Football recruiting discussion - Healy era

clt says it is clear we expect a gold standard

Well lets see - Healy had one year on a short cycle to sign his first class - which had local 3 stars and transfers, and now is dealing with COVID, so I am not calling judgements on his local recruiting when many local schools arent even playing right now.

As I said before the biggest complaint about Lambert is we werent even in a position to recruit local kids because they had pissed off all the local staffs. They talked mad shit about us. They arent doing that now and by all account are getting along well enough with the Healy staff. Letā€™s see where this class lands and what the next one looks like under a regular recruiting window and fall. If he is signing 3-8 local kids a year then perfect. We donā€™t need nor should we have a class of all charlotte kids.

Just curious - were you a big Judy supporter? Your hate for all things Mike Hill is just amazing to me when we have improved in almost every measurable metric. The only category he hasnt made a significant improvement in is really large donors and I suspect he has those lined up with the facilities plan that has since been put on hold due to covid.

Hate for all things Mike Hill? Talk about a straw man argument. Cmon man.

Mike is the best thing to happen to this university in the past 10-15 years. Heā€™s made what look like good hires for football and basketball. Heā€™s increased the visibility of the university. Heā€™s connected with fans and alumni,. All things the past AD didnā€™t do and refused to do. He didnā€™t like a comment of mine on Twitter once so he had me down for a basketball game and we talked it out. What AD does that? So Iā€™m sold on Hill. Heā€™s what this university needs. Doesnā€™t mean where there are missteps or gaps that I wonā€™t point them out.

Dude I get it , youā€™re sold out. 1000% bought in and enjoy the perks that come with it and you arenā€™t going to jeopardize that. Just donā€™t try and smear those who donā€™t have the same philosophy.

1 Like

It takes a little time to build those relationships. Healy doesnā€™t have a track record to point to like Mack Brown. I think heā€™s doing just fine in his second season.

1 Like

You just have been down on what seems like everything when everything is finally getting better.

I told Judy and her staff yā€™all do good stuff Iā€™ll say you did good, do stuff poor and Iā€™ll say that too. Wasnā€™t my fault they failed left and right. This staff on the other hand has been executing against just about everything they need to and meeting or exceeding at least my expectations.

As for perks, not sure what that means. I got a swag box because they showed me the logo back in November of 2019 as they gathered opinions and feedback from various alums and sources. I was told you always speak your mind and if you think this is off then you will tell us. The swag box was mostly, IMO, as a thanks for keeping the logo discussion quiet and not telling the world. The parking up near the stadium might be a perk but Mike did that to get atmosphere at the stadium at Healeyā€™s request - my group, not me, got that after showing up every Gameday. Not to mention it was a strategic giving decision on their part as they have significantly impacted the giving of the folks by putting my group up there including a few capital gifts.

Going to the game last weekend was at the invitation of the Alumni Association not the AD and is the result of supporting their work.

If Iā€™m a sellout at this point because I think things are going good and say that then :man_shrugging:t3:. You just seem to be overly negative about just about everything and I canā€™t figure out why. I donā€™t recall you being that way before Mike, but maybe I just donā€™t remember it. All the things I railed against have been or are being fixed and addressed. When they go the wrong way, Iā€™ll hold them to that as well. I said before and Iā€™ll say again. I donā€™t want or care about perks or access. I want success. Iā€™m seeing that in nearly all we are doing right now. I just canā€™t see your angle here.

Glad you are on board with Mike though. Totally agree heā€™s the best thing that has happened in many years!

I think everyone on the board understands that ā€œJudy Rose supporterā€ is a dog whistle. I mean, we were talking about Healy and recruiting the Charlotte metro area. There was a purpose behind it.

We both agree Hill is great for the university. Some things could certainly be tightened up a bit but overall great job thus far.

Last year you complained about us not having the best class in the conference. Now itā€™s not recruiting Charlotte kids.

Recruiting is going great.

Iā€™ve heard over and overt hat Lambert and his staff pissed off local HS coaches. But Iā€™ve never heard exactly why. I donā€™t want to derail the thread, but can anyone explain what went down to cause this negative reaction from the local coaches?

Iā€™d like to know that too.

I was told by a local head coach that once Ratliff passed that he never saw another coach fr Charlotte and he sent players to play at App and other schools that could have played for us. He was shocked that he never even got a visit to check out his guys which I think was pretty normal with other coaches

There were twitter posts talking smack about the staff. I canā€™t recall the coaches names though.

Vance. Mallard creek for sure. You know, two of the top football schools in the area and from both of which you can see the library of our university. :man_facepalming:t2:

And from both of which we got a recruit in the 2020 class. But donā€™t let me distract you from your stupidity.

4 Likes

You know I am really looking forward to this Covid thing being over and having a huge party. My first invite will be Mullins because he definitely seems like a blast in those type of settings. Party on MM!!

I donā€™t understand some of the comments here. It is clear from looking back on this board that most fans thought Charlotteā€™s inability to harvest some of the good local talent was a problem in the past. Healy identified it as a problem he wanted to work on, and came up with what I thought was a good strategy to do so. So far we are not seeing much in the way of results, but this doesnā€™t necessarily mean that Healy has failed. Or that his plan has failed. Maybe it just takes more time. What it does not mean though is that recruiting local talent was not the plan, or is not important. Measurably, we are not there yet, and that seem like fair discussion on a message board.

You donā€™t understand? Let me explain it. There are a group of 10-15 posters who are all essentially the same people. If you have a different opinion, slightly or otherwise, than those 10-15, then youā€™re a Judy Rose supporter or stupid or whatever moniker they would like to come up with. In some cases, those people had the same opinion you did at one time as you point out. But since one disagreed, they must all disagree and insult until you get tired and just stop posting. The echo chamber is then restored and all is well.

I donā€™t know anyone on this board well enough to say they are stupid or support this person or that person and vice versa.

You whines about the cost of gear at 704
You whine about the lack of recruiting in Charlotte
You whined that we didnā€™t have the best recruiting class in Cusa last year.
You whined about the offense at UNT.

Thereā€™s your common thread.

Charlotte for the last two years has been making lemonade and youā€™re going thru the trash complaining about seeds.

5 Likes

Exhibit A your Honor.

And for the record only one of these is true. The rest straw man.

Iā€™ve always heard trailer park parties get real rowdy. Looking forward to it.

Is that how itā€™s done guys?

A lot of truth in the "you dont understand " post.

It hasnā€™t failed. Weā€™ve had one full class since Healy arrived and got 8 local guys in it which is about half the class. That doesnā€™t even account for the local transfers. This class isnā€™t done yet.

3 Likes