Fowler on the Niners in the Charlotte Observer...

Hey Mike P, why don’t you go tell Fowler to never write about us ever again? He already writes crappy, folksy stories that are so childlike in nature that he looks as if he knows almost nothing about sports itself.

So, the two or so stories that he’s written on us this year are “they are good, but can’t win the big win” and “where are the fans”? Memo to Fowler: half the people on this board can write better than you can, so keep writing about the Heels, Wake, Duke, etc. Don’t write about us at all if you all that you can write are a couple of negative pieces that further showcase your talentless ass.

Mike P, as the “sports editor”, maybe you could tell Fowler to stick to his usual: colloquial, mundane stories that really mean nothing.

Personally I didnt think Fowler’s article was that bad, I mean at least they are covering us. All he was really writing about was the truth, that we need more attendance.

[i]Originally posted by 49erchimer[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 08:23 PM [b] Personally I didnt think Fowler's article was that bad, I mean at least they are covering us. All he was really writing about was the truth, that we need more attendance. [/b]
What he said.

Yeah, I thought it was a good article. I mean, it’s true, and it’s coverage - what else do you want?

I agree. I didn’t feel like he was talking $hit about us. I feel like he was more making a statement about the community not supporting a quality program…and he’s right.

I don’t really like Fowler’s style either. Reminds me of an old man telling a story to his grandkid sitting on his knee. Yawn.

But I didn’t mind the content of the article. Twas true.

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft+Feb 17 2005, 08:50 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MeinShaft @ Feb 17 2005, 08:50 PM)

Fowler writes personal interest stories that relate to sports. Some people have no interest in people overcoming problems with the help of sports, but I certainly do! After all, there is supposed to be a personal growth benefit to participating in sports, rather than being about nothing but the wins and losses (yes, I’m probably showing my age here).

Like others here, I felt he told nothing but the truth in a way that should encourage more people to check out the product on the floor here.

My only complaint was that I wish he had mentioned that we have 2 guys from Charlotte (Withers and Drayton), where he mentioned only Withers, and maybe mention Baldwin from just up the road in Rural Hall.

Thanks to the O for sending two reporters again, as they did for the Cincy game.

By the way, jbpfeen says "Memo to Fowler: half the people on this board can write better than you can, so keep writing about the Heels, Wake, Duke, etc. Don’t write about us at all if you all that you can write are a couple of negative pieces that further showcase your talentless ass. " jb is obviously not among the half that he believes can write B)

GO NINERS!!!

You gripe when there is no coverage and you gripe when there is coverage. Man, all Fowler did was give us an article that, like it or not, was true. If you don’t like that, do something to get butts in the empty seats other than putting the onus on the Observer.

Fowler spoke nothing but the truth… Perhaps this is why they say the truth hurts?

Fowler’s article was a borderline shot at us but it was more of a calling out of the Charlotte community to come out to our games. I have no problem with the article at all. As a matter of fact if you posted that article on this board, it would look like someone on this board wrote it.

Bullshit.

It’s has become obvious to me that the Observer writers have a bad taste in their mouths about the Niners. For some reason, 75% of their stories are back-handed compliments (Niners are good but can’t sell out, i.e.) or flat out try to let their readers know that the ACC is the reason for college basketball.

There are exceptions and the lady covering us has done a good job. We have had more exposure than in the past, I gues that’s what 18-4 will do.

Maybe the reason is that a lot our fans are considered whiners. We need to quit doing that. 100+ people read this board, about 100 times that read the paper, you aren’t going to win.

Same thing with Packer, he’s got a pulpit where people hear his message, we don’t. Oh yea, Pack, if you’re reading this, we’re on to your act. The good cop thing you try to pull every now and then fools nobody. Cover the ACC and have another cheeseburger, we really don’t care any more.

In conclusion of this long-winded post, enjoy the season and screw the media. They’ll take a shot at us every chance they get. To paraphrase Mr. Persinger, “It’s not their job to support the Niners, it their job to report on them.” After reading his quote to that affect, It finally dawned on me that they have no desire to be a “local” paper, it’s dollars and cents. And yes, I do know it’s all about selling papers, doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Hootie,

You have brought up strong points. We keep on winning they can’t help but crawl down from Durham area and cover us. I know it is a “long” and costly drive. But, the Chapel hole Disturber business is selling papers. And, that is the price.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Feb 18 2005, 07:54 AM [b] Fowler spoke nothing but the truth..... Perhaps this is why they say the truth hurts? [/b]
Actually, I thought the community responded quite well (media & attendance/enthusiasm) to Bobby's plea for more support. That was my only problem with it. Of course, we always need more fans in Halton and in general but so does every school.

Uh oh…Over40 is reading this thread :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

I don’t care for Fowler but I really didn’t think anything of his column today…nothing in a negative aspect anyway.

I thought Fowler was right on the money with his piece. My only real complaint this season with coverage has been with the lack of pre-game/day of game stuff. And I’m still waiting for the paper to announce that Curt won C-USA Player of the Week following last week’s performance at Saint Louis.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 18 2005, 09:34 AM [b] And I'm still waiting for the paper to announce that Curt won C-USA Player of the Week following last week's performance at Saint Louis. [/b]
It doesn't just matter that Curtis Withers playes for the Charlotte 49ers, he's a Charlotte native who played high school ball at West Charlotte.

I’m betting that had Curtis been playing for Georgia and was selected SEC Player of the Week it would’ve been in the Tuesday morning editions. :smirk:

Is there a link to the story?

[i]Originally posted by gamer[/i]@Feb 18 2005, 09:54 AM [b] Is there a link to the story? [/b]
Not sure which one you wanted gamer...

Good ball, bobbleheads – empty seats?, Scott Fowler, Charlotte Observer

Feb. 14 Men’s Basketball Notebook, Conference USA

We don’t run players of the week on college or high school sports, not even the ACC. We run them on NFL and NBA only if they’re with the Panthers or Bobcats. Just not something we do.

I took Fowler's column to mean it's a shame that the people of Charlotte aren't coming out to see what has become a fine team. I guess other interpretations are possible.