Future Football Schedules

[quote=“upperdeck, post:279, topic:28863”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:278, topic:28863”]We are so fortunate to be located in this TV market. If it wasn’t for that we’d be playing Big South football now and still be in the A-10 in everything else.

That being said, I hate future scheduling being based on TV markets. Are we really scheduling Georgia State over ECU and App because of TV market? GSU has less of a share of the Atlanta TV market than we do the Charlotte market. No wonder there is declining attendance in college football. Everyone is focused on the TV dollars and not the paying customers.

No one outside of University City and GSU’s campus cares about watching Charlotte-GSU on TV.

Now put Charlotte vs ECU or App State and you will see sold out stadiums and much higher TV ratings. There is very little appealing about playing a school that thinks Friday afternoon kick-offs is a good idea.[/quote]

Always nice to play a game in your recruiting areas though…[/quote]

This is why CUSA added FAU and FIU, pretty much the only reason.

We have been pursuing a H&H with ECU, but from what I gather one of the big hold-ups is our stadium size. We have the H&H with App, but I’m not sure if it’s us not wanting to make a team from a lesser conference our yearly game (our view) or them not wanting to elevate a new program to the level of a program with a great tradition (their view) that is stopping the series from getting extended like Georgia State. Personally I’d love to play them every year, and think it would benefit both programs. Our OOC openings are starting to get slim though, so I don’t know if this will happen long term.

I have no problem having an extended series with Georgia State. They are a regional team in a ripe recruiting area, and it is an easy drive. I would rather play them, than for example EMU or someone comparable.

The likelihood of getting an extended series with App or ECU is remote. Neither them want to tie themselves to a program that as of right now is a drag on their rankings, especially ECU. There’s only 4 OOC games a year and you have to be strategic with who you schedule if you are a somewhat competitive program. Even if you schedule well you can still get bit like Marshall did when a P5 program backed out on them last minute.

I wouldn’t concede that we would be a drag on App’s rankings at all, especially post 2019 when we are firmly established. It is very easy to argue that our program is better positioned than theirs going forward. We have a beautiful on-campus stadium that will probably have been expanded by that point. We are in a more prestigious conference with a better TV deal than theirs. You won’t have to stream our games, and we won’t be forced to play on Wednesday night like the Sun Belt. I almost forgot to mention, we even have an OTA local TV deal for our home games that aren’t picked up by the CUSA contract.

They have a rich tradition in their favor, but that is one of the things that makes playing them intriguing. They are not going to be able to find a yearly opponent as attractive as us, and vice versa at this point in our programs. There will be better single games, but for an ongoing game series we’d be great for each other. If they aren’t wanting to do it, we’ll be fine as well. We are already playing Southern Miss and Marshall at home next year, and have Duke on the horizon. That’s not too shabby :slight_smile:

[quote=“chidave, post:284, topic:28863”]I wouldn’t concede that we would be a drag on App’s rankings at all, especially post 2019 when we are firmly established. It is very easy to argue that our program is better positioned than theirs going forward. We have a beautiful on-campus stadium that will probably have been expanded by that point. We are in a more prestigious conference with a better TV deal than theirs. You won’t have to stream our games, and we won’t be forced to play on Wednesday night like the Sun Belt.

They have a rich tradition in their favor, but that is one of the things that makes playing them intriguing. They are not going to be able to find a yearly opponent as attractive as us, and vice versa at this point in our programs. There will be better single games, but for an ongoing game series we’d be great for each other. If they aren’t wanting to do it, we’ll be fine as well. We are already playing Southern Miss and Marshall at home next year, and have Duke on the horizon. That’s not too shabby :)[/quote]App will be fine IMO. I think they and Georgia Southern are going to do very well in the SBC.

As long as ASN pans out long term, our TV exposure looks to be much better than the Sun Belt Conference’s, but it is new. We have no idea if it’ll fold or not.

For the short term though, the bowl deals CUSA has and the TV exposure are far better than the SBC, plus we’ve had ranked teams. Marshall was ranked last year and La Tech and WKU stand a decent chance of being ranked this year if they live up to expectations. The SBC has still never had a ranked team.

Sinclair wont fold, but they could kill ASN.

That’s why I wanna see real ads on ASN broadcasts. No more Ad Council.

That’s why I said ASN may fold and not Sinclair may fold.

With about 1.5 billion in revenue last year, Sinclair can probably afford to play the long game with ASN. Throwing a few million a year at ASN to grow it is pennies to them.

Scheduling Georgia State for that long is as big of a mistake as not having lights the first 2 years. As much as I dislike App, having an annual game with them is the way to go until ECU or NC State will schedule us on a regular.

Plus Boone is in 4 TV markets, crazy exposure for our program :stuck_out_tongue:

Georgia state has an enrollment of 32k. They will very likely soon absorb Georgia Perimeter College (Enrollment: 26k).

I’m okay with H/H with FBS schools of 48k enrollment in fertile recruiting ground that is a day trip for 90% of our fanbase.

FTFY

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:288, topic:28863”]Scheduling Georgia State for that long is as big of a mistake as not having lights the first 2 years. As much as I dislike App, having an annual game with them is the way to go until ECU or NC State will schedule us on a regular.

Plus Boone is in 4 TV markets, crazy exposure for our program :p[/quote]

I would like to see ASU and ECU, their TV markets don’t hit what CUSA wants. It’s good that Chatlotte has a good market. It will help us with future realignment.

[quote=“ninerID, post:289, topic:28863”]Georgia state has an enrollment of 32k. They will very likely soon absorb Georgia Perimeter College (Enrollment: 26k).

I’m okay with H/H with FBS schools of 48k enrollment in fertile recruiting ground that is a day trip for 90% of our fanbase.[/quote]I don’t hate it but I’d much rather have a long term series with app. Mountains in the fall are amazing and the gsme would generate tons of interest in the western half of the state.

Hopefully we csn work something out before both schools fill up their schedules for the next 10 years

That merger will make GSU the largest school in the University System of Georgia by far, surpassing UGA (35K) and Kennesaw State (32K+). The January 6th announcement listed the GSU-GPC combined enrollment at just under 54K.

09/02 - at Eastern Michigan
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

Any chance you guys will consider moving the A&T game to a larger venue such as Memorial Stadium? We’d easily bring 12,000 - 15,000 fans.

[quote=“Aggiedecks, post:294, topic:28863”]2017
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

Any chance you guys will consider moving the A&T game to a larger venue such as Memorial Stadium? We’d easily bring 12,000 - 15,000 fans.[/quote]

Nope. We built JRS to play there. Stadium expansion might have begun by then though. We’d probably play at Bank of America Stadium before going to Memorial.

I don’t think we’ll move it off campus, but there’s a decent chance that we’ll have some sort of expansion by then.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:295, topic:28863”][quote=“Aggiedecks, post:294, topic:28863”]2017
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

Any chance you guys will consider moving the A&T game to a larger venue such as Memorial Stadium? We’d easily bring 12,000 - 15,000 fans.[/quote]

Nope. We built JRS to play there. Stadium expansion might have begun by then though. We’d probably play at Bank of America Stadium before going to Memorial.[/quote]
Memorial Stadium might be torn down and rebuilt as a 9,000 seat soccer field by then, so fewer seats than JRS.

[quote=“emf, post:297, topic:28863”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:295, topic:28863”][quote=“Aggiedecks, post:294, topic:28863”]2017
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

Nope. We built JRS to play there. Stadium expansion might have begun by then though. We’d probably play at Bank of America Stadium before going to Memorial.[/quote]
Memorial Stadium might be torn down and rebuilt as a 9,000 seat soccer field by then, so fewer seats than JRS.
http://carolinablitz.com/2015/06/27/city-of-charlotte-considering-memorial-stadium-renovation-to-house-mls-team/[/quote]

I say BS on any a&t claim they would bring 12-15,000 fans to a game with us any where. Really? What do they draw at their OWN place?

[quote=“49er1, post:298, topic:28863”][quote=“emf, post:297, topic:28863”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:295, topic:28863”][quote=“Aggiedecks, post:294, topic:28863”]2017
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

http://carolinablitz.com/2015/06/27/city-of-charlotte-considering-memorial-stadium-renovation-to-house-mls-team/[/quote]

I say BS on any a&t claim they would bring 12-15,000 fans to a game with us any where. Really? What do they draw at their OWN place?[/quote]

14,524 - http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2014.pdf

I’m sure they will bring a great though. A lot of A&T alumni in the area.

[quote=“Aggiedecks, post:294, topic:28863”]2017
09/09 - Georgia State
09/16 - NC A&T
09/23 - at Kansas State
8 C-USA Games

Come on Aggie. You only averaged 14500 at Aggie stadium last season and that includes a homecoming sellout. Y’all didn’t travel to Elon last year. Why do you think you’d bring 15000 to Charlotte?