but reality in Charlotte business.

[QUOTE=metro;288351]good point.

Personally, I think if we go for football, we must have an AD that can go play a round at Quail Hollow with key business decision makers, and buy everyone a round of drinks and cigars after the round. Call me cheuvanist, but thats what its gonna take. Even with our key alum, an AD who can do this is critical. This is not a Judy rant, but reality in Charlotte business.[/QUOTE]

Chauvanist or not, itā€™s the truth. I learned when I interned at Duke Power in college that golf is a neccessity to scale any corporate ladder or open wallets. At the very least in the southeastā€¦

good point.

Personally, I think if we go for football, we must have an AD that can go play a round at Quail Hollow with key business decision makers, and buy everyone a round of drinks and cigars after the round. Call me cheuvanist, but thats what its gonna take. Even with our key alum, an AD who can do this is critical. This is not a Judy rant, but reality in Charlotte business.

You know somebody with Quail Hollow connections? :wink:

Lets stop the FCS talk right now. No one takes it seriously except App. St. and no one in Charlotte will give a d*** about it including students. We have to go FBS as soon as allowed (4 years). Do you think Mac Everett is a fool? He and everybody know that FBS is THE ONLY WAY. So lets just drop it because its a lot like saying we should drop everything to DII, and I hope we have no one here that [I]ignant[/I].

Mac and Chuck pretty much just covered a lot of the stuff he said in the Observer piece. Well known facts and figures and he diffinately is behind it being a FBS program quickly. He said ā€œcertain things canā€™t be measured in financial terms alone, football is a strategic move for the university, its for the futureā€(paraphrasing some).

What I found intreguing is Chuck said everyone ā€œhereā€ is behind it and that he hadnā€™t heard anyone say anything negative about it (guess he skips the O Editorial Page?). Said it was 3rd most talked about topic at the Charlotte Fight Night the night before. Lots of important folks (folks we need on our side) were there last night!

I wonder what he means by ā€œeveryone hereā€? Does he mean himself, his show crew, or ALL of WFNZ, including PACKER? Interesting considering Packer hasnā€™t always been enthusiastic about us.

Had to go indoors after the interview ended, were there any callersā€™ comments afterwards worth mentioning?

Hereā€™s something else I found. The pictures below are of a billboard between Grays and Toppers, right across the street from the campus. Sorry about the picture quality but the bright lights washed them out. It has UNC[B]P[/B]'s [B]football team[/B] and mascot on it running across the field. It says ā€œToday A Mascotā€ ā€œTomorrow a Buisness Managerā€. Went to take a better picture this morning and its GONE!:ohmy:

[QUOTE=metro;288313]I think you are selling the Niners short. NOBODY would of thought USF would pull off what they did. Let me tell you, Iā€™ve been to USFā€™s athetic facilities in the 90ā€™s and the whole campus was brutal. We are way ahead of USF compared to when they began to study football.

I think we have a real shot at the Big East if its timed properly. 12 team football conferences with a title game (ie ACC and SEC) are the future. That leaves 4 spots in the Big East. UConn was the same thing, nobody thought they could get football going to the extent they made it happen. [B]We have a killer TV market (why they took USF)[/B]. This eliminates the ECUs, Marshals, etc.

And again, if I were to cherry pick one person in Charlotte to get our football team off the ground, its Mac Everett. I can tell you X that nobody is looking at long term 1AA. Not Mac, not Phil, not Judy, or trustees. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d take 1AA over what we have now, but 1AA will just be our training wheels.[/QUOTE]

If, and only if, we have a realistic chance to get into the Big East, then I agree with moving up. Playing in the CUSA/Mountain West tier of DI football is not appealing to me as a fan or a Niner football supporter. What are you playing for in those conferences? A conference title and a trip to meaningless bowl game (thatā€™s really true for all of D1 football, but if youā€™re in a BCS conference you at least get to try to get into the fictional National Title game).

The difference between our situation and South Floridaā€™s 10 years ago is this: South Florida was in position when the first shakeup happened and there were more slots available (3 ACC, 5 Big East) (these are the number of slots at that time subtracted from 12). Now only 4 slots remain to get into a current BCS conference. If the shakeup happens [B]before[/B] we even have the opportunity to get to D1 (2015), we will be screwed and for who knows how long. There is a lot of talk about a D1 playoff, but there was talk 10 years ago, too. Some people like going to meaningless bowl games and will drop $1000-$2000 to go (saying itā€™s at one of the current CUSA bowl sites). If Iā€™m going to pay that kind of money to see a football game, I would like it to be more than a glorified scrimmage (i.e. PLAYOFF GAME - I-A or I-AA).

Iā€™ve posted this before, but here are the schools we will likely be competing with to get one of those last four slots in the Big East assuming we are ready or the move happens after 2015. Hereā€™s my current percieved pecking order:

[COLOR=Navy][B]Notre Dame[/B] [/COLOR]- In the Big East for every other sport. Big Ten is a better fit should they ever join a conference, but the Big East is drooling over the possibility.

[COLOR=Navy][B]Villanova[/B][/COLOR] - If they move up, a spot is theirs. Itā€™s a big if considering the size of the private school.

[B][COLOR=Gray]Georgetown[/COLOR][/B] - Same as Villanova, but their football program is in rough shape right now.

[COLOR=DarkRed][B]UMass[/B][/COLOR] - Great media market, rival UConn already in Big East (could also be hindrance, though)

[COLOR=Gold][B]Central Florida[/COLOR][/B] - Up and coming program, and the Big East would love to have another Florida presence. If any of the above falter, they will be in.

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Charlotte[/B][/COLOR] - For all the reasons mentioned. Media Market is appealing.

[COLOR=Red][B]Dayton[/B][/COLOR] - Football program would have to come a long way, but they are a good fit and decent media market.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B]East Carolina[/B][/COLOR] - Football program is worthy, but other sports sans baseball are not. Media market and location are also major concerns.

[COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Marshall[/B][/COLOR] - Same concerns as ECU, and West Virginia will not want them in although they would be a good fit geographically and give West Virginia another conference rival.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]Richmond[/B][/COLOR] - Football program has had decent success at I-AA level and they are a good market to have. Doubtful they could afford to have D1 with small private school funding for athletics.

[COLOR=DarkRed][B]Fordham[/B][/COLOR] - Donā€™t know if they have the funding or desire to be D1 in football, but if they do they could move to 4th in the pecking order because of their media market. Program has not had much success at the I-AA level.

[COLOR=Cyan][B]Rhode Island[/B][/COLOR] - Football program has never been terribly strong, and have not been to I-AA playoffs since 1985 (only 3 winning seasons since that time). Doubt they would/could support D1 football, but they do fit geographically.

[COLOR=Navy][B]Delaware[/B][/COLOR] - A definite longshot, but they fit well geographically and have had consistant I-AA success.

If you think Iā€™ve left out somebody, let me know.

[QUOTE=metro;288351]good point.

Personally, I think if we go for football, we must have an AD that can go play a round at Quail Hollow with key business decision makers, and buy everyone a round of drinks and cigars after the round. Call me cheuvanist, but thats what its gonna take. Even with our key alum, an AD who can do this is critical. This is not a Judy rant, but reality in Charlotte business.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s called relationship building with your customer -> Itā€™s a skill you MUST have to be successful in business. A round of golf just happens to one venue to do this. Sitting in a suite with your customer at a Panthers game is another, or Bobcats game, etc. Itā€™s about getting face time to build relationships with customers, both on a personal and professional level. A round of golf is but one avenue, albeit a popular one.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288369]Hereā€™s something else I found. The pictures below are of a billboard between Grays and Toppers, right across the street from the campus. Sorry about the picture quality but the bright lights washed them out. It has UNC[B]P[/B]'s [B]football team[/B] and mascot on it running across the field. It says ā€œToday A Mascotā€ ā€œTomorrow a Buisness Managerā€. Went to take a better picture this morning and its GONE!:ohmy:[/QUOTE]

Gone? Gees that was the second one they had there in 3 monthā€™s time. Whatā€™s up now?

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288369]Lets stop the FCS talk right now. No one takes it seriously except App. St. and no one in Charlotte will give a d*** about it including students. We have to go FBS as soon as allowed (4 years). Do you think Mac Everett is a fool? He and everybody know that FBS is THE ONLY WAY. So lets just drop it because its a lot like saying we should drop everything to DII, and I hope we have no one here that [I]ignant[/I].[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t know what [B]ignant[/B] is, but itā€™s called reality, not ignorance. About 10,000 App students and even more App alumni would disagree with your assessment, and more Charlotte ones would also if we made it that far in I-AA. I donā€™t want to be in a CUSA-level or Mountain West-level conference in D1 football. Itā€™s meaningless, itā€™s boring, and you are never going to play for the percieved D1 title so long as the BCS controls the show. So why not remain I-AA until you do have realistic chance to compete for the D1 title? Whether it means that we have a real shot at the Big East or the D1 playoff comes to fruition, just prior to that time is when we should consider moving up. Moving up to play for nothing seems ignant to me.

[QUOTE=X-49er;288374]If, and only if, we have a realistic chance to get into the Big East, then I agree with moving up. Playing in the CUSA/Mountain West tier of DI football is not appealing to me as a fan or a Niner football supporter. What are you playing for in those conferences? A conference title and a trip to meaningless bowl game (thatā€™s really true for all of D1 football, but if youā€™re in a BCS conference you at least get to try to get into the fictional National Title game).

The difference between our situation and South Floridaā€™s 10 years ago is this: South Florida was in position when the first shakeup happened and there were more slots available (3 ACC, 5 Big East) (these are the number of slots at that time subtracted from 12). Now only 4 slots remain to get into a current BCS conference. If the shakeup happens [B]before[/B] we even have the opportunity to get to D1 (2015), we will be screwed and for who knows how long. There is a lot of talk about a D1 playoff, but there was talk 10 years ago, too. Some people like going to meaningless bowl games and will drop $1000-$2000 to go (saying itā€™s at one of the current CUSA bowl sites). If Iā€™m going to pay that kind of money to see a football game, I would like it to be more than a glorified scrimmage (i.e. PLAYOFF GAME - I-A or I-AA).

Iā€™ve posted this before, but here are the schools we will likely be competing with to get one of those last four slots in the Big East assuming we are ready or the move happens after 2015. Hereā€™s my current percieved pecking order:

[COLOR=Navy][B]Notre Dame[/B] [/COLOR]- In the Big East for every other sport. Big Ten is a better fit should they ever join a conference, but the Big East is drooling over the possibility.
[COLOR=Navy][B]Villanova[/B][/COLOR] - If they move up, a spot is theirs. Itā€™s a big if considering the size of the private school.
[B][COLOR=Gray]Georgetown[/COLOR][/B] - Same as Villanova, but their football program is in rough shape right now.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B]UMass[/B][/COLOR] - Great media market, rival UConn already in Big East (could also be hindrance, though)
[COLOR=Gold][B]Central Florida[/COLOR][/B] - Up and coming program, and the Big East would love to have another Florida presence. If any of the above falter, they will be in.
[COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Charlotte[/B][/COLOR] - For all the reasons mentioned. Media Market is appealing.
[COLOR=Red][B]Dayton[/B][/COLOR] - Football program would have to come a long way, but they are a good fit and decent media market.
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B]East Carolina[/B][/COLOR] - Football program is worthy, but other sports sans baseball are not. Media market and location are also major concerns.
[COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Marshall[/B][/COLOR] - Same concerns as ECU, and West Virginia will not want them in although they would be a good fit geographically and give West Virginia another conference rival.
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Richmond[/COLOR] - Football program has had decent success at I-AA level and they are a good market to have. Doubtful they could afford to have D1 with small private school funding for athletics.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B]Fordham[/B][/COLOR] - Donā€™t know if they have the funding or desire to be D1 in football, but if they do they could move to 4th in the pecking order because of their media market. Program has not had much success at the I-AA level.
[COLOR=Cyan][B]Rhode Island[/B][/COLOR] - Football program has never been terribly strong, and have not been to I-AA playoffs since 1985 (only 3 winning seasons since that time). Doubt they would/could support D1 football, but they do fit geographically.
[COLOR=Navy][B]Delaware[/B][/COLOR] - A definite longshot, but they fit well geographically and have had consistant I-AA success.

If you think Iā€™ve left out somebody, let me know.[/QUOTE]

I would rather go to the New Orleans Bowl then play in the FCS Championship Game, WE WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY. WE WOULD BE ON NATIONAL TV.

WE WILL HAVE NO CORPORATE SPONSORS IF WE PLAY DI-AA.
WE WILL PLAY IN MEMORIAL STADIUM FOREVER AT DI-AA.
WE WILL HAVE NO LUXURY BOXES TO SALE FOR BIG MONEY IF WE PLAY DI-AA.
NO ONE WILL SEE US PLAY ON TV AT DI-AA.
DI-AA IMPROVES US LIKE ADDING WRESTLING WOULD.
DI-A IMPROVES US LIKE A MEDICAL SCHOOL WOULD.
PLAYING IN THE SUN BELT IS BETTER THEN THE BEST DI-AA CONFERENCE (WEā€™D HAVE A TV CONTRACT PACKAGE).
10,000 PEOPLE WOULD SHOW UP TO SEE US PLAY DI-AA ON A GOOD DAY.
30,000 PEOPLE WOULD SHOW UP TO SEE US PLAY DI-A ON AN AVERAGE DAY.

[QUOTE=X-49er;288382]I donā€™t know what [B]ignant[/B] is, but itā€™s called reality, not ignorance. About 10,000 App students and even more App alumni would disagree with your assessment, and more Charlotte ones would also if we made it that far in I-AA. I donā€™t want to be in a CUSA-level or Mountain West-level conference in D1 football. Itā€™s meaningless, itā€™s boring, and you are never going to play for the percieved D1 title so long as the BCS controls the show. So why not remain I-AA until you do have realistic chance to compete for the D1 title? Whether it means that we have a real shot at the Big East or the D1 playoff comes to fruition, just prior to that time is when we should consider moving up. Moving up to play for nothing seems ignant to me.[/QUOTE]

You have to be at the CUSA/Mountain West level before you can get to the Big East level in the first place, its called paying dues. App St.'s donā€™t happen every half century you know. Go to anyone on campus and ask them to name 5 football colleges. You might get App St but you will not get anyone else from FCS. Then tell them Wofford, Gardner-Webb, Davidson. Theyā€™ll say ā€œthey have football?, I didnā€™t know that!ā€, and they wonā€™t know we have football either, if we stay FCS.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]I would rather go to the New Orleans Bowl then play in the FCS Championship Game, WE WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY. WE WOULD BE ON NATIONAL TV. [/QUOTE]

Did you watch the New Orleans Bowl this year? Do you even know who played in it (or any other CUSA bowl game) without looking it up? My answer is no to both questions. I did watch the I-AA title game and have for the last 10 years or so, and I watched several more I-AA playoff games than bowl games over that same time period.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]WE WILL HAVE NO CORPORATE SPONSORS IF WE PLAY DI-AA.[/QUOTE]

Why? Is there a rule against having corporate sponsors in I-AA?

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]WE WILL PLAY IN MEMORIAL STADIUM FOREVER AT DI-AA.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Coastal and Elon have constructed nice stadiums on campus, and we could construct a nice expandable one with all the land we have.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]WE WILL HAVE NO LUXURY BOXES TO SALE FOR BIG MONEY IF WE PLAY DI-AA.[/QUOTE]

Will we need them to fund I-AA football? I should hope not. We can add them when we move up, later.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]NO ONE WILL SEE US PLAY ON TV AT DI-AA.[/QUOTE]

If you mean ESPN or the big 3 networks you are correct. 6 of Appā€™s regular season games were on TV this season (SportsSouth, ESPNU, or MASN).

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]DI-AA IMPROVES US LIKE ADDING WRESTLING WOULD.[/QUOTE]

Wrestling would not be attended and would not bring in financial donations. I-AA football would.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]DI-A IMPROVES US LIKE A MEDICAL SCHOOL WOULD.[/QUOTE]

Only if you win, and have something to play for. Nobody gives a d@mn about the Sun Belt conference.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]PLAYING IN THE SUN BELT IS BETTER THEN THE BEST DI-AA CONFERENCE (WEā€™D HAVE A TV CONTRACT PACKAGE).[/QUOTE]

We could have TV for I-AA, and who in the hell wants to play in the Sun Belt. That would suck.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]10,000 PEOPLE WOULD SHOW UP TO SEE US PLAY DI-AA ON A GOOD DAY.[/QUOTE]

More if you are successful.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;288383]30,000 PEOPLE WOULD SHOW UP TO SEE US PLAY DI-A ON AN AVERAGE DAY.[/QUOTE]

UAB thought the same thing a few years ago. They had 21,000+ for their home opener and 12,621 for the final home game against Central Florida. Central and South Florida are the exceptions, not the rule.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow]You have to be at the CUSA/Mountain West level before you can get to the Big East level in the first place, its called paying dues.[/QUOTE]

Playing I-AA for many years did not seem to bother UConn. I know they were already a non-football member of the Big East, but they did not have to be I-A before they NEEDED to be. If we foresee the shakeup coming, as we should, we can then move up to D1 as quick as we to. We have to play I-AA for three years anyway, why not stay there until we have a valid reason to move up. We wonā€™t be as strapped financially, and it will help us get a strong fanbase competing for a real championship. Playing in the Sun Belt would suck, or did I already say that?