Football recruiting discussion - Healy era

[quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:127, topic:33688, full:true”]. I don’t care if they are from Artic Circle growing up wrestling polar bears-
[/quote] Any guy who wrestles polar bears is welcomed to play on my team.

clt says we need fake classes and lots of free Jordan brand shoes

If local HS staffs start talking shit about Healey staff then it’s an issue. If he’s in good with the HS coaches then he’s corrected the mistake Lambert made. Let’s see if he picks up a few more local kids over the next year or two. Lambert had 6 years of screwing up local ties. Let’s give Healey at least three to get it fixed.

Yikes, we get our best recruiting class by far and less than a year later we’re critiquing Healy’s recruiting ability.

Recruiting is about relationships, something that takes years to develop. Doesn’t help that our program/school has a less than stellar reputation locally and the previous staff screwed up local relationships royally. Kinda unfair to expect his to fix all that in 18 months.

The majority of the kids we’re bringing in are three stars or have low level P5, high G5 offers. I’m okay with that.

5 Likes

As far as this years recruiting class is concerned could the lack of local kids be due to the fact that there is no high school football happening in North Carolina & there is in Texas, South Carolina, Tennessee & some other states. Maybe local kids are waiting until they’ve had a chance to play some games & showcase their talent as a senior before they commit. Our coaching staff may also be waiting to see them play as seniors before offering scholarships.

2 Likes

Good point

Bottom line is that if we would have won more often under the previous staff or if the previous staff brought in the level of 3 (and 4) stars that we are seeing now then people probably wouldn’t have criticized their recruiting.

If I remember correctly, local coaches said we wouldn’t even give them the time of day under the previous staff. They would have players interested in coming to Charlotte and our staff would find a similar level talent out of state.

Current staff has elevated the level of talent we are landing. Maybe that level of talent in the local area isn’t interested in coming to Charlotte. Until the recruiting level falls off or I hear similar complaints from local coaches, I’m not getting my panties in a wad.

1 Like

I am less critical of a coach that wins football games. Also, Charlotte has been competitive in every game we’ve played this season. Healy just tied Lambert’s CUSA record in less than 1.5 seasons to Lambert’s 4 seasons. I love seeing local kids like Austin Duke and K. Phillips playing for Charlotte. Let’s see how process plays out for this recruitment cycle. We are likely to have local kids walk-on at Charlotte because in state tuition is less.

This is a stupid thread. I hope you guys have miserable days.

3 Likes

You might be greatly overestimating modern teenagers’ desire to leave the nest. Things have changed greatly since the invention of internet and cell phones. They don’t have the desire to leave to explore the world they once might have.

…and “Healy” too.

[quote=“LoyalNiner, post:135, topic:33688”]
Current staff has elevated the level of talent we are landing. Maybe that level of talent in the local area isn’t interested in coming to Charlotte. Until the recruiting level falls off or I hear similar complaints from local coaches, I’m not getting my panties in a wad.
[/quote].

This.

Lambert actively enraged local high schools and our staff was not allowed in several of them. Totally different dynamic right now.

If we are getting good players I don’t care if they come from North Korea.

This is a straw man argument.

Keep doing what you’re doing Healy, he also got several high impact transfers that don’t count toward class rankings.

1 Like

I’ll a decent a huge “word” to the fact that the staff is recruiting kids that are playing football this fall.

The big boys know who the high threes, four and five state guys are in the state.
I’ve got no problem this recruiting cycle if we are in ga, sc, and tx as long as we are also a presence in the area.

It’s a straw man argument now because I brought it up. In Dec 2018 it wasn’t a straw man argument when you said local recruiting should always be first. Not sometimes but always. Not unless he is getting good recruits elsewhere but always. Not 2nd or 3rd but 1sr.

I was just pointing out that local recruiting, which the majority of the people on this board thought was extremely important 2 years ago, hasn’t seemed to improve. It’s been 2 years. Plenty of time to mend fences.

No one is arguing that recruiting hasn’t improved tremendously. Only that a gap, and a very important one in my opinion, still exists.

I read all of the posts starting yesterday during my lunch.

I’m now much dumber for having done so. Thanks…

Recruiting Ranking:
2013 - 112
2014 - 119
2015 - 126
2016 - 119
2017 - 114
2018 - 111
2019 -132

2020 = 71

Whatever they are doing… it seems to be working well.

1 Like

Hasn’t seemed to improve? Your trolling of Healy is a bit tiresome. Have you looked at the 2020 class?

2020-3*s from Charlotte region
Anthony Jackson
Arabee Muslim
Donta Armstrong

Transfers originally from here 3* or higher

Ricky Kofoed
Derek Boykins
Tre Harbison

2018 (Lambert’s last full class)

3*s from Charlotte region

None

Transfers back to Charlotte from here

Dantrell Barkley

You may consider these equal, I do not.

2 Likes

Yes!
(Mic drop)

Some people just like to hear themselves talk (complain)