FOXSports.com 2005-06 Power 16

An early look at the 2005-06 Power 16

[b][b]14. George Washington[/b]

Talented wing Regis Koundjia joins a potentially explosive Colonials squad. Coached by rising star Karl Hobbs, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Mike Hall — should they wisely pull out of the NBA draft — will dominate the Atlantic 10 and spark national interest.[/b]

clt mocks this list. where is st joes? fear the hawk.

Wow, looks like some healthy competition.

In the “why not” list"

[b]Louisville? No Larry O'Bannon. No Francisco Garcia. No Ellis Myles. No chance.[/b]

Ouch!!!

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 12:38 PM [b] In the "why not" list"
[b]Louisville? No Larry O'Bannon. No Francisco Garcia. No Ellis Myles. No chance.[/b]

Ouch!!! [/b]

X, when I read that, found it a little harsh. As long as Pitino is running the show in Louisville, I’m not going to discount the Cards.

[i]Originally posted by run49er+Apr 19 2005, 01:51 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Apr 19 2005, 01:51 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 02:31 PM [b] Louisville will end up in the top 16. They still have Dean, Placidos and one of the top 3 recruiting classes in the counrty. They will be fine. [/b]
Not to mention Brian Johnson, who took a medical redshirt this past season, and Kansas transfer David Padgett, who also sat out per NCAA rules. Sometimes you actually need to do your homework, FOXSports! :P

this is trash…Villanova #3, if they didnt beat kansas nobody would have jumped on the band wagon. The big East was slightly better than decent “at best”. Oklahoma #4, without lavender and mackensie? No. #5 Texas, did they make the tournament this past year? #8 Gonzaga, please get your heads out of your ass Turiaf gone, can’t wait for the next big star that dominates UC Santa Barbara. finally Iowa and UCLA, no and no. Im not going to be like some and say “cry cry, where are the niners” were not close to this list but neither is GWU and half the teams on this list. pure trash.

unc-chapel hill does NOT belong at Number 10. Apparently someone does not realize they are losing most of their players.

I heard UNC might have to play cheerleaders next year. LOL.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 10:52 PM [b] I heard UNC might have to play cheerleaders next year. LOL. [/b]
Don't you mean unc-chapel hill?

Speaking of which… where is gamer? I don’t think he’s been on this board since all those players from unc-chapel hill announced they were leaving.

B)

[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 07:28 PM [b] this is trash....Villanova #3, if they didnt beat kansas nobody would have jumped on the band wagon. The big East was slightly better than decent "at best". Oklahoma #4, without lavender and mackensie? No. #5 Texas, did they make the tournament this past year? #8 Gonzaga, please get your heads out of your ass Turiaf gone, can't wait for the next big star that dominates UC Santa Barbara. finally Iowa and UCLA, no and no. Im not going to be like some and say "cry cry, where are the niners" were not close to this list but neither is GWU and half the teams on this list. pure trash. [/b]
Gotta say that i strongly disagree with much of this.

First, 'Nova was a terrible ref call away from, IMO, going to the Final Four. They bring EVERYONE back. Everyone. I was very impressed with them last year and believe they’ll only get better as Kyle Lowery matures and learns to hold his temper.

OK - that ranking is based on Bookout & Gray. Lavender hasn’t left yet. Until he does, it may be a little infalted, but they are legitimately in the conversation.

Texas - almost made the tourney WITHOUT LaMarcus Aldridge & PJ Tucker. If they get both back to play with Daniel Gibson and any kind of receruiting class, they’ll be really good. Never underestimate the impact of a good PG.

Zaga - ok we agree. all hype.

GW - too high? Maybe, but i doubt it. I forget who they lose. If they keep Pops and the other declarees and add Khounjia (did I even come close with that spelling?) they’ll be good. They’re getting flavor of the month treatment, but they aren’t without merit.

I only saw UCLA play once. They looked young.

With the way we ended the season, did you really expect to be included in these conversations? If we had ended on a high, maybe we would have slid in at #15 or so. IMO we still need to demonstrate that we can play half court basketball before anyone takes us seriously. That involves, among other things, getting Baldwin’s best game and some real production from the 5, along with being able to win half court games.

NA, George Washington lost their starting PG - senior T.J. Thompson - and little-used senior F Rock Battistoni. In addition, sophomore G Ricky Lucas announced recently he was transferring. The Colonials also lost associate head coach Steve Pikiell, who took the HC position at Stony Brook.

Now, if Mike Hall and Pops Mensah-Bonsu pull out of the draft and return for their senior seasons, then GW is going to be favored to repeat as A-10 champs. With the addition of LSU transfer Regis Koundjia on the wing, the Colonials are going to be tough.