Faulty Gas Pumps

Has anyone ever heard of pumps at a gas station becoming inaccurate and saying they pumped more into your tank than they actually did?

After Lutz Live I went by the Petro Express (now a Texaco) at the corner of Tryon & and Mallard Creek Church to get something and figured I’d pump my gas too. I was at 146miles on my tank and the dial was dead in the middle (13.2 gallon tank) and ended up needing 7.8 gallons. That is 18mpg!! I’ve never gotten that before since I’ve owned this car. Not even close. Lowest I can remember is MAYBE 21 and that was when I was engaging the VTEC way too much. The last time I remember feeling this way was also one of the last times I was at the Petro Express.

Admittedly, I am slightly more upset because the lady I talked to was one these people who can’t speak English yet lives in America and she got all testy with me yet it would have no effect on her whether the pumps were faulty or not. I wasn’t even acting upset, I was only asking simple questions about gas pumps. I just think that place’s pumps might be bogus. Could explain why they charge way less than the 76 and the Shell just down the road.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this or felt this way after going to that Petro Express?

[URL=http://www.channel3000.com/automotive/13635200/detail.html]yes[/URL]

i have an email at work that talks about this… I’ll post it in the A.M.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07341/839884-113.stm

There is a number on the gas pump that you can call and report the pump. They’ll send someone out to test the pump. If they determine that the pump is faulty in anyway, then the gas station will get hit with a $10,000+ fine…

Call em dude!

Gas station clerks have absolutely nothing to do with the pumps. They never, ever touch them. It’s like you asking your English professor why the basketball team is 13-6.

Edit: They’re probably making like $7/hr working from 3-11. Give them a break. That has to be the worst work time ever.

Gas station clerks have absolutely nothing to do with the pumps. They never, ever touch them. It's like you asking your English professor why the basketball team is 13-6.

Edit: They’re probably making like $7/hr working from 3-11. Give them a break. That has to be the worst work time ever.

Or they can just say, “Oh, I don’t know anything about the gas pumps” and not give me a bunch of crap. Nice try.

Or they can just say, "Oh, I don't know anything about the gas pumps" and not give me a bunch of crap. Nice try.
Nice try at what? Are you insinuating I'm part of some giant gas station conspiracy? :lol:

Clerks don’t know anything about the gas pumps. I worked at one during the summer once. If you want it solved, the clerk isn’t going to do (nor is able to do) anything. Ask for the manager or district manager’s phone number.

Nice try at what?
Nice try at being abrasive.
Nice try at being abrasive.
Calm down there, chief. I was just informing you that the clerks don't have anything to do with the pumps. The gas and the inside store are basically two separate entities.

The clerks only responsibilities are keeping the inside of the store looking nice, stocking the drinks, and working the cash register.

Calm down there, chief. I was just informing you that the clerks don't have anything to do with the pumps. The gas and the inside store are basically two separate entities.

The clerks only responsibilities are keeping the inside of the store looking nice, stocking the drinks, and working the cash register.

Oh, I was totally calm. Don’t try and backtrack and say you weren’t trying to be abrasive. You are abrasive quite often. No need to run from it. It’s your thing that you do. Embrace yourself.

Back on topic, I’ll be calling that number on the pump.

Oh, I was totally calm. Don't try and backtrack and say you weren't trying to be abrasive. You are abrasive quite often. No need to run from it. It's your thing that you do. Embrace yourself.

Back on topic, I’ll be calling that number on the pump.

If I wanted to be abrasive, I’d have done one or more of the following:[list type=decimal]
[]Asked why are you complaining to some chick because the gas cost you ~$5 total more than it was worth.
[
]Pointed out how many other gas stations are available in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area.
[]I would’ve asked how many languages you were fluent in, since you bashed their only being partially bilingual.
[
]Questioned whether you were being racist by attacking their language barrier. (Just to be abrasive, not that I think you’re racist or anything.)[/LIST]I didn’t do any of that. I just informed you that she wouldn’t have been able to do anything. I assumed you weren’t an expert in the business intricacies/operations of convenient stores, and decided to let you know that if you wanted to rectify the situation, you’d need to go to the district manager, or probably even higher.

Lighten up. Be happy! To brighten your day, here is a funny animal picture:

Also what you originally said counted.

You crack me up. Still, a nice try.

So how bout them, faulty gas pumps?

hey man how olds the car? I have a 2000 and the fuel sensor is just a tad off. When i fill up it goes above the F and will remain that way for 30-45 miles. After i get under a half tank it seems like it drops quicker than it did at full… it may be something of that nature where you actually spent more gas than you thought?

I have no idea - im just throwin that out there for future ref

hey man how olds the car? I have a 2000 and the fuel sensor is just a tad off. When i fill up it goes above the F and will remain that way for 30-45 miles. After i get under a half tank it seems like it drops quicker than it did at full.... it may be something of that nature where you actually spent more gas than you thought?

I have no idea - im just throwin that out there for future ref

Nah, UNCCTF proposed this idea to me and I don’t think that’s it. The fuel gauge really isn’t the compelling evidence here.

The truly compelling evidence is that I filled the tank all the way up last time because I always do that. I needed 7.8 gallon to fill back up so that is def how much I used. I had only 146 miles on my resettable odometer so I def got 18.6 miles to the gallon. I have been doing these calculations in my head since I got the car and have never ever gone below 22 or 21mpg. A 2-3mpg difference is just way to much considering how I’ve been driving the car. I know I had been driving it a little hard lately but not that hard. And I haven’t seen any signs of a gas leak but I’ll check that out before I call the number.

(My car is a 2002 RSX-S and the fuel gauge does that crazy stuff too. I think it’s funny when I leave my house and as I drive I magically get more gas in my tank.)

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=2]TIPS ON PUMPING GAS–GOOD INFO

I don’t know what you guys are paying for gasoline…Here in California
we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work
is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more
of your money’s worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we
deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day
is diesel, the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium
grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000
gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the
ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense
the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the
afternoon or in the evening, your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum
business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline,
diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays a n impo rtant
role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.
But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you’re filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
fast mode. I f you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages:
low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed,
thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses
at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some
of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being
sucked up and back into the underground stora ge tank so you’re getting
less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF
FULL or HALF EMPTY (whichever way you look at it). The reason for this
is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty
space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks
have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance
between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike
service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature
compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage
tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up–most likely the gasoline
is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up
some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;290523]hey man how olds the car? I have a 2000 and the fuel sensor is just a tad off. When i fill up it goes above the F and will remain that way for 30-45 miles. [B]After i get under a half tank it seems like it drops quicker than it did at full[/B]… it may be something of that nature where you actually spent more gas than you thought?

[/QUOTE]

I think every car I’ve ever owned does/did that. They are designed that way.

[QUOTE=49or bust;290445]After Lutz Live I went by the Petro Express (now a Texaco) at the corner of Tryon & and Mallard Creek Church to get something and figured I’d pump my gas too. I was at 146miles on my tank and the dial was dead in the middle (13.2 gallon tank) and ended up needing 7.8 gallons. That is 18mpg!! I’ve never gotten that before since I’ve owned this car.[/QUOTE]

It’s because you TRIED to rev your engine at me on your way to LL… :hammer:

:shades:

It's because you TRIED to rev your engine at me on your way to LL.... :hammer:

:shades:

Shoot. Like I said, my 200 horses 'll take you any day!:shades:

Seriously, we should go auto crossing. Then we’ll see who’s using the sunglasses emoticon!

[URL]http://www.localtechwire.com/news/local/story/109939/[/URL]

[B][SIZE=3]NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3]Standards Division / Measurement Section
[/SIZE][/B]

The Measurement Section inspects weighing and measuring devices for accuracy (scales, scanners, motor fuel dispensers, fuel oil meters, and many other devices) and performs inspections of packaged goods to ensure that they contain the stated net contents.

[CENTER][EMAIL=Jerry.Butler@ncmail.net]Jerry Butler[/EMAIL], Measurement Section   Manager

Jerry.Butler@ncmail.net

Phone: 919-733-3313
      Fax: 919-715-0524 [/CENTER]