Football Jersey Retirement

Now that he has been named as an All-American, should Alex Highsmith be the first 49er to have his football jersey retired?

Could argue that should be Larry but Highsmith should be on that list too. Assume he is drafted and we have three (maybe more with Clark and Lamay) players in the league and that does wonders for recruiting.

Um, no. At least not yet.
Let’s act like we expect having All Americans to be a regular occurrence in the future.

3 Likes

Well, being an All-American is the typical criteria for jersey retirement now (see NC State for example).

2 Likes

Being all American, or conference POY is the requirement for hoops IIRC

2 Likes

I assume there is a criteria checklist like there is for basketball. Takes some of the emotional bias out of it and alleviates the “arguing” one way or the other.

Is an NCAA appearance required, as well? I thought I remembered reading about that being a requirement.

Don’t think so - they just usually coincide

1 Like

There an official link?

I saw on twitter this morning. PFF 3rd team All- American

1 Like
2 Likes

Is PFF the people who actually put out the “official” All-American team?

No. That’s the AP.

As of 2009, the College Football All-America Team is composed of the following College Football All-American first teams: Associated Press (AP), Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Walter Camp Foundation, The Sporting News (TSN), Sports Illustrated (SI), Pro Football Weekly (PFW), ESPN, CBS Sports (CBS), College Football News (CFN), *** ProFootballFocus (PFF)***, Rivals, and Scout.

As of 2009, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) recognizes the All-America teams selected by the AP, AFCA, FWAA, Sporting News, and the WCFF to determine consensus All-Americans. If more than half of the organizations select a player to their first team, he automatically receives the “consensus” honor. In no player qualifies under that criteria, a player named to two first teams can be chosen. Second- and third-team selections can be used as tie-breakers. If still tied, each player is listed. If a player is named an All-American by all five organizations, he receives recognition. Depending upon the distribution of first team honors at any given position, it is possible to be consensus with fewer than three first-team selections.