Field of 64: Niners Baseball

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;236610]So who’s going to Cali?[/QUOTE]
Hmmmmmmmmm… San Diego is a great area and a fun place to be.

[SIZE=2]Kind of unrelated, but I didn’t want to start a whole thread for this:[/SIZE]
Yesterday versus Furman, we hit a line drive that bounced off the pitcher’s legs and hit our runner. He was ruled out. Hibbs and the crowd went crazy and said the rule was if the Pitcher hits it, it’s not considered out. What is the correct ruling? (We still hit a double after that, knocking in 2 runs, but that was with 2 outs when it would’ve been one, and the bases would’ve been loaded instead of just 2 on.)

[QUOTE=eason49;236632][SIZE=2]Kind of unrelated, but I didn’t want to start a whole thread for this:[/SIZE]
Yesterday versus Furman, we hit a line drive that bounced off the pitcher’s legs and hit our runner. He was ruled out. Hibbs and the crowd went crazy and said the rule was if the Pitcher hits it, it’s not considered out. What is the correct ruling? (We still hit a double after that, knocking in 2 runs, but that was with 2 outs when it would’ve been one, and the bases would’ve been loaded instead of just 2 on.)[/QUOTE]
We originally thought the ruling was wrong up at the scorers table, but Ryan pulled up the rulebook online, and the rule states that if the ball strikes a defensive player and then hits a runner, he can still be ruled out if the umpire thinks another defensive player has a reasonable shot to make a play.

It’s a tough call, but since the ball was headed toward the second baseman when McElroy got hit, that was the right call.

[QUOTE=X-49er;236612]That would be worse than having to play in Chapel Hill. Three west coast teams and us. They all ride a bus and we have a 6 hour flight. We would be the only ones with jet lag. I guess it beats not qualifying, though. :unsure: :thumbsup: :huh:[/QUOTE]

when did a flight to SD become 6 hours? its not quite 5

[QUOTE=metro;236640]when did a flight to SD become 6 hours? its not quite 5[/QUOTE]
San Francisco is about 5.5 going out and 4 coming back, but I think SD is closer. Oh well, let’s make it a moot point and get assigned somewhere in this time zone.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;236642]San Francisco is about 5.5 going out and 4 coming back, but I think SD is closer. Oh well, let’s make it a moot point and get assigned somewhere in this time zone.[/QUOTE]
FWIW, San Diego is about 10 minutes closer in each direction… and San Francisco is sometimes more than 4 hours going west to east. It all depends on the tailwinds.