Forest Trail Sports University

Barber Scotia College is a HBCU school just outside of downtown Concord, and through financial mismanagement they lost their accreditation a couple of years ago and have stopped offering classes. They hope to revive the college, but in the mean time they have leased most of their campus to a new university that focuses on sports. I don’t whether to be impressed that they are being honest about the real focus for many student-athletes–or should they be called athlete-students here?–or, saddened that it has come to this. Their URL is “.com” and not “.edu”, so I think this says a lot.

http://www.foresttrailsportsuniversity.com

Tuition and Fees 2016 – 2017
$38,700.00

Tuition & Fees Includes:

• Scholarship
  • Athletic Program
  • Double Room
  • Tuition (Waldorf University)
  • 14 Meals Per Week

No thanks…

At least their Online Store is nicer than ours

http://spiritstore.olinesports.com/category.php?viewcategory=3

[quote=“donkeyjaws, post:2, topic:30387”]Tuition and Fees 2016 – 2017
$38,700.00

Tuition & Fees Includes:

• Scholarship
  • Athletic Program
  • Double Room
  • Tuition (Waldorf University)
  • 14 Meals Per Week

No thanks…[/quote]
$38K?? No thanks!

So, no accreditation whatsoever (From what I can tell), no scholarships, who would they even play in their sports?

I’m not understanding the target “customer” for this “school”…Is it basically one of those for-profit “Universities” but with the added gimmick of playing sports for the school?

clt says this is a perfect feeder school for UNC-CHeat

And why is the degree through another U?

[quote=“LzeroKI, post:5, topic:30387”]So, no accreditation whatsoever (From what I can tell), no scholarships, who would they even play in their sports?

I’m not understanding the target “customer” for this “school”…Is it basically one of those for-profit “Universities” but with the added gimmick of playing sports for the school?[/quote]

The target customer is anyone who can get a student loan. Its a scam like most for profit schools. It’s garbage.

Where do they play? D1? D2? D3? NAIA?

Their academic partner, Waldorf University, is located in Forest City, Iowa (located west of I-35 between Des Moines and Minneapolis) and is an NAIA school.

[font=Roboto][size=13px]clt says the acc is pure class.[/size][/font]

[quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:30387”][quote=“LzeroKI, post:5, topic:30387”]So, no accreditation whatsoever (From what I can tell), no scholarships, who would they even play in their sports?

I’m not understanding the target “customer” for this “school”…Is it basically one of those for-profit “Universities” but with the added gimmick of playing sports for the school?[/quote]

The target customer is anyone who can get a student loan. Its a scam like most for profit schools. It’s garbage.[/quote]
That scam is going on in public universities and private NFP universities too.

NinerID, if you scam for the greater good people think you’re a hero. If you scam for your own pocket, you’re evil. :-*

Big O finally decided to investigate.

Charlotteobserver.com: New sports university in Concord to offer coaching, but no classes

No classes, no sports league. I guess they just scrimmage all season. :))

clt can officially report that ftsu is being punished for the CHeat scandal

Didn’t read through all of the Big O piece until today and saw that FTSU no longer had an academic partner. So basically it’s now a very high priced Y!!!

Run49er they are nice enough to provide a Free bus to RCCC, if $32,700 can be considered free…

My heart breaks for these kids and families. They are being robbed.

This is a scam. There’s no other way to put it.

The scholarship sounds great but it’s just a sale. The 20k scholarship I nothing more than a “60% off all clearance” sale.

Many are likely the first kids in their families to go to college and have free (til you leave with a loan) college. They don’t understand what they are messing up.

clt says this team will also play dewberry.