Football facilities and expansion

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:40, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:30091ā€]The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

That closed in effect will be even more intimidating when we add upper decks. With a healthy crowd, it will be loud as hell based on the sunken & mostly closed configuration. Awesome home field advantage.

Just another reason I want to expand. But we have to come up with a marketing plan to sell those seats to make it work.[/quote]

MARKETING PLAN
Step 1. Win games[/quote]

Step 2. Have everything in place so that when we do win, we can accommodate our fans wanting to see us play. This is the step that worries me. Iā€™m afraid the AD will be out to lunch.

[quote=ā€œ49r9r, post:38, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:35, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

And stop with the recruiting argument. Recruits donā€™t follow stadium size (see the tweet that started this threadā€¦our facilities are a recruiting advantage as is). This is another example of how size is not as important as most like to believe. But if it isā€¦is there a formula? 20,000 seats=4 star recruits and 6+ wins. 40,000 seats=5 star recruits and 10+wins? Hellā€¦if soā€¦letā€™s expand to a 200,000 seat stadium and get every 10 star recruit in the galaxy and win 50 games per year!!![/quote]

Everyone knows that isnā€™t how it works. I follow football recruiting as much as anyone on this board and the stadium having a big time feel does matter to recruits. Itā€™s not the number 1 priority for most but playing in something bigger than high school stadiums is still important. Going to 20K to 22K isnā€™t going to break the bank and would satisfy any extra demand for some of the bigger games. Appā€™s stadium has a big time feel and seats 23-24K, perfect size.

Also, you talk about investing the money in other gameday experiences. Do you really trust our AD to execute these ā€œexperiencesā€ properly and to use that money in a meaningful/impactful a way? The band needs to grow but other than that what else should we do? Hand out free beer?[/quote]
Good post. I agree with all of it EXCEPT the ā€œApp - big time feelā€ part. NOTHING about App seems ā€œbig timeā€ to me, including their stadium. yes, it feels ā€œbiggerā€ because of the upper deck and press box, but ā€œbig timeā€ noā€¦not to me anyway.[/quote]

Agree that the small stadium size can hurt us from a recruiting standpoint. And although I feel Appā€™s stadium is nowhere close to ā€œbig timeā€, I feel it seems much more ā€œbig timeā€ than ours. The ā€œbig timeā€ appearance would make a difference to me if I was a high recruit. Sadly, the leaders at App seem to have figured this out while our AD and Chancellor seem to have no clue. Some times I think our AD holds a grudge because of being forced to start football.[/quote]

We have ONLY played 3 seasonsā€¦ Student attendance opened up more seats. Last year was very good with two rainy night games and a 2-10 season. We just need to build on that and as most on here have said winning will help considerably.

[quote=ā€œchasmo101, post:42, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œ49r9r, post:38, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œ919R, post:35, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:32, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:7, topic:30091ā€]I still donā€™t understand how expansion is a pressing need if thereā€™s no demand for the extra seats?

And stop with the recruiting argument. Recruits donā€™t follow stadium size (see the tweet that started this threadā€¦our facilities are a recruiting advantage as is). This is another example of how size is not as important as most like to believe. But if it isā€¦is there a formula? 20,000 seats=4 star recruits and 6+ wins. 40,000 seats=5 star recruits and 10+wins? Hellā€¦if soā€¦letā€™s expand to a 200,000 seat stadium and get every 10 star recruit in the galaxy and win 50 games per year!!![/quote]

Everyone knows that isnā€™t how it works. I follow football recruiting as much as anyone on this board and the stadium having a big time feel does matter to recruits. Itā€™s not the number 1 priority for most but playing in something bigger than high school stadiums is still important. Going to 20K to 22K isnā€™t going to break the bank and would satisfy any extra demand for some of the bigger games. Appā€™s stadium has a big time feel and seats 23-24K, perfect size.

Also, you talk about investing the money in other gameday experiences. Do you really trust our AD to execute these ā€œexperiencesā€ properly and to use that money in a meaningful/impactful a way? The band needs to grow but other than that what else should we do? Hand out free beer?[/quote]
Good post. I agree with all of it EXCEPT the ā€œApp - big time feelā€ part. NOTHING about App seems ā€œbig timeā€ to me, including their stadium. yes, it feels ā€œbiggerā€ because of the upper deck and press box, but ā€œbig timeā€ noā€¦not to me anyway.[/quote]

Agree that the small stadium size can hurt us from a recruiting standpoint. And although I feel Appā€™s stadium is nowhere close to ā€œbig timeā€, I feel it seems much more ā€œbig timeā€ than ours. The ā€œbig timeā€ appearance would make a difference to me if I was a high recruit. Sadly, the leaders at App seem to have figured this out while our AD and Chancellor seem to have no clue. Some times I think our AD holds a grudge because of being forced to start football.[/quote]

We have ONLY played 3 seasonsā€¦ Student attendance opened up more seats. Last year was very good with two rainy night games and a 2-10 season. We just need to build on that and as most on here have said winning will help considerably.[/quote]

I think my biggest question is if we have a PLAN IN PLACE to handle a high demand for tickets. WINNING will probably open up all kinds of possibilities, including the potential for new fans; including both alums and non-alums.

i hope we expand the stadium before App State comes in a few years

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:40, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:30091ā€]The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

That closed in effect will be even more intimidating when we add upper decks. With a healthy crowd, it will be loud as hell based on the sunken & mostly closed configuration. Awesome home field advantage.

Just another reason I want to expand. But we have to come up with a marketing plan to sell those seats to make it work.[/quote]

MARKETING PLAN

Why do we have a Marketing Department then?

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:45, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œ49er1, post:40, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:30091ā€]The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

MARKETING PLAN

Why do we have a Marketing Department then?[/quote]

Winning just makes marketing easier. It doesnā€™t replace what should be happening regardless of record.

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:45, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œ49er1, post:40, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:30091ā€]The difference between us and APP is that we built our stadium the right way - all of our seats are right on the field - no stupid track.

MARKETING PLAN

Why do we have a Marketing Department then?[/quote]Do we actually have a marketing department?

Just saw this, wish we could have a real AD.

Ahhā€¦ forward thinking.

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

Just saw this, wish we could have a real AD.[/quote]

Not sure the AD gets credit for stadium expansion here. Read the articleā€¦current stadium seats less than 10K and SunBelt requires min of 15K. Give credit to the SunBelt for minimum guidelines moreso than the AD for expanding stadium for some conceived or ill conceived notion.

[quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:50, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

Not sure the AD gets credit for stadium expansion here. Read the articleā€¦current stadium seats less than 10K and SunBelt requires min of 15K. Give credit to the SunBelt for minimum guidelines moreso than the AD for expanding stadium for some random conceived notion.[/quote]

Ok the AD should get credit for the additional 9K of the seatsā€¦could of done the bare minimum but we all know that no AD would do that.

They have a plan and a vision, we have an AD who thinks we are being mean when we ask for answers or ideas.

clt says we could let peoples sit on a hill like the big programs do.

Iā€™m very jealous of Coastal Carolina.

They have a football stadium expansion plan and it will hold more fans than our stadium.
They kicked our ass twice in football
They have been to the NCAA Basketball tournament the past 2 seasons
They knocked our soccer team out of the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago
Their baseball facilities are top notch and they are consistently in the NCAA tournament.
Josh Norman and Mike Tolbert went there.

They have 10,000 students, far fewer alumni than we do, and are located in a city with less than 20,000 people in it. How do they do it?

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:51, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:50, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

Not sure the AD gets credit for stadium expansion here. Read the articleā€¦current stadium seats less than 10K and SunBelt requires min of 15K. Give credit to the SunBelt for minimum guidelines moreso than the AD for expanding stadium for some random conceived notion.[/quote]

Ok the AD should get credit for the additional 9K of the seatsā€¦could of done the bare minimum but we all know that no AD would do that.

They have a plan and a vision, we have an AD who thinks we are being mean when we ask for answers or ideas.[/quote]

Where did it say 9K? I was trying to figure out the size of the expansion when I read this earlier.

If thatā€™s true, itā€™s telling that Coastal thinks they can sell 10k extra seats but we donā€™tā€¦

[quote=ā€œNinercentral, post:54, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:51, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:50, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

They have a plan and a vision, we have an AD who thinks we are being mean when we ask for answers or ideas.[/quote]

Where did it say 9K? I was trying to figure out the size of the expansion when I read this earlier.

If thatā€™s true, itā€™s telling that Coastal thinks they can sell 10k extra seats but we donā€™tā€¦[/quote]

http://wbtw.com/2015/10/01/ccu-officials-say-new-stadium-could-cost-more-than-25-million/

[b]The process will expand the facility to 20,000 seats. School officials estimate the work will cost between $19 million and $25 million, but Vice President of Finances and Administration Stacie Bowie says it could cost more.

The board also discussed building a $5 million soccer complex. The university has already received a donation of $1.5 million. According to Bowie, they plan to ask the Student Housing Foundation for additional funding.

ā€œThe Student Housing Foundation Is a separately entity thatā€™s out there to provide funding and support for the university for anything it may need,ā€ explained Bowie.[/b]

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:53, topic:30091ā€]Iā€™m very jealous of Coastal Carolina.

They have a football stadium expansion plan and it will hold more fans than our stadium.
Their baseball facilities are top notch and they are consistently in the NCAA tournament.

They have 10,000 students, far fewer alumni than we do, and are located in a city with less than 20,000 people in it. How do they do it?[/quote]

Maybe recruiting to Myrtle Beach is pretty good sell?

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:53, topic:30091ā€]Iā€™m very jealous of Coastal Carolina.

They have 10,000 students, far fewer alumni than we do, and are located in a city with less than 20,000 people in it. How do they do it?[/quote]

LEADERSHIP!

You make a good case for CCU here, but I still wouldnā€™t trade places with them (well, except being closer to the beach :slight_smile: ). In fact, the ONLY 2 things from your list I would say they have on us are the football expansion stadium PLANS (although most believe we have them as well-----we just donā€™t tell anyone) and their consistent baseball excellence / stadium. I prefer our basketball team/history, facility and our soccer team. They were a top 5 FCS team and we were in our first 2 seasons when we played them. They should have beaten us.

[quote=ā€œNinercentral, post:54, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:51, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:50, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

If thatā€™s true, itā€™s telling that Coastal thinks they can sell 10k extra seats but we donā€™tā€¦[/quote]

TRā€™s point was the SunBelt requires the universities in their conference to have a 15K stadium but they are expanding to 24K.

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:59, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œNinercentral, post:54, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:51, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:50, topic:30091ā€][quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:48, topic:30091ā€]http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/education/article_b12def66-a052-11e5-ab5b-9b281fb2a5cb.html

TRā€™s point was the SunBelt requires the universities in their conference to have a 15K stadium but they are expanding to 24K.[/quote]
The linked articles say 20,000. I havenā€™t seen 24K. Where is that?