Excerpts From Tim Donaghy's Book

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Reading that just makes everything we already knew verifiable.

And people scream NASCAR is staged/ fixed.

It is not a coincidence that this book will never see the light of day on any book shelf.

Someone will publish it.

The NFL is the same way with its obsession towards offense.

Someone needs to get that memo to the Panthers.

[QUOTE]The 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings presents a stunning example of game and series manipulation at its ugliest. As the teams prepared for Game 6 at the Staples Center, Sacramento had a 3–2 lead in the series. The referees assigned to work Game 6 were Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney, and Ted Bernhardt. As soon as the referees for the game were chosen, the rest of us knew immediately that there would be a Game 7. A prolonged series was good for the league, good for the networks, and good for the game. Oh, and one more thing: it was great for the big-market, star-studded Los Angeles Lakers.

In the pregame meeting prior to Game 6, the league office sent down word that certain calls-calls that would have benefitted the Lakers — were being missed by the referees. This was the type of not-so-subtle information that I and other referees were left to interpret. After receiving the dispatch, Bavetta openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7.

“If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that’s down in the series, nobody’s going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7,” Bavetta stated.

As history shows, Sacramento lost Game 6 in a wild come-from-behind thriller that saw the Lakers repeatedly sent to the foul line by the referees. For other NBA referees watching the game on television, it was a shameful performance by Bavetta’s crew, one of the most poorly officiated games of all time.[/QUOTE]

When Donaghy was in the process of being convicted, much this story was told. To listen to David Stern dismiss it like it was all made up was more sickening than that it actually occurred. Stern brushed over all of this like it never happened. At least have the decency to say the Kings got ****ed out of ring.

from ESPN.com:

[QUOTE]Somehow, the NBA got wind of the project and let Random House know in a threatening-type correspondence that they would object to the publication of such a book and they threatened that they would sue if they did go ahead and do that," said Berdan, who didn’t see any letters from the NBA. “Random House considered that and … just pulled the plug on it.”[/QUOTE]

Of course the NBA denies that, but why would a publisher pull the plug on a book that is sure to make a mint? They had the balls to print the Canseco book, which everyone dismissed as made up, then almost all of it turned out to be true. Hopefully a publisher will have the balls to print the book so Stern can get raked over the coals.

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4603209][B][U][COLOR=Red]ESPN.com: Donaghy book canceled over liability[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=X-49er;439622]When Donaghy was in the process of being convicted, much this story was told. To listen to David Stern dismiss it like it was all made up was more sickening than that it actually occurred. Stern brushed over all of this like it never happened. At least have the decency to say the Kings got ****ed out of ring.[/QUOTE]and crap like this is a classic example of what is wrong with the nba.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;439626]and crap like this is a classic example of what is wrong with the nba.[/QUOTE]

It’s why I don’t watch the game. The star treatment, the non-enforcement of the rules, and the seemingly manipulation of playoff series to get the stars/big-market teams to the finals. I quoted the excerpt above from the Lakers-Kings series in 2002, but one almost as bad was the Mavericks getting screwed the same way in 2006. I actually watched most of that series to see one of my high school’s alums play, and the no calls and create-a-fouls against the Mavs were unbelievable. The star treatment and the ignoring of the rules is common knowledge since the 80’s, but light has been shed over the last couple of years over the manipulation of the playoff series. Fans of the NBA dismiss it as hearsay and slander, but they must like the product a lot to watch more than 5 minutes of any game or to dismiss Donaghy completely.

[QUOTE=X-49er;439629]It’s why I don’t watch the game. The star treatment, the non-enforcement of the rules, and the seemingly manipulation of playoff series to get the stars/big-market teams to the finals. I quoted the excerpt above from the Lakers-Kings series in 2002, but one almost as bad was the Mavericks getting screwed the same way in 2006. I actually watched most of that series to see one of my high school’s alums play, and the no calls and create-a-fouls against the Mavs were unbelievable. The star treatment and the ignoring of the rules is common knowledge since the 80’s, but light has been shed over the last couple of years over the manipulation of the playoff series. Fans of the NBA dismiss it as hearsay and slander, but they must like the product a lot to watch more than 5 minutes of any game or to dismiss Donaghy completely.[/QUOTE]i still think jordan received the most preferencial treatment of all.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;439631]i still think jordan received the most preferencial treatment of all.[/QUOTE]

Sure he did after he became a star. The Jordan I liked watching was the amazing athlete in the mid-80’s before he started getting the star treatment. Once he did, I couldn’t watch anymore. I mean, he didn’t need the help. The shove of Bryon Russell was simply the cherry on top.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;439631]i still think jordan received the most preferencial treatment of all.[/QUOTE]

clt agrees. the way the refs treated jordan has made the nba unwatchable, even this many years out.

I agree completely with the comments about Jordan and the refs. You will still see people wearing the #23 Jordan jersey and I cringe a little each time I see one. Here’s something a little more uplifting. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/1023546.html

This is a problem in all sports, college and pro, as a result of all the money depending on big ratings.

We see it in the SEC, we have seen it in the NBA, we see star treatment in the NFL, etc.

Jordan- All time clutch jumper to beat the Jazz in the Finals
Any other player in the NBA- Clearly an offensive foul, no basket

We knew that game was fixed. It was obvious.

The Portland-LA series (can’t remember the year) is another to look at.

So do we put an asterisk next to the Lakers’ championships now?

[QUOTE=9erken;439874]We knew that game was fixed. It was obvious.

The Portland-LA series (can’t remember the year) is another to look at.

So do we put an asterisk next to the Lakers’ championships now?[/QUOTE]

If they are proved to be rigged by the refs, then absolutlely. This different from a team deciding to take it on themselves to lose, a la the Black Sox. The asterik will never happen though, because the NBA dismisses it all as nonsense.

[QUOTE=s9er;439858]Jordan- All time clutch jumper to beat the Jazz in the Finals
Any other player in the NBA- Clearly an offensive foul, no basket[/QUOTE]

clt believes kobe has already passed jordan. how many championships did jordan win without pippen?

clt also believes that lebron will blow by kobe, and will be the best ever.

[QUOTE=cltniners;439981]clt believes kobe has already passed jordan. how many championships did jordan win without pippen?

clt also believes that lebron will blow by kobe, and will be the best ever.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it’s not like Kobe has Gasol, Odom, etc…

[QUOTE=eason49;439984]Yeah, it’s not like Kobe has Gasol, Odom, etc…[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. Every one of Kobe’s championships has been on LOADED teams.