Fan goes to hospital, 17 ejected in minor league brawl

HOLY ****!

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=3504480[/URL]

can you imagine taking your kids to a minor league game and seeing this kind of a brawl? i question the decision by the league to overturn the ref’s ejections. if the ref makes a call on the field, they should stand by it until they can better analyze the situation.

can you imagine taking your kids to a minor league game and seeing this kind of a brawl? i question the decision by the league to overturn the ref's ejections. if the ref makes a call on the field, they should stand by it until they can better analyze the situation.

I went to a minor league game when I was younger where three bench clearing brawls (all just as bad as that one) broke out. I still remember it, but it didn’t have any long term affects. They ended up canceling the game.

What was it felonious assault? For hitting the fan (I assume by accident) or for trying to hit the batters?

What was it felonious assault? For hitting the fan (I assume by accident) or for trying to hit the batters?

He got a running start and threw the baseball as hard as he could. At that point, the ball is a weapon and no different than throwing rocks at people. If that ball hits somebody in the head with out any head protection it could kill them.

[QUOTE=eason49;331065]What was it felonious assault? For hitting the fan (I assume by accident) or for trying to hit the batters?[/QUOTE]

If you send someone to the hospital while in a fit of rage, you will get busted for felony assult most likely. I find it funny that he hit the fan while trying to throw the ball at the dugout… He was the pitcher!!

I went to a minor league game when I was younger where three bench clearing brawls (all just as bad as that one) broke out. I still remember it, but it didn't have any long term affects. They ended up canceling the game.

yeah, but i bet the pitcher didn’t bean some dude in the first row with a fastball to the throat.

He got a running start and threw the baseball as hard as he could. At that point, the ball is a weapon and no different than throwing rocks at people. If that ball hits somebody in the head with out any head protection it could kill them.

No matter what happened… the pitcher is a dumbass.

Pitcher with one baseball vs. batter with one bat. Who wins?

No brainer. Pitcher needs to leave the fighting at just fists.

No matter what happened... the pitcher is a dumbass.

Pitcher with one baseball vs. batter with one bat. Who wins?

No brainer. Pitcher needs to leave the fighting at just fists.

I don’t know what you’re talking about…

I was in a wiffle ball fight before and I had the wiffle ball… and I was the winner.

I find it funny that he hit the fan while trying to throw the ball at the dugout... He was the pitcher!!
Well.......... Now we know why he's in the minors and not the majors. :shades:

as someone who has been in the middle of a couple of these (injury free)… I can tell you Dominicans are psycho in this stuff. I don’t know why but they flip in these situations.

Hell Jose Offerman was a MLB All Star multiple times, and went nuts last summer on a Independent League pitcher with a bat in his hand.

whats crazy is the first inning…? I would love to watch the game prior to see what started it all.

Personally, I think no criminal charges should be filed for on field altercations. If it goes to the stands, then prosecute.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;331074]If you send someone to the hospital while in a fit of rage, you will get busted for felony assult most likely. I find it funny that he hit the fan while trying to throw the ball at the dugout… He was the pitcher!![/QUOTE]
If Zach Rosenbaum ever got involved in a brawl, I guarantee this would happen.

As Metro said, it was probably a carry-over issue from the game before. The two coaches/managers that were on the field started it back up though. When they got into their yelling and shoving match in the middle of everything, it just led to what followed. If I was a pitcher at the pro level, I would take the time to learn some martial arts. Dave Stewart was a black belt, and I never saw anybody charge the mound when he was pitching. If a batter comes at you after being beaned or he perceived you were throwing at him, he’s not coming out there to have a discussion about it. As for the injured fan, the pitcher should be prosecuted. What if that was someone’s kid that got hit by the ball? Not that the guy that was hit in the throat was any more deserving, but he had a better chance of defending himself than a kid would. It’s one thing to get injured by a bat or ball when it comes in the playing of the game, but not when a brawl breaks out.

I had this picture on my wall most of my college years.

I had this picture on my wall most of my college years.

true story about this pic:
my soph year I played summer ball in Kansas. My roommate that summer was Reid Ryan, Nolan’s son. We lived in the basement of a mansion in Topeka. So all summer I watched Nolan pitch on TV while sitting there with his son criticizing every pitch :lol:. I even got to talk to Nolan on the phone a couple times and drive his Chevy Z71 to Taco Bell. The night I flew home to Charlotte at the end of summer, I walked into my parents house and this brawl took place with Nolan hammering Robin Ventura. I was dying to talk to Reid about it that night, hell I’d just told him good bye a few hours prior. I’ll never forget that day.

true story about this pic: my soph year I played summer ball in Kansas. My roommate that summer was Reid Ryan, Nolan's son. We lived in the basement of a mansion in Topeka. So all summer I watched Nolan pitch on TV while sitting there with his son criticizing every pitch :lol:. I even got to talk to Nolan on the phone a couple times and drive his Chevy Z71 to Taco Bell. The night I flew home to Charlotte at the end of summer, I walked into my parents house and [U]this brawl[/U] took place with Nolan hammering Robin Ventura. I was dying to talk to Reid about it that night, hell I'd just told him good bye a few hours prior. I'll never forget that day.

It’s funny how somebody being pummeled like that can bring back such fond memories.

I agree that on the field altercations shouldn’t have legal ramifications… but he hit a fan. While he obviously sucks considering he missed the dugout, I imagine most minor league pitchers throw a pretty fast ball. I bet a lawyer could even argue that was assault with a deadly weapon.

I know I’ve read that professional fighters can be charged with that if they get into fights.