Former players as coaches

By my quick count their are 14 NBA coaches who played in the NBA. 2 of those coaches were PG’s (Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher).

Kidd, one of the greatest PG’s probably ever, had a combined record of 78-70 in two seasons. He’s also been known to be a headcase.

Fisher in his first season is 13-53.

So one is floating slightly above .500, and the other is far, far, far beneath it.

Meanwhile former forwards such as Kevin McHale and Terry Stotts are doing well. Best records in the league? Belong to a Euro journeyman SG in Mike Budenholzer - Hawks (never sniffed the NBA), and Steve Kerr (SG).

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:1, topic:29490”]By my quick count their are 14 NBA coaches who played in the NBA. 2 of those coaches were PG’s (Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher).

Kidd, one of the greatest PG’s probably ever, had a combined record of 78-70 in two seasons. He’s also been known to be a headcase.

So one is floating slightly above .500, and the other is far, far, far beneath it.

Meanwhile former forwards such as Kevin McHale and Terry Stotts are doing well. Best records in the league? Belong to a Euro journeyman SG in Mike Budenholzer - Hawks (never sniffed the NBA), and Steve Kerr (SG).[/quote]

We can also add coaching luminaries Jacque Vaughn, Mark Jackson, and Brian Shaw. All former PG’s. All fired in the past 12 months.

There’s absolutely no correlation between coaching and the position you played.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:1, topic:29490”]By my quick count their are 14 NBA coaches who played in the NBA. 2 of those coaches were PG’s (Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher).

Meanwhile former forwards such as Kevin McHale and Terry Stotts are doing well. Best records in the league? Belong to a Euro journeyman SG in Mike Budenholzer - Hawks (never sniffed the NBA), and Steve Kerr (SG).[/quote]

Kidd has done a pretty good job with both teams he’s coached. The Bucks are considerably better than they had any right to be. They won 15 games last year.

He won a playoff series last year with the Nets.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:3, topic:29490”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:1, topic:29490”]By my quick count their are 14 NBA coaches who played in the NBA. 2 of those coaches were PG’s (Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher).

Kidd has done a pretty good job with both teams he’s coached. The Bucks are considerably better than they had any right to be. They won 15 games last year.

He won a playoff series last year with the Nets.[/quote]

I wasn’t saying Kidd did a horrible job. Just nothing over the moon exciting. He also was relieved of his duties with the Nets after that season, so not everything was peachy with him as a coach.

My point still was made. There’s no correlation between being an NBA PG and being a good/great coach.

There is no correlation between position and success, but I can’t even read greenman’s posts so I don’t take them seriously.

Kidd was relieved at the Nets because he thought they wouldn’t trade him and they did. I don’t think he’s been a headcase at all.

Sidney Lowe (who use to coach NCSU) was a PG as well.

He did great things there ;D

clt demands that we ask malik el tamir to be our new coach.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:5, topic:29490”]There is no correlation between position and success, but I can’t even read greenman’s posts so I don’t take them seriously.

Kidd was relieved at the Nets because he thought they wouldn’t trade him and they did. I don’t think he’s been a headcase at all.[/quote]

I just finally answered his point because I was tired of him pushing it as some fact.

What position did Popovich play?

Wikipedia doesn’t say, but at 6’2" I’m guessing he was a guard. He also never played in the NBA.

Phil Jackson was decent.