Favorite Books?

We already have a thread for movies, tv shows, and albums… might as well have one for books too. :smiley: Here some I have read recently… what are some of your favorites?

Fiction:
The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide - Douglas Adams (I liked the first two books, but got bored and stopped on the third one.)
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown
Deception Point - Dan Brown
Ender’s Game - Orson Scott Card

Non Fiction:
The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
Visions - Michio Kaku
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan (Reading this one now… very good)

Read but didn’t like:
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
Exploring Consciousness - Rita Carter

On the “to read” list:
Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene
Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku
Phantoms in the Brain - V. S. Ramachandran
Prey - Michael Crichton

Fiction:
Ishmael, Brave New World, The Sun Also Rises, Great Gastby, Perfume, Hitchhicker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Amber Series, Edding’s Sparhawk series, Heart of Darkness

Non-Fiction: The Art of War, Jefferson, The Federalist Papers

Gotta read Romance of the THree Kingdoms, Atlas Shrugged, Stand on Zanzibar

I’m sure that you all will just love all of these chick lit books…

Fiction:

• The Pact
  • Something Borrowed
  • Bergdorf Blondes
  • Can You Keep A Secret
  • Shopaholic Series (Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic & Sister)
  • Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas
  • Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn (HATED!!)
  • I Do (But I Don’t)
  • Wedding Season
  • Lovely Bones
  • Jemima J
  • … Can’t remember any more off the top of my head…

Next up:

• Trading Up
  • Something Blue

Favorite Fiction:
The Bible
The Firm
Pelican Brief

Non-Fiction
Season on the Brink

Self Help
Clifford the Big Red Dog

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

me gusta The Outsiders B)

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jun 21 2005, 08:42 PM [b] me gusta The Outsiders B) [/b]
The Outsiders is a good one as is The Great Gatsby, almost anything by:

Stuart Woods

John Sanford

or

John Feinstein.

I rarely read anything other than Biography/documentary type books.

On that note…Cobb (A Biography of Ty Cobb) the book by Al Stump that the movie was based on is great for any baseball historian buffs.

Other than that…Calvin & Hobbes RULES!!!

FICTION
Anything by Pat Conroy, anything by John Grisham, The Great Gatsby, The Green Mile

NON-FICTION
The 9/11 Commission, Confederates in the Attic, We Were Soldiers Once… and Young, All the President’s Men

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jun 21 2005, 11:08 PM [b] Anything by Pat Conroy [/b]
the Lords of Discipline

I’m more of a novel reader

My must have authors:

Vince Flynn, Nelson Demille, David Baldacci, Ken Follett, and Greg Iles.

My 2nd tier:
Grisham, John Jakes, James Patterson and Tim Green.

I’ll als read historical stuff (Ambrose etc).

Tintin

Actual Air by david berman
A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
White Noise by don delillio
How to Build your Home in the Woods by Bradford Angier
I like Harry Potter.

my wife likes
Empire of the Senseless by Kathy Acker
The Passion by Jeannette Winterson
Snow Crash by neal stephenson
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel garcia marquez

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Jun 21 2005, 04:34 PM [b] The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara [/b]
I see someone has had Dr. Hogues Civil War Class.

Awesome Book.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1+Jun 27 2005, 05:20 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erFan1 @ Jun 27 2005, 05:20 PM)

The Bible, Sports Illustrated, TV cartoons.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Jun 28 2005, 09:10 AM [b] The Bible, Sports Illustrated, TV cartoons. [/b]
dont strain yourself

Just finished Steven King’s The Dark Tower series. That one started great, but really started to tank at the end. I’m convinced that 7 books in a piece of fiction is too many.

Same goes for Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

As for the Douglas Adams ones, I haven’t read them since college, but I think I started tanking somewhere in the 5th book.

my favs have to be The Bible and “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom…it’ll really make you re-evaluate your life. Heck, both of them will

[i]Originally posted by YankeeNiner[/i]@Jul 2 2005, 11:56 PM [b] my favs have to be The Bible and "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom...it'll really make you re-evaluate your life. Heck, both of them will [/b]
well, the mitch albom one at least

Just finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Pretty much blew me away with how fast they went from discovering radioactivity to an atomic bomb and how much belief the government had in this group of scientists.

What I found just as fascinating was some of the political beliefs of some of the scientists. There were some that believed their creation would end war as they knew it. And perhaps it did.

There was one scientist who drove himself to exhaustion because he believed that the bomb had to be built and USED before the war was over so that the world would understand the power, and hold back usage in future conflicts. He worried that if not used, many countries would not truly understand the destructiveness, would stockpile them and then use them in a conflagration that would have disastrous impacts in a later war.

Really heady stuff.

1 Like