Fire Ron Sanchez

Someone who had lost interest in recruiting and whoā€™s coaching had slipped? You have lowered your standards.

Lutz is THE STANDARD HERE

1 Like

Iā€™m down for that. I just wish, since weā€™re all tired of the roller coaster, that we could enjoy a train for awhile that takes us where we want to go and we can just sit back, sip a few drinks, and enjoy the ride.

If we were more sure this train was taking us where we want to go I think more folks would be on board with that. That isnā€™t what we have seen though. Iā€™m all for enjoying the ride but at some point you look up and realize the train has crappy amenities and itā€™s not taking you where you want to go. The question is how long do we ride before we get antsy and want off. This was the year most of us want off this train. I expect next year to look like a derailment given loss of talent and Ronā€™s stupid system that apparently is the basketball version of rocket science.

This will be Ronā€™s third rebuild since he got here and we have nothing to show for it except loss of talent, a bunch of crappy wins and very few wins of any note.

Year 1 start over with JD
Year 2 moderate success, then Covid and suck
Year 4 restart #2 with copy candidate JY then lost that talent
Year 5 moderate success, the loss of more talent
Year 6 restart #3 with less talent

See a pattern?

Enjoy what ride? Ron isnt tsking us anywhere but to mediocrity. We have been patient and given him time. He isnt the guy.

2 Likes

Wrong thread

Try telling people from NJ & NY that Florida isnā€™t a destination place.

My bad. I thought thatā€™s been the complaint, that we wanted a higher standard.

Bobby had not been able to get it done. I was ok with moving on from him after 5 years and thatā€™s with his track record of success. Same standard I hold Ron to who has no track record of success except in pay to play exhibition tournaments.

1 Like

Exactly. Iā€™m a fan of Niner basketball and not a fan of Ron Sanchez.

The thought of riding this train is accepting that we are just never going to be who we once were. Itā€™s like we are treating this program like itā€™s SUNY Oneonta. Letā€™s be happy just to be here and have a team. Kumbaya

Screw that.

Mike has us right where Chapel Hill wants us.

1 Like

train trainwreck GIF

Apparently Ron had a nice tone deaf interview on some mountain radio station this morning.

1 Like

Said it beforeā€¦his complete lack of self-awareness is stupifying.

If Ron would spend less time here as Ted, he would have more self awareness

I have no problem moving on from Ron. My only point has ever been that a 3 - 4 year time frame, based on circumstances beyond anyoneā€™s control, are arbitrary at best.

It used to be if a coach ran the program right and was able to build success over time, then maintain it, you had something. With the portal the way it is now, no matter who is coaching, it will always be a crap shoot.

I think Ron runs the program the right way, I watched this yearā€™s team bust their butts and compete almost every game. They just havenā€™t won as much or as fast enough as we as fans would like. If weā€™re stuck losing our best players every year, then how do we fix it?

We absolutely need to build off defense, even Biff will tell you that. So maybe the truth is, running an offense based on making more talented opponents do something outside of their comfort zone, like playing defense themselves, will even the playing field when we keep losing our best players. Maybe itā€™s bringing better players in through the portal so we can play faster. The Hornets play an uptempo style and you see where they are ( they are winning more now that theyā€™ve started playing defense).

Will that be with Ron running it, thatā€™s Mikeā€™s call and I have faith that heā€™ll make the right decision, whatever that might be, even though some of you may not like it.

2 Likes

Ronā€™s best finish in CUSA in 5 years is 4th place and that was 4 years ago. And 0 CUSA tourney wins. Kinda hard to make the ncaa tourney with those results.

2018- 13th
2019- 4th
2020- 11th
2021- 8th
2022- 5th

But yeah, letā€™s give a coach with those results a 6th year to try and make the NCAA Tournament. Mike Hill is either a genius or an idiot.

When the team plays as hard as it canā€¦and itā€™s still not good enoughā€¦thatā€™s an even worse sign that your brother/husband canā€™t coach.

And to your question aboveā€¦You fix it by finding a coach that can keep his playersā€¦or find a coach that knows how to win despite that.

If you havenā€™t noticedā€¦EVERY school is dealing with the same unfair portal system too. It canā€™t be used as an excuse if EVERY school is facing the same thing!! There are plenty of non-P5 coaches winning in this unfair portal system. Ours still canā€™t win a conference tourney game in 5 years but Dusty May & Brian Dutcher have taken San Diego State and FAU to the to Final Fourā€¦DEALING WITH THE SAME ISSUES!!

Stop giving excuses and saying itā€™s impossible or canā€™t be doneā€¦itā€™s happening all over the place and plenty of coaches are still succeedingā€¦just not ours!!

You know what itā€™s called when others can succeed and he canā€™t despite everyone facing the same issues?? Heā€™s just bad at his job.

1 Like

If I ever feel like life is going to good for me, I come to this site and click on this thread.

1 Like

Iā€™m still in on Mike. I like whatā€™s heā€™s done nearly everywhere else. Basketball is just a dumpster. He got it wrong with Ron and doubling down on him is worse.

Next year we arenā€™t going to be good barring a miracle. And if we schedule another ridiculous ooc to prop him up going into AAC play you are going to see heads explode. So that means I guess Ron gets year #7 which is astounding given the data. If a bad year gets him fired next year then why go into next year knowing itā€™s going to be bad instead of biting bullet now. So then You run into extension issue if he goes into season 7.

I donā€™t have a problem building out of defense, but your offense has to let kids play basketball. Basketball isnā€™t confusing but based on the way Ron coaches he seems to make it that way. Also a defense that is designed to force teams to take 3s instead of penetrating is a slightly outdated defense when most teams want to work outside in now. Itā€™s why we arenā€™t good defensively. When we did extend the D to meet shooters teams drove on us with ease and have since Ron got here. So either the system doesnā€™t work, Ron canā€™t get the players the system needs or he canā€™t coach it. It works other places but not here.

As for losing players - you simplify your system, you play something kids like and more than anything you freaking win games that matter while you have them. Your hey itā€™s gonna take 6-10 years to build a program isnā€™t a model that works anymore. You arenā€™t going to have that continuity between players and you will likely not be able to hold onto your best players. If Ron canā€™t manage that then he isnā€™t the guy for the job.

So how many years ya wanna give him?

3 Likes