Fantasy Football

We’re having our annual draft on August 28th and drawing for draft order on July 18th. Really excited this year but it’s going to be a very interesting first and second round.

For all you guys playing this year, who would you take if you had the first pick in your draft. If you had the 2nd pick and Priest Holmes was gone, who would you take? Tough decision but I’m not so sure I wouldn’t go with Tomlinson if I get the first pick. Our league has always put a huge emphasis on RB’s because of our scoring system and 12 RB’s went in the first 16 picks last year so I expect the trend to continue. Personally, if I get a top 5 pick, I’m going with the best RB available. If I’m in the 6-10 range, I’m not so sure I won’t jump on the best QB available and get my #1 RB in the second round, followed by another RB in the 3rd round unless Harrsion, Moss or Owens are available which I doubt they will be by then.

Aside from Niner basketball, fantasy football is my favorite sports-related time of the year. Can’t wait to get under way and try to bring home the big bucks this year.

First pick has to be Holmes. If you have the second I’d go with Tomlinson. If you want to roll the dice I love Portis. He’s on a new team but he’s a double threat.

Runningbacks always go quick in our league as well. Last year I had the last pick in the first round. I took Jamal Lewis and then came back with Eddie George for the next pick going back up. In retrospect I should have taken Manning. Drafting that low I wasn’t going to get another quality back, at least not that I knew of at the time.

THe middle of the pack is the best place to be IMO.

I’d agree with MK that Holmes should go first. But if I’m #1 and I can’t trade down, I’m taking Tomlinson. Priest dropped all the way down to #6 in my work league last year, and the guy who picked him ended up winning the league in large part due to that. So maybe I’d be making the same mistake, but I think Priest’s health concerns and age have to catch up with him eventually.

I like drafting middle to late. I drafted 11th in a twelve man league last year and selected Moss and Green as my top two picks. Worked out pretty well for me as you can imagine.

I like drafting mid-round as well. We’re in a 10 man league so it’s nice to have those middle of the pack picks. And in this year’s draft, I’d rather let the four guys ahead of me make my decision for me. I picked 5th in the first round last year and took Portis. Got Edgerrin Jame with the 15th overall pick. Unfortunately, my high hopes for James never paid off until too late into the season. In the previous years, I have been loaded at RB but I’ve struggled because of my QB. I waited like 4 rounds to get my QB last year and wound up with Bledsoe, Maddox and Harrington. None of the three did squat and it killed me.

My strategy this year is to go RB if I get a top 5 pick (Holmes, Tomlinson Alexander, Portis, Williams). I’m in the 6-10 slot, then I’m taking the best QB on the board which will be Vick, Manning or Culpepper. Then I can grab my starting RB’s in the 2nd/3rd rounds. With a 10 man league and 18 rounds, you’re still going to end up with some decent RB’s. The guy that won our league last year had Holmes and Jamal Lewis, not to mention Marvin Harrison. His QB’s were just above-average (Favre/Brooks).

Essentially, it still comes down to luck and how your players perform compared to how your opponent’s players perform on the day you go head-to-head. I’ve started pro-bowl lineups and gotten beat on Sunday by reserves that were started because of bye weeks. Hit or miss more Sundays than not but there are those handful of guys who are usually going to perform well throughout the whole season.

Never go QB in the first round JCL. You can get a good QB in the second and even third rounds. RB’s are your bread and butter. :ponder:

[i]Originally posted by NovaNiner[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 10:45 AM [b] So maybe I’d be making the same mistake, but I think Priest’s health concerns and age have to catch up with him eventually. [/b]
That's part of the reason I'm giving a slight lean to Tomlinson. But with that said, I felt the exact same way about Holmes going into last year. I swore up and down that his hip wouldn't hold out for more than 4 games. Wound up fattening the wallet of the guy that took him. Everyone always wants that first pick but I really don't think I want it this year. I want the 5th pick so I can get a very good RB and a top 6 QB in the 2nd round.
[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 12:44 PM [b] Never go QB in the first round JCL. You can get a good QB in the second and even third rounds. RB's are your bread and butter. :ponder: [/b]
That's the exact mentality I've always had MK but it has backfired on me EVERY SINGLE year. I always end up with a stable of thoroughbred RB's and a QB that doesn't pan out. People never want to take QB's early but if you look at scoring, QB's are going to provide the most consistency each Sunday. Had Holmes two years ago and had Portis/James/Garner last year. Got my clock cleaned. Though, two years ago was a fluke because along with Holmes I had Kurt Warner who choked BIG time.
[b]RB's are your bread and butter. [/b]

That all depends on your scoring system. It’s something most people don’t study very much before a draft, but something that they should. The scoring system can change your draft board significantly if it’s different for each of the leagues you are in. Three of the leagues I’m in have begun to reward a point for receptions to even out the gap between the receivers and running backs. It makes for a much more interesting league, and everyone doesn’t try to hoard backup RB’s in hopes that the starters go down. Good running backs still usually get taken before a WR of equivalent talent, but they are also much more injury prone. Ask the owners of Portis last year how they fared in the regular season, and then the playoffs. :ticked:

Jcl, I see the married/family life hasn’t killed your fun-time…YET. Get it in while you can. I’m down to 49er basketball, a few rounds of golf and an occassional fishing trip. :pout:

Go with the RB’s and TD scoring receivers. Hold on the QB’s. If there’s a TE who can score, grab him with the receivers. Of course, you’ve got to pick-em based on your points system. I used to score a ton with Indy’s kicker.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 12:44 PM [b] Never go QB in the first round JCL. You can get a good QB in the second and even third rounds. RB's are your bread and butter. :ponder: [/b]
MK tends to favor taking D/ST in the 1st round.

Here’s another fly in the ointment:

IF Phillip Rivers starts for the Chargers this year, I don’t care how good he looks in camp or the preseason, it is going to take some time for him to adjust to the “National Football League.” Teams will load up the front to stop Tomlinson and making Rivers beat them through the air. I would expect LT’s numbers to dip a bit this season.

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 06:30 PM [b] MK tends to favor taking D/ST in the 1st round. [/b]
1) That was a LOOOOOONG time ago 2) I finished second that year even by doing that. :P
[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 01:35 PM [b] Here's another fly in the ointment:

IF Phillip Rivers starts for the Chargers this year, I don’t care how good he looks in camp or the preseason, it is going to take some time for him to adjust to the “National Football League.” Teams will load up the front to stop Tomlinson and making Rivers beat them through the air. I would expect LT’s numbers to dip a bit this season. [/b]

That’s usually a common belief going into seasons when you have a premier running back, with the rest of the team being suspect. However, I do feel that there are a handful of running backs that are going to get their stats regardless of how the defense gameplans. They can stack the line all they want but I still think the Chargers offense will run through LT and he’ll produce. His numbers may dip a bit but even if they do, that still makes him a top 6 RB or so in my opinion.

Yeah, it all depends on your scoring system. I was in a league one year that gave you 1 point for every 10 passing yards, 1 point for every 10 rushing yards, and 6 points for a touchdown. In a league like this it is obviously better to go with a qb early because it is common to for a qb to get 250 yards passing but rare for a rb to rush for much more than 100. In ‘normal’ leagues however, I would go with a rb in the first round no matter what pick I had. Priest would be #1 for sure. That guy is a TD machine… I don’t see inuries catching up with him this year. Portis will also be very good this year I think.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 01:29 PM [b] Jcl, I see the married/family life hasn't killed your fun-time.....YET. Get it in while you can. I'm down to 49er basketball, a few rounds of golf and an occassional fishing trip. :pout:

[/b]

You guys allow it to become that way my friend. I shall remain happily married while still enjoying plenty of fun-time. Of course, I’ve only been married less than 11 months so I still think I’m right about everything and enjoy plenty of fun-time. And, I’m not sure how much longer I can avoid the crossing that next bridge and once I do, I’m sure I will see my independent social life cease to exist. :unsure:

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jul 8 2004, 02:36 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jul 8 2004, 02:36 PM)

Stay strong Smoothie, stay strong. I’m leaving for the weekend today to go on a weekend camping/tubing trip with all the guys while my wife stays back with the dogs. Lefty is no longer allowed to do stuff like this so follow my lead and “Independent Smoothie” will live on. :slight_smile:

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 06:53 AM [b] Stay strong Smoothie, stay strong. I'm leaving for the weekend today to go on a weekend camping/tubing trip with all the guys while my wife stays back with the dogs. Lefty is no longer allowed to do stuff like this so follow my lead and "Independent Smoothie" will live on. :) [/b]
I've got a 2 day mountain golf trip lined up for next weekend, thank you. :P Smoothie may have to give up one of his 6 TVs.

Penner and McClain (starting monday 12-3) will be big into fantasy and handicapping. This morning Gary said those guys watch games, love games. I took it as a little jab at Packer. Also said Penner has already dicovered the fox and hound at Ballantyne.

I’m really hoping Penner brings back some of the bits he/Czabe used to do like the “High/Low 5 of the week” , their NFL/College football predictions, etc. Loved that stuff, especially when Sandy would always give himself a “high 5” for getting a game right or something. :lol:

anybody here wanna join my fantasy football league in yahoo. i have been scrambling to try and find a few more players. its sure to be a lot of fun with deep rosters and lots of strategy involved.