Former Butler (NC) & Georgia WR Uriah Lemay to transfer to Charlotte

It was more for him, he only get to play 3 years, which kind of sucks.

Yeah I am curious about this to. Technically we are FCS so he doesnā€™t have to sit out does he? Plays right away because he is dropping down, but then still has 4 years since he was RS at UGA?[/quote]

We are now considered an FBS team (we have more schollys than FCS allows), so it will likely be the same situation as the transfer from Syracuse. He will have to get a waiver to play this year.[/quote]
Did he RS at Georgia?[/quote]Yes[/quote]

Well s***, that means he loses a year[/quote]Still gives him 3 years to play with us even if he does, so why does it matter? Even if he had played this year at UGA instead of redshirting, weā€™d still only have had him for 3 seasons, so nothing really changes for us. If he gets a waiver, then heā€™d have 4, but Iā€™m not counting on that.[/quote]

Yeah I am curious about this to. Technically we are FCS so he doesnā€™t have to sit out does he? Plays right away because he is dropping down, but then still has 4 years since he was RS at UGA?[/quote]

We are now considered an FBS team (we have more schollys than FCS allows), so it will likely be the same situation as the transfer from Syracuse. He will have to get a waiver to play this year.[/quote]

Well s***, that means he loses a year[/quote]Still gives him 3 years to play with us even if he does, so why does it matter? Even if he had played this year at UGA instead of redshirting, weā€™d still only have had him for 3 seasons, so nothing really changes for us. If he gets a waiver, then heā€™d have 4, but Iā€™m not counting on that.[/quote]

Iā€™d rather him get 3 years versus CUSA that this season.

[quote=ā€œTintin, post:22, topic:28822ā€]Iā€™d rather him get 3 years versus CUSA that this season.[/quote]I am trying not to point you out Tintin, but you gave me a good example to ask the question. I see this thought process here a lot, and I wonder if it really matters? If we play our better players now and win, in theory wonā€™t we be able to recruit better replacements for them when they are gone? Lemay would also have more playing experience when we get to C-USA. It seems to me that saving players for FBS will only benefit us for one year, if at all. Eventually they must all be replaced, so why not win early and often and go get more good players?

Iā€™d rather him get 3 years versus CUSA that this season.[/quote]Youā€™re misunderstanding.

He will have three years for us in CUSA if he doesnā€™t get a waiver.

If he somehow does, he will have 4 years to play for us.

He redshirted last year, so he theoretically still has 4 years to play. If no waiver is granted, he will sit out this year, lose a year of eligibility, and play 3 years for us in CUSA.

Iā€™d rather him get 3 years versus CUSA that this season.[/quote]Youā€™re misunderstanding.

He will have three years for us in CUSA if he doesnā€™t get a waiver.

If he somehow does, he will have 4 years to play for us.

He redshirted last year, so he theoretically still has 4 years to play. If no waiver is granted, he will sit out this year, lose a year of eligibility, and play 3 years for us in CUSA.[/quote]

This is what I meant, but I do get Nuggetā€™s point. I donā€™t want to redshirt Phillips or any other true freshman that played in '13 to save them for CUSA.

I want to win this year. Weā€™re going to get our asses beat in CUSA even with these guys.

i dont agree. i think we are stockpiling talent and are probably going to be a middle of the pack cusa team in our first season. we have a lot of talent, specifically at rb and wr.

i dont agree. i think we are stockpiling talent and are probably going to be a middle of the pack cusa team in our first season. we have a lot of talent, specifically at rb and wr.[/quote]man I really donā€™t agree. I feel good about WR and RB.

I donā€™t feel good about any of our other positions right now. Weā€™ll need to get a good haul from JUCO for next yearā€™s class before I feel good.

Right now, I feel like weā€™ll be lucky to win more than 2 games in CUSA.

i dont agree. i think we are stockpiling talent and are probably going to be a middle of the pack cusa team in our first season. we have a lot of talent, specifically at rb and wr.[/quote]man I really donā€™t agree. I feel good about WR and RB.

I donā€™t feel good about any of our other positions right now. Weā€™ll need to get a good haul from JUCO for next yearā€™s class before I feel good.

Right now, I feel like weā€™ll be lucky to win more than 2 games in CUSA.[/quote]

i feel like our weakest positions are defensive lines and tight end. i think the games we lose are going to be because we get pushed around. hopefully we can add jamar winston to the roster before we enter cusa. i feel like our offensive line is pretty strong and becoming deeper. i think the real talent on the o-line is the younger players like german, davis and lawshe. we have good linebackers and i think bridges-thompson is going to be a really good one. i think phillips will be a star at running back but im not yet sold on johnson. he has mobility and a decent arm but lacks accuracy. i love our wide receivers and i think the depth we have there could wear teams down.

i dont agree. i think we are stockpiling talent and are probably going to be a middle of the pack cusa team in our first season. we have a lot of talent, specifically at rb and wr.[/quote]

oh, I canā€™t agree with this. Our lines are just not good enough and this will take time. The only place I think we can really stack up with CUSA teams is at WR. No where else.

i dont agree. i think we are stockpiling talent and are probably going to be a middle of the pack cusa team in our first season. we have a lot of talent, specifically at rb and wr.[/quote]

i really only meant the offensive line and i base that more on potential than current production.

oh, I canā€™t agree with this. Our lines are just not good enough and this will take time. The only place I think we can really stack up with CUSA teams is at WR. No where else.[/quote]

Right now, I feel like weā€™ll be lucky to win more than 2 games in CUSA.[/quote]

i feel like our weakest positions are defensive lines and tight end. i think the games we lose are going to be because we get pushed around. hopefully we can add jamar winston to the roster before we enter cusa. i feel like our offensive line is pretty strong and becoming deeper. i think the real talent on the o-line is the younger players like german, davis and lawshe. we have good linebackers and i think bridges-thompson is going to be a really good one. i think phillips will be a star at running back but im not yet sold on johnson. he has mobility and a decent arm but lacks accuracy. i love our wide receivers and i think the depth we have there could wear teams down.[/quote]

Phillips alone will be worth buying season tickets for the next 3 yrs. He is as legit of a talent as we have anywhere on the roster.

Kalif Phillipsā€¦La-Jit!!!

I donā€™t want to be a killjoy hereā€¦ We have some very nice building blocks, but unless we see huge growth on both lines, and an influx of big body talent, 2015 could get real ugly. We need to hit the JUCOā€™s hard next year.

I donā€™t see that as part of the solution. A junior JUCO that comes in after next season only adds to the amount of guys that are going to graduate after the 2016 season, making the 2017 season brutal. I would rather take our medicine in 2015 and improve from there.

I really thought we would have hit the JUCO trail harder this year to have more age for 2015-2016 . We will only have ~12 Juniors this season, only ~half of those are on scholarship.
Maybe weā€™ll reach for some 5th year guys next season.

I know I am known for being Mr. Positivity but our schedule this year sets us up for a long season once again. Our schedule is tougher than last year and lord knows we struggled with it. Bringing in Lemay is a good call. It is worth a shot. We need depth everywhere to survive CUSA.

However, I do agree that we need linemen in a bad way not to mention linebackers.

I think with how our players are developing and the recruits we are getting, I donā€™t think its so crazy to think we can get 3 maybe 4 wins in 2015. Which wouldnā€™t be too bad.

With our offense, not having the best offensive line wonā€™t kill us, if we have a smart QB and good WRs, we can overcome that. Its the defense (defensive line) Iā€™m really concerned about. Thats what really hurt us last year, we couldnā€™t get pressure on the QB and disrupt the running game.

[quote=ā€œNinerfan2012, post:36, topic:28822ā€]I think with how our players are developing and the recruits we are getting, I donā€™t think its so crazy to think we can get 3 maybe 4 wins in 2015. Which wouldnā€™t be too bad.

With our offense, not having the best offensive line wonā€™t kill us, if we have a smart QB and good WRs, we can overcome that. Its the defense (defensive line) Iā€™m really concerned about. Thats what really hurt us last year, we couldnā€™t get pressure on the QB and disrupt the running game.[/quote]

I disagree. A slow or small offensive line (compared to CUSA d lines) will neuter a running game and not allow a qb time to throw thus killing the effectiveness of a stellar wr core.
And we saw what an ineffective d line looked like late last season. We were picked apart by Wesley and Pembroke. Imagine what a an average BCS team could do.
I do think we are getting better players and are going in the right direction, but 2015 will be a long season.

Imagine what a bad FBS team will do. ODU was better than we are out of the gate and only beat Idaho (the worst FBS team in the country) last year. The rest of their wins were vs FCS teams.

This season will tell us a lot about where our line play is.

Truthfully, unless we just dominate the line of scrimmage every game this season, weā€™re not going to have any chance in 2015. Thereā€™s an opportunity for the D line to get noticably better (because it was so bad last year) and still not dominate this season.

Weā€™re stocking WRs so deep that it seems likely weā€™ll be set there, and maybe we can even convert one or two to DBs. But until we own those lines of scrimmage, weā€™re nowhere near competing at the FBS level. If we push every opponent 5 yards off the ball on every down this year, then maybe weā€™ll be able to hold our own in 2015. Maybe.

Football is just such a different beast than hoops. In the old days of hoops, you were elite if you had a top flight C and PG. Rule changes, especially the 3pt shot, levelled the field. That hasnā€™t happened in football. You have got to have the horses on both of the lines. You can have NFL players at the skill positions, but if you cant block or pass rush/run defend, youā€™re screwed. Thereā€™s no faking it.

And then look at the freaks the SEC has at LB. Was watching that UGA-North Texas game last year and UGAs LBs were ridiculous. They were so much bigger and more athletic than anything NT had. Itā€™s such a stacked deck. UNT had some vets and some decent skill guys, and they hung with them for a while, but UGA just overpowered them with 3 deep size and athleticism. Even if we can get our 1st stringers to respectable, weā€™re gonna get overpowered when our subs come in.

It takes years to build that kind of depth into a program. It requires much much more patience as a fan. You canā€™t recruit Rodney White and suddenly become a contender like we did in hoops.

And to that point - Im excited about adding a player with this kids prep credentials, but we will need linemen to make these types of commitments work for us. He needs time to get open and our QB needs time to throw to him.

[quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:28822ā€]This season will tell us a lot about where our line play is.

Truthfully, unless we just dominate the line of scrimmage every game this season, weā€™re not going to have any chance in 2015. Thereā€™s an opportunity for the D line to get noticably better (because it was so bad last year) and still not dominate this season.

Weā€™re stocking WRs so deep that it seems likely weā€™ll be set there, and maybe we can even convert one or two to DBs. But until we own those lines of scrimmage, weā€™re nowhere near competing at the FBS level. If we push every opponent 5 yards off the ball on every down this year, then maybe weā€™ll be able to hold our own in 2015. Maybe.

Football is just such a different beast than hoops. In the old days of hoops, you were elite if you had a top flight C and PG. Rule changes, especially the 3pt shot, levelled the field. That hasnā€™t happened in football. You have got to have the horses on both of the lines. You can have NFL players at the skill positions, but if you cant block or pass rush/run defend, youā€™re screwed. Thereā€™s no faking it.

And then look at the freaks the SEC has at LB. Was watching that UGA-North Texas game last year and UGAs LBs were ridiculous. They were so much bigger and more athletic than anything NT had. Itā€™s such a stacked deck. UNT had some vets and some decent skill guys, and they hung with them for a while, but UGA just overpowered them with 3 deep size and athleticism. Even if we can get our 1st stringers to respectable, weā€™re gonna get overpowered when our subs come in.

It takes years to build that kind of depth into a program. It requires much much more patience as a fan. You canā€™t recruit Rodney White and suddenly become a contender like we did in hoops.

And to that point - Im excited about adding a player with this kids prep credentials, but we will need linemen to make these types of commitments work for us. He needs time to get open and our QB needs time to throw to him.[/quote]Spot on.