For the Ladies - Title IX offsetting sports for football

From the original plan (re: FCS football):

Women’s sport 1 (2016): mentioned: Field Hockey/Lacrosse - venue: TransAm Field
Women’s sport 2 (2019): mentioned: other from above - venue: TransAm Field
Women’s sport 3 (2022): mentioned: Swimming - venue: Meck Aqua Center or on campus new

A10 women’s sports we don’t have yet:

Field Hockey
Lacrosse
Swimming & Diving
Rowing

Now here’s what’s changed:

We’re FBS (which probably means a 4th women’s sport)
We’re moving to another conference

CUSA women’s sports we don’t have yet:

Golf
Rowing
Swimming & Diving

Golf is an easy add for us; and with the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center and the planned Student Athletics Center which should include an Olympic regulation pool, swimming might not be a big problem

But rowing seems to be out of the question.

I suspect our previous support for Competitive Cheerleading as a Title IX compliant sport is about to be redoubled.

BEACH VOLLEYBALL.

Seriously, UAB has it. Why not us?

FIU has it too, but I’m not sure it’s an NCAA sport or counts against Title IX. Still, would be great to have.

Hey, what’s Lew stealing my ideas for?

If we start a women’s rowing team, we will be in the same conference with Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Who knew CUSA was a BCS conference for Women’s Rowing?

http://www.conferenceusa.com/championships/12-rowing-championship.html

Why would rowing be out of the question 49RFBN?

Would none of the lakes in the area be suitable?

I remember at one time there was to be a lake near the tennis courts. I remember some map even had a small boat and a water skier in it.

[quote=“upperdeck, post:7, topic:26764”]I remember at one time there was to be a lake near the tennis courts. I remember some map even had a small boat and a water skier in it.[/quote]yeah the EPA shut that down I think.

lol @ the boat though. That lake woudln’t have been that big. It would have been a couple acres maximum. It was to be used for flood control along Toby Creek.

[quote=“Niner National, post:8, topic:26764”][quote=“upperdeck, post:7, topic:26764”]I remember at one time there was to be a lake near the tennis courts. I remember some map even had a small boat and a water skier in it.[/quote]yeah the EPA shut that down I think.

lol @ the boat though. That lake woudln’t have been that big. It would have been a couple acres maximum. It was to be used for flood control along Toby Creek.[/quote]

I remember that map. IIRC, it had a sunfish on it and no water skier. I remember daydreaming of how awesome it would be to sail on campus.

Rumor has it that very soon, like, this summer, NCAA will no longer consider football as part of Title IX consideration. Also, football players could begin receiving pay based off of merchandise sales.

It’s not the NCAA’s call. Feds.

^^^^THIS^^^^

The NCAA would kill off Title IX requirements if they could. Title IX is a law.

Most likely golf since the men’s program is pretty firmly established.

clt has a UNCC crew hat. It makes little to no sense.

how bout pole vaulting? 8)

Houston, we may have a problem. The only two C-USA women’s sports that we do not have only account for 20 scholarships. That leaves us about 65 scholarships short. There are 3 tests for Title IX compliance and we must meet one. Hopefully we can prove this one, although I am not sure how it would be quantified. [font=sans-serif][size=13px]Accommodating the interest and ability of underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution is meeting the interests and abilities of its female students even where there are disproportionately fewer females than males participating in sports.[/size][/font]

Swimming and Diving - 14 scholarships
Golf - 6 scholarships

[quote=“Nugget, post:16, topic:26764”]Houston, we may have a problem. The only two C-USA women’s sports that we do not have only account for 20 scholarships. That leaves us about 65 scholarships short. There are 3 tests for Title IX compliance and we must meet one. Hopefully we can prove this one, although I am not sure how it would be quantified. Accommodating the interest and ability of underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution is meeting the interests and abilities of its female students even where there are disproportionately fewer females than males participating in sports.

Swimming and Diving - 14 scholarships
Golf - 6 scholarships[/quote]

I think we will still go with Lacrosse and/or Field Hockey. They can either find another league or play as indys.

How many schollies can we get out of a Pole Dancing Team? :stuck_out_tongue: :-* :)) 8)