Game 1 observations

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;267583]Did anyone notice how Phil listens to Lutz during the game? When Lutz pulls him over, he automatically bends down and listens. Then he goes out and works like crazy staring at his feet to set his feet and get his position (almost like he is following teachings given to him on the sideline). I donā€™t know what this skullduggery is Jones is trying to pull, but apparently he didnā€™t watch enough Iti highlights.[/QUOTE]

:lmao:

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;267583]One thing I worried about, he looked afraid to charge into someone. He would shoot hooks instead of just hurting his defender. He had no fouls, maybe he could have used a couple to see how much he is allowed to bump during games. Learn how much force he can exert when we start playing with these A-10 refs.[/QUOTE]

I think thatā€™s a function of the frontcourt depth issue that I keep whining about.

With Gaby not playing, you either risk losing Phil to foul trouble or (worse) indirectly encourage him to not play at full-hilt.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;267585]I had my head in my hands through that whole ordeal. 226 is close to the High Point side and I definitely avoided eye contact with their fans during that skit due to how embarrassed i was.[/QUOTE]

Was anyone in section 216, next to the Arizona Reid fan club? Why they were anoying, they would start running in the isles hooping and hollowring everytime he mad a shotā€¦ :blink:

I was in 216 for the second half of the game, but I honestly didnā€™t even notice them over there. Man I talked some junk to HPU fans after the game :slight_smile:

100% AGREE ON THE VIDEO INTRO.

Not too happy with Norm coming out with a power drill listening device after we make a run and the crowd is hype. Just let the music play and the crowd stay up.

the POWER DRILL thing was so freaking incredibly GAYā€¦I was mortified with my neighbor that I brought to the game. Never do that again.

the video that starts the 2nd half is sickening good. Use it at the beginning of the game. My man Charles Hayward is in there. :weep:

and most importantlyā€¦HOORAY FOR THE GOLDSHLOGGERS FOR FINALLY WEARING THEIR HAIR DOWN!! :biggrin:

thank you band director for no ā€œCALL ME ALā€ :clap:

and one more item, shoot some T Shirts to the ā€œFamily Zoneā€ the kids were totally bummed.

TRUE STORY. He was horrible!@(Bill Walton voice)

I do too: ā€œCoach, why did we get away from having our Fā€™s drive (& dish) the ball on iso plays and posting Jones up late in the game? That was our most successful halfcourt offense in the first half. And, if Jones cant catch bounce passes, why donā€™t we lob the ball in to him, especially against a small team like HPU?ā€

I think weā€™d do a better job of a post entry pass if weā€™d stop trying to enter from the top of the key. That is the worst and hardest position to do it from. You enter from the wing and a bounce pass is the best possibly way b/c it is quick and allows for a faster strike, if you lob it in the posted offensive player may have to leave his feet thus losing his position, also a lob allows more time for help defense to react. I saw 2 or 3 times where we did a post entry from the top of the key, horrible. Phil should be able to handle it but he may not know what side the help D is going to come from thus hindering his decision making.

Was anyone in section 216, next to the Arizona Reid fan club? Why they were anoying, they would start running in the isles hooping and hollowring everytime he mad a shot... :blink:

Yea that **** was annoying. The guy in the red and blue checkered jacket, standing up calling him his boy everytime.

I havenā€™t read any of the other posts, but my observations are:

Bad:

• A few of the guys seem to lack in good or consistently good hands. I saw a lot of passes bouncing out of the recipientsā€™ hands and off of chests. The game is blurring in my head a little after last night, but I believe Charlie Coley had the worst hands of players who played a lot.

• Iā€™m still seeing stupid plays from last year but not nearly as much. We would get cold and then people would just take dumb shots. Thatā€™s not the way to stoke the fire, boys. It can work, but in my opinion it is better just to get a few solid 2s and keep yourself from collapsing.

• This really upset me. I remember on quite a few occasions players would take ill advised off balance shots. I saw Ian jump like 2 feet sideways, land, and then jump up and shoot. Didnā€™t even hit the rim. Lee did it too once at least. Dewherst made quite a few as well. They werenā€™t the only ones. Nothing upsets me more than people taking stupid shots.

Good:

• We can rebound like crazy.

• We can steal like crazy. Especially Wilderness if I remember correctly. I need to check the boxscore on thatā€¦

• We can block pretty well.

• Transition offense is pretty good.

• Lamont Mack is the sick nastyness. This kid is for real.

Neutral:

• We must be saving The Goonj as a secret weapon for when we are in times of hardship.

Great startā€¦not perfect,but so much better to watch than last year(we played defense,hustled).Seeing all the new guys play reminded me of how crappy last years class was,Ian ainā€™t Plavichā€¦Dewhurst is ok,but strictly as a bench role player.I loved Wilderness,Coley Mack and even Harrisā€¦he really did help hold it together with Lee out,and I donā€™t think he was intimidatedā€¦I like that.Phil had his moments,but does need to soften his hands,I think heā€™ll be fine as season goes on.Actually,the only guy iā€™m not too thrilled with was Bobby.That zone was a freakin jokeā€¦it was like he was saying"hey,weā€™ll let yā€™all back in the game.He needs to not try to be so cute and overcoach.Team should improve as year goes on,and look to be 10 times more fun than last years team.Bravo guys.

You know what else I just noticed after looking at the box score? Leemire had a bad night shooting. This actually feels like good news to me because we still did quite well so if Lee has anymore off nights, we will still have a strong chance of winning. And just imagine if Lee had been on.

Also, I forgot to say that our FT shooting is terrible, but Iā€™m sure we all knew that.

[QUOTE=metro;267682]ā€¦HOORAY FOR THE GOLDSHLOGGERS FOR FINALLY WEARING THEIR HAIR DOWN!![/QUOTE]

AMEN! to that.

[QUOTE=49or bust;267739]You know what else I just noticed after looking at the box score? Leemire had a bad night shooting. This actually feels like good news to me because we still did quite well so if Lee has anymore off nights, we will still have a strong chance of winning. And just imagine if Lee had been on.

Also, I forgot to say that our FT shooting is terrible, but Iā€™m sure we all knew that.[/QUOTE]

More than that. He sat out pretty much the entire first half. I donā€™t think he had any points at halftime.

Anyone else notice Bobby had a green jacket on?

When he came over to the student section at the end, he was motioning that he had it on, and that it was the green jacket.

Maybe a throwback to last year, when that kid handed him a green jacket?

Anyone else notice Bobby had a green jacket on?

When he came over to the student section at the end, he was motioning that he had it on, and that it was the green jacket.

Maybe a throwback to last year, when that kid handed him a green jacket?

I noticed the green jacket and loved it. I think it had alot of symbolism.

whoever manages Normā€™s skits:
personally- I was sort of offended at the power drill ā€œmind readerā€ when he pointed at the alumni side and he heard ā€œcrickets churping.ā€ That was total BS. Donā€™t agitate what alums are coming to the games and supporting the program. As many things that have been mishandled over the years, its amazing we the amount we do show up. The ones showing up right NOW are pretty hardcore.

Anyone that didnā€™t like the intro-video is not all in.

The funniest happening of the night was when Norm fell down the stairs headfirst behind the Niner bench, then couldnā€™t get back up without assistance. That damn head must be heavy. By the way, I hope Norm wasnā€™t injured.

I thought the crowd was decent, maybe 7000. Keep winning and they shall come.

If we would just hit 75% of our FTs we will KILL people, dammit!! I am SICK of how poorly we shoot the FT. Itā€™s driving me crazy!!! What is the problem?!?!?! Eight year olds can shoot the FT better than we do. DAMMIT!!

Anyone that didn't like the intro-video is not all in.

i hope that is sarcasm

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;267710]I think weā€™d do a better job of a post entry pass if weā€™d stop trying to enter from the top of the key. That is the worst and hardest position to do it from. You enter from the wing and a bounce pass is the best possibly way b/c it is quick and allows for a faster strike, if you lob it in the posted offensive player may have to leave his feet thus losing his position, also a lob allows more time for help defense to react. I saw 2 or 3 times where we did a post entry from the top of the key, horrible. Phil should be able to handle it but he may not know what side the help D is going to come from thus hindering his decision making.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, and said as much to the poor bastards who sit around me and listen to me run my mouth during games. I think we make it harder than necessary for our big men. Also, it helps when they turn the right way. That one time Phil turned away from the basket on the baseline, with a 6ā€™5 guy on himā€¦ Ugh. Bobby joked about it, but I betcha it gets special mention in practice.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;267804]Anyone else notice Bobby had a green jacket on?

Maybe a throwback to last year, when that kid handed him a green jacket?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=metro;267836]I noticed the green jacket and loved it. I think it had alot of symbolism.[/QUOTE]

Did you guys stick around for about 60 secs after the buzzer? Bobby ran back onto the floor and addressed the crowd. I couldnā€™t understand some of it (PA system), but I clearly heard him say ā€œhow do ya like my jacket?ā€. The guy is trying to reconnect with our fans, and I appreciate it.

We donā€™t know the name of our opponents

ā€œArizona Reid scored a game-high 26 points and pulled down 11 rebounds for the Piratesā€

i donā€™t think it was mentioned, but how awful was the pregame warmup with the high point players? Diving on the floor? give me a break

Also, if some thug wants to come jump on our logo from App, there better be a technical called, or a cheap shot thrown.