Football facilities and expansion

This could be one of the best things weā€™ve done since announcing we were getting football. Iā€™m hoping Greg brings some other Panthers with him. I would love to be at a 49er game with Greg Olsen in attendance and 25,000 other 49er fans, watching the Niners win and locking up a spot in a bowl game.

clt hopes to see Kerry Collins at a game soon.

I dont know about the game but with the amount of alcohol in the black lot we might find him there.

I will kind of disagree. That FAU game was my favorite game of the season. I feel like the crowd bonded and it was fun. We also has 17000 announced.

The Temple game might have drawn 16000 without the rain.

If we could have held on against ODU, I think that we would have sold out the rest of the season. The butt-kicking kept people away from USTA.

[quote=ā€œTintin, post:24, topic:30091ā€]I will kind of disagree. That FAU game was my favorite game of the season. I feel like the crowd bonded and it was fun. We also has 17000 announced.

If we could have held on against ODU, I think that we would have sold out the rest of the season. The butt-kicking kept people away from USTA.[/quote]

Agree on all points.

[quote=ā€œTintin, post:24, topic:30091ā€]I will kind of disagree. That FAU game was my favorite game of the season. I feel like the crowd bonded and it was fun. We also has 17000 announced.

If we could have held on against ODU, I think that we would have sold out the rest of the season. The butt-kicking kept people away from USTA.[/quote]

I liked the FAU game as well. I saw a ton of empty seats though. I think the rain kept away a lot of casual to mid level fans. I saw lots of dedicated fans there but it wasnā€™t close to full from what I saw. It seemed about 75% to me at the start and went down steadily. But Iā€™m probably wrong.

The point I was making that for the fan on the fence, the take it or leave it fan, that was not a good game to attend. They didnā€™t want to face the rain.

[quote=ā€œGassman, post:26, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTintin, post:24, topic:30091ā€]I will kind of disagree. That FAU game was my favorite game of the season. I feel like the crowd bonded and it was fun. We also has 17000 announced.

I liked the FAU game as well. I saw a ton of empty seats though. I think the rain kept away a lot of casual to mid level fans. I saw lots of dedicated fans there but it wasnā€™t close to full from what I saw. It seemed about 75% to me at the start and went down steadily. But Iā€™m probably wrong.

The point I was making that for the fan on the fence, the take it or leave it fan, that was not a good game to attend. They didnā€™t want to face the rain.[/quote]

clt asks, are you blaming it on the rain?

I did not say to spend money to support a losing product, I said to spend money to enhance the gameday experience.

Going to a football game is not like going to a basketball game or a baseball game. If done rightā€¦itā€™s a full game day experience with a party like/festive atmosphere. The pageantry, electricity, fellowship and comradery is what brings out college football fans moreso than winning. Winning helps take it to another levelā€¦but if the gameday experience is special, people will come to be a part of it win or lose.

Thenā€¦that actual fan support is more of a selling point to a recruit than just having a large stadium with empty seats.[/quote]
People with NO previous connection to the school are unlikely (for the most part) to care about a ā€œfull game day experienceā€ atleast initially. You must first get people to the game (market, market, market) and have MORE than enough seats to sell. Stadium size (or lack thereof) IS a huge hindrance(sp?) to this program right now.

I did not say to spend money to support a losing product, I said to spend money to enhance the gameday experience.

Going to a football game is not like going to a basketball game or a baseball game. If done rightā€¦itā€™s a full game day experience with a party like/festive atmosphere. The pageantry, electricity, fellowship and comradery is what brings out college football fans moreso than winning. Winning helps take it to another levelā€¦but if the gameday experience is special, people will come to be a part of it win or lose.

Thenā€¦that actual fan support is more of a selling point to a recruit than just having a large stadium with empty seats.[/quote]
People with NO previous connection to the school are unlikely (for the most part) to care about a ā€œfull game day experienceā€ atleast initially. You must first get people to the game (market, market, market) and have MORE than enough seats to sell. Stadium size (or lack thereof) IS a huge hindrance(sp?) to this program right now.[/quote]
It must be affordable to get the casual fans and the community involved. I know there were some ticket specials for Young Alumni etc, but they were not advertised well. Endzone seats should be dirt cheap family packs, etc and they should be advertising those type tickets now. They should have all their ticket deals and specials ready to go by the Spring game at the latest and make a hard push there.

[quote=ā€œGassman, post:26, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTintin, post:24, topic:30091ā€]I will kind of disagree. That FAU game was my favorite game of the season. I feel like the crowd bonded and it was fun. We also has 17000 announced.

The point I was making that for the fan on the fence, the take it or leave it fan, that was not a good game to attend. They didnā€™t want to face the rain.[/quote]

It was full the whole 2nd quarter and then people slowly left from halftime on.

People hung in through the steady rain, it was the torrential downpour at the start of the third sent people scurrying. I was surprised at the lively tailgate, everyone was partying down despite the rain (and Iā€™m sure the bookstore made tons of money with tents and tent accessories :wink: ).

[quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

And stop with the recruiting argument. Recruits donā€™t follow stadium size (see the tweet that started this threadā€¦our facilities are a recruiting advantage as is). This is another example of how size is not as important as most like to believe. But if it isā€¦is there a formula? 20,000 seats=4 star recruits and 6+ wins. 40,000 seats=5 star recruits and 10+wins? Hellā€¦if soā€¦letā€™s expand to a 200,000 seat stadium and get every 10 star recruit in the galaxy and win 50 games per year!!![/quote]

Everyone knows that isnā€™t how it works. I follow football recruiting as much as anyone on this board and the stadium having a big time feel does matter to recruits. Itā€™s not the number 1 priority for most but playing in something bigger than high school stadiums is still important. Going to 20K to 22K isnā€™t going to break the bank and would satisfy any extra demand for some of the bigger games. Appā€™s stadium has a big time feel and seats 23-24K, perfect size.

Also, you talk about investing the money in other gameday experiences. Do you really trust our AD to execute these ā€œexperiencesā€ properly and to use that money in a meaningful/impactful a way? The band needs to grow but other than that what else should we do? Hand out free beer?

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

And stop with the recruiting argument. Recruits donā€™t follow stadium size (see the tweet that started this threadā€¦our facilities are a recruiting advantage as is). This is another example of how size is not as important as most like to believe. But if it isā€¦is there a formula? 20,000 seats=4 star recruits and 6+ wins. 40,000 seats=5 star recruits and 10+wins? Hellā€¦if soā€¦letā€™s expand to a 200,000 seat stadium and get every 10 star recruit in the galaxy and win 50 games per year!!![/quote]

Everyone knows that isnā€™t how it works. I follow football recruiting as much as anyone on this board and the stadium having a big time feel does matter to recruits. Itā€™s not the number 1 priority for most but playing in something bigger than high school stadiums is still important. Going to 20K to 22K isnā€™t going to break the bank and would satisfy any extra demand for some of the bigger games. Appā€™s stadium has a big time feel and seats 23-24K, perfect size.

Also, you talk about investing the money in other gameday experiences. Do you really trust our AD to execute these ā€œexperiencesā€ properly and to use that money in a meaningful/impactful a way? The band needs to grow but other than that what else should we do? Hand out free beer?[/quote]
Free beer? Yes please.

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

Everyone knows that isnā€™t how it works. I follow football recruiting as much as anyone on this board and the stadium having a big time feel does matter to recruits. Itā€™s not the number 1 priority for most but playing in something bigger than high school stadiums is still important. Going to 20K to 22K isnā€™t going to break the bank and would satisfy any extra demand for some of the bigger games.[/quote]

Agreed.

Also, you talk about investing the money in other gameday experiences. Do you really trust our AD to execute these ā€œexperiencesā€ properly and to use that money in a meaningful/impactful a way? The band needs to grow but other than that what else should we do? Hand out free beer?[/quote]
Good post. I agree with all of it EXCEPT the ā€œApp - big time feelā€ part. NOTHING about App seems ā€œbig timeā€ to me, including their stadium. yes, it feels ā€œbiggerā€ because of the upper deck and press box, but ā€œbig timeā€ noā€¦not to me anyway.

Yes definitely not big time SEC level feel but you feel like they have committed to getting as many fans in their stadium as possible. Our football fan base will grow with wins and I would rather have the capacity to accommodate these folks rather than leave them out. Our AD has already alienated enough possible fans and nothing is worse than not being able for them to get a ticket when they want to come back.

Just talking about all of this makes me even more pissed off at our AD, if that was even possible.

[quote=ā€œNugget, post:33, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

Free beer? Yes please.[/quote]

If I win the Powerball tomorrow night, free beer will be come the normal at Niner tailgates.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:35, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

Good post. I agree with all of it EXCEPT the ā€œApp - big time feelā€ part. NOTHING about App seems ā€œbig timeā€ to me, including their stadium. yes, it feels ā€œbiggerā€ because of the upper deck and press box, but ā€œbig timeā€ noā€¦not to me anyway.[/quote]

Agree that the small stadium size can hurt us from a recruiting standpoint. And although I feel Appā€™s stadium is nowhere close to ā€œbig timeā€, I feel it seems much more ā€œbig timeā€ than ours. The ā€œbig timeā€ appearance would make a difference to me if I was a high recruit. Sadly, the leaders at App seem to have figured this out while our AD and Chancellor seem to have no clue. Some times I think our AD holds a grudge because of being forced to start football.

The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

That closed in effect will be even more intimidating when we add upper decks. With a healthy crowd, it will be loud as hell based on the sunken & mostly closed configuration. Awesome home field advantage.

Just another reason I want to expand. But we have to come up with a marketing plan to sell those seats to make it work.

[quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:30091ā€]The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

That closed in effect will be even more intimidating when we add upper decks. With a healthy crowd, it will be loud as hell based on the sunken & mostly closed configuration. Awesome home field advantage.

Just another reason I want to expand. But we have to come up with a marketing plan to sell those seats to make it work.[/quote]

MARKETING PLAN
Step 1. Win games