Favre calls it quits

[QUOTE=Normmm;301796]It’s so impossible to put complete logic into rankings like this but it’s still fun to do. Favre did break Marino’s TD record, but he also played longer. If the shoe was reversed then I believe Marino would have also played a couple of more seasons to break Favre’s record.

While he broke Marino’s TD record, I believe he also had more interceptions, less total yards and a lower QB rating.[/QUOTE]

And Marino only had super star receivers early in his career. Marino also never had a competent running game and many years had a faulty at best O-Line. Marino in a situation like Brady would be sick.

Can’t tell but it almost looks like he regrets letting football consume so much of his life.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;302273]

Can’t tell but it almost looks like he regrets letting football consume so much of his life.[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry that your job that pays you millions and millions of dollars and gives you millions of people who look up to you took over your life. Get over it and get off my TV. Lots of people let work consume them and regret missing out…and can’t retire at 38 and make up for lost time!!! Christ man enjoy your life since you don’t have to work EVER again. Oh and lay of the Vicodin

[QUOTE=Normmm;301796]It’s so impossible to put complete logic into rankings like this but it’s still fun to do. Favre did break Marino’s TD record, but he also played longer. If the shoe was reversed then I believe Marino would have also played a couple of more seasons to break Favre’s record.

While he broke Marino’s TD record, I believe he also had more interceptions, less total yards and a lower QB rating.[/QUOTE]

Favre had 442 TD and 288 INT’s, 61655 passing yards and an 85.7 passer rating
Marino had 420 TD’s 252 INT’s, 61631 passing yards and an 86.4 passer rating

Favre played in 15 more games- (they both played 17 seasons), and completed a higher percentage of hs passes. The numbers are close, the difference is a Superbowl Ring and 3 MVP’s.

And serously, Troy Aikman doesn’t need to be in the discussion. Jim Kelly? Never came up big in his playoff career.

Favre had 442 TD and 288 INT's, 61655 passing yards and an 85.7 passer rating Marino had 420 TD's 252 INT's, 61631 passing yards and an 86.4 passer rating

Favre played in 15 more games- (they both played 17 seasons), and completed a higher percentage of hs passes. The numbers are close, the difference is a Superbowl Ring and 3 MVP’s.

And serously, Troy Aikman doesn’t need to be in the discussion. Jim Kelly? Never came up big in his playoff career.

Maybe. The 3 MVPs are subjective to me. It can be more of a popularity contest than the actual best player. People wanted to give it to him again this year, even with the year Brady had. He also won Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year for 2007 over Brady. The difference to me also could be the 36 extra interceptions. I agree about the Superbowl, but at the same time does that also put Dilfer ahead of Marino?

After the fact, I agree I should bump Aikman down on my list. But I was just trying to pick 10 guys I’ve watched and I’m not sure who else I would put ahead of Aikman and Kelly.

[QUOTE=Normmm;302284]Maybe. The 3 MVPs are subjective to me. It can be more of a popularity contest than the actual best player. People wanted to give it to him again this year, even with the year Brady had. He also won Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year for 2007 over Brady. The difference to me also could be the 36 extra interceptions. I agree about the Superbowl, but at the same time does that also put Dilfer ahead of Marino?

After the fact, I agree I should bump Aikman down on my list. But I was just trying to pick 10 guys I’ve watched and I’m not sure who else I would put ahead of Aikman and Kelly.[/QUOTE]

The 36 picks don’t bother me as much because he did throw 22 more td’s, they are almost neck and neck statistically.

The Kelly/Aikman dig was for whom ever have them on a list of 10 but didn’t include Favre.

Watching the press conference, I almost expected him to say “That’s my teammate, that’s not fair!”

[QUOTE=s9er;302286]The 36 picks don’t bother me as much because he did throw 22 more td’s, they are almost neck and neck statistically.

The Kelly/Aikman dig was for whom ever have them on a list of 10 but didn’t include Favre.[/QUOTE]

Jim Kelly led Buffalo to FOUR straight Super Bowls. He lo

[QUOTE=s9er;302286]The 36 picks don’t bother me as much because he did throw 22 more td’s, they are almost neck and neck statistically.

The Kelly/Aikman dig was for whom ever have them on a list of 10 but didn’t include Favre.[/QUOTE]

Jim Kelly led Buffalo to FOUR straight Super Bowls. He lost the first two in close games and then lost the next two to Troy Aikman and the cowboys. Aikman won 3 superbowls. Irvin and Smith are not as good without him.

And Farve had a consistently better O-Line and a running game. Marino really didn’t have much to win with during the peak of his career. Early on he had a pretty solid wide out corps, but by the time he should have been winning super bowls, he didn’t have the guys to work with.

No solid running game.

The defense did improve toward the end of his career, but by the time Johnson showed up, Marino was fighting his head coach as much as the other teams.

If Marino had had a line as good as Farve’s, especially during the Super Bowl runs, he would have easily won a ring or two. The guy is probably the best pure passer to ever play the game. He certainly had the quickest release. But he also got slaughtered. He had to have a quick release to survive the constant pass rush. Farve is certainly tough, but he has not had the abuse that Marino did during his career. I think by the end he was mostly held together by pads and tape.

Farve could still come back and play another year, Marino was not even close to being in a position to keep playing.

I am a dolphin fan and a Marino fan, so I am biased, but the fact that the guy never won a ring shouldn’t tarnish his legacy. They shouldn’t have even been making the playoffs for most of his career and instead they were consistently one of the best teams in the NFL. He just didn’t have a great team.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;302291]Jim Kelly led Buffalo to FOUR straight Super Bowls. He lost the first two in close games and then lost the next two to Troy Aikman and the cowboys. Aikman won 3 superbowls. Irvin and Smith are not as good without him.[/QUOTE]

Kelly LOST 4 Superbowls, that doesn’t make him a better qb, his stats weren’t near as good… Aikman isn’t in the same ballpark when you talk stats, the 3 SB’s rightfully degfine his career. But having the NFL rushing leader, a HOF WR and one of the best all time O Lines helped his cause.

And PB, one of Marino’s strong points was he rarely got sacked, he had great O lines the forst 3/4 of his career, just never had a RB with spit. They should have been winning SB’s in the late 80’s, he had killer WR’s at that stage. I like Marino and wish he had won, they just never gave him a running back that could get it done- they passed on Emmit SMith. Oh what could have been.

This arguments is about stats and winning, Favre has a better mix than all but a select few.

Favre had 442 TD and 288 INT's, 61655 passing yards and an 85.7 passer rating Marino had 420 TD's 252 INT's, 61631 passing yards and an 86.4 passer rating

great press conference. Every man at the Y tonight stopped what they were doing and walked over to the TV to see it replayed, it was kinda wierd. He is so damn likable. He has gone from a young jerk hooked on painkillers and booz, to a humble family guy beat down by his Dad’s death, and wife’s cancer.

I am so sorry that your job that pays you millions and millions of dollars and gives you millions of people who look up to you took over your life. Get over it and get off my TV. Lots of people let work consume them and regret missing out...and can't retire at 38 and make up for lost time!!! Christ man enjoy your life since you don't have to work EVER again. Oh and lay of the Vicodin
LOL..agreed.

I hate to see a man cry though. Is retiring really that emotional? I won’t know for bout 35 more years… hopefully sooner. I know team sport are different, but when I retire, I’m pretty sure the tears in my eyes are going to tears of joy.

Someone just needs to dump the millions of dollars he has made from football over his head. I bet that would bring a smile.

I am so sorry that your job that pays you millions and millions of dollars and gives you millions of people who look up to you took over your life. Get over it and get off my TV. Lots of people let work consume them and regret missing out...and can't retire at 38 and make up for lost time!!! Christ man enjoy your life since you don't have to work EVER again. Oh and lay of the Vicodin

wtf

he’s probably the most loved athlete of our time, and rightfully so.

he did not ask you to feel sorry for him, when I watched it, I got the feeling he had guilt at all the money he made for playing a child’s game

in the age of “bling” how can you not respect a plain guy who shows up in normal guy attire, normal guy emotions, and normal guy talk…no notes, no agent.

Is retiring really that emotional?

retiring from a 9-5 is a little different… than say walking away from your childhood fulfilled dreams.

16 yrs at QB for the Packers??? He still thinks of himself as a kid from LA that “made it.” He had no idea he’d go down in history as one of the best QBs of all time. I’m sure his pops was in his head too.

I know when I got released from the Pirates, when I walked in the house after a 9 hr drive back to Charlotte, I saw my dad and lost it. And it wasn’t potential earnings in my head.

Metro, you are the real deal. Couldn’t agree with you more about Favre
and your Dad.

He’s from Mississippi, but I agree… Shagg, if this were TO or Starbury, I’d agree with you, but athletes like this do deserve their proper send off.