Game Thoughts

Everybody will be able to see Lutz’s coaching inadequacies this season because he doesnt know how to coach without a three point guy.

[QUOTE=Max Power;137589]I could have sworn I heard him say “Leemire Goldwater” too… Bring HIH back![/QUOTE]

He doesn’t have a bad voice at all, but he’s gotta get the names right.

I will give him kudos for not bothering with Pfeiffer’s ridiculous substitutions… “Pfeiffer makes wholesale subs”… Nice.

Do you really think he was saying the wrong names, cmon guys. That guy has been around the program for a while. We all know the PA system is crappy, so I will place the blame on that. I agree about the Pfeiffer subs, it was like being at a hockey game with all those line changes.

Everyone in my row said that DA gave him a second look at least once for blowing his name.

[QUOTE=the daxified one;137523]we came up with a chant for last years davidson game. A ROPE A TREE Lets HANG THREE REFEREES[/QUOTE]

That chant will go over great with black referees… That would definetely get us on Sportcenter and probably do wonders for recruiting…

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;137581]ATROCIOUS…is how Lutz described it in his postgame comments. First half was terrrible and we improved slightly in the second.

Postgame press conf audio: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegebroadcast/teams/nad

(Is there a http: feature here)

I liked Jamison and saw potential in Coleman and Williams. 1-14 from three is a problem. I think Bennett will cure some of that. I’d prefer no head bands and jerseys that fit. Sloppy look and sloppy play. Yeah, I’m getting old. (Where are emoticons?)[/QUOTE]

Lefty, since you opened the door, I guess I am getting old also. The guys looked terrible coming out for warm-ups. Some wore long pants-some did not, some wore the big green shirts-some did not, Shirts were hanging out to their knees. Looked sloppy, Played sloppy. Say whatever you want about the younger generation dress code Blah, Blah, Blah, It is not working for the NBA and it certainly is not going to work for College.

[QUOTE=the daxified one;137511]for future reference…the B*$$ $$#$ chant was extremely untasteful. You should have seen the look on some of the alumni’s faces. I’m glad i can’t curse at games.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, as well as the “You Suck” chants…they are Pfeifer…even they know they suck! Why did we have to lower ourselves to remind them of that. They are a DII team & it’s a practice game- not saying I want the crowd to be quiet or even polite- but maybe a little more creative & tasteful. There was just no need to Rip the Pfeiffer coaches & players the way some of the students were. I sat in the Alumni section too… the students looked like a bunch of savages at times…ACT LIKE WE’VE BEEN THERE BEFORE!!! if anyone sucked last night it was US! We beat a DII school by only 17 points…& we struggled ALL GAME LONG! We have very little to be proud of at this point- TONS of work to do & improvements to be made.

I really felt embarassed when we ripped Pfeiffer. I’m not better than anyone else- I probably would have done it as a student, and I know back in the day that we used all the ref taunts we’ve discussed here (I almost got tossed once as a student for screaming “the ref beats his wife”.) That’s not my point. I love the enthusiasm from our student section. It rocks.

But when we’re playing another team, especially a team like Pfeiffer, let’s start acting like we’ve been there before. Subtlety is a lost art form in sports. Everything’s about getting in someone’s face and showing them up. But what about doing what they don’t expect? When the Pfeiffer kid fouled out - how about clapping for him? Seriously. Give him a damn standing O. I guaranty he’ll look at you in shock - you’ll get much more of a reaction than you would have from screaming that he sucks or whatever.

Remember when the Cardinals came back and beat us in OT in Louisville? The fans absolutely tore into Lutz on his way off the floor. What did he do? Gave them a thumbs up. The Card fans talked about that for years after it happened. Let’s be the team who’s fans do that. We’ll stand out in everyone’s minds.

I’m not a prude either - I’m all for giving the ref some grief when he’s screwing us - but I’d much rather hear a clever, less expletive laden criticism than the tired old “bull####################” chant. For the student section - anything you guys come up with and all do together is gonna look and sound great. It doesn’t have to be nasty to be effective. Trust me when I say the Alumni can hear you loud and clear even in the cheap seats, so that ref most certainly can.

My $.02

Bull#################### is lame, sure, but the You Suck is the worst.

The fans that chant it look sooooo lame, especially considering games like Rutgers when fans did it and they went on a 12 or 15 point run and then they did it while we were LOSING to Rutgers.

I believe it was also done to Alabama.

Wow, we sure do have some rocket scientists in our fanbase.

The You Suck chant really only gathered steam last season, and I hated it every time someone did it. But when we’re playing a team like Pfiffer, come on, that’s too much. Especially considering they should have been chanting it at our bench, not theirs.

Just a couple of comments…

I also thought that attendance was pretty good last night (for this type of game).

Can some body PLEASE tell me why the Alumni section is stuck in the corners. This is really pissing me off. I’m not asking for lower level half court seats but come on!!! Will this EVER CHANGE?

Somebody please tell Curt that the headband over the eyes thing is “so last year”!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERY THING GOOD…somebody please come up with a new chant than 40…9ers…I cant take that one any more.

Other than that…don’t read into last night to much.

They had a niner nation chant going last night.

I would rather curt wear the head band low and play like he did last night then not wear it at all and play like he did last year at the start.

I think Niner Nation would work better as a call and response chant, like maybe “This is…” “NINER NATION”

We also need something we can cheer all game. C-A-R-D-S. Whooooooooaaa … UC. Gatorbait/It’s Great To Be A FLORIDA GATOR. Seminoles whoa chant.

I can’t think of anything yet, but I would like the “This is…NINER NATION” chant to go out everytime we’re winning at the end of the game. Sort of like a twist on the We Are Charlotte chant.

Yeah we definitely need something really annoying and signature that can be lead by the pep band… or at least a good drum beat.

The UC “Oooooooooooooo” is a great example. I hate it. You can’t get it out of your mind once you hear it. Their fans even do that on the street after the game. At the CUSA tournament a few years ago I even think that damn chant was staying in my hotel room.

They also do something stadium-wide where they spell Bearcats I think. Whatever it is, that’s not the one to immitate. It’s not quality.

N-I-N-E-R-S would just be a rip off of CARDS anyway.

NLP do you have any suggestions. i’m loud enough to start something. I think what ever the chant we do we should do the N-I-N-E-R-S NINERS arm jesture in it too.

if anyone wants to have some input into coming up with a new cheer i strongly recommend you coming and sit in the pep band practice tuesday and we might be able to brain storm some ideas

Does anyone have any input on why the alumni seats are so terrible? I hate to keep harping on this but It just really bothers me. Have we always been banished to the bowels of Halton?

it also really depends on how much money you donate to the school. The more you donate to the athletic department the better your seats are.

How about have “trumpet boy” (is he in the fold now?) play “Three Blind Mice” if the refs are hosing us. It can be percieved one of two ways. A. The refs are blind.
B. They are three stooges (same tune if you think about it).

Bring a trumpet cup mute and you can really make it sound like the Stooges theme “Whah, whah, whah…whah, whah, whah…etc”

i can tell dan about it. I’m sure he won’t mind but we are only allowed to play during timeouts. The university, A10 and NCAA have rules against pep bands playing during actual game.

meinshaft were you in massachusetts for the nc state game?

[QUOTE=casstommy;137644]Does anyone have any input on why the alumni seats are so terrible? I hate to keep harping on this but It just really bothers me. Have we always been banished to the bowels of Halton?[/QUOTE]

I’m in Alumni 216, third row and seats are great. Can’t beat the price. I could move to center but we have a great group over there.

Btw, you can sit anywhere you want. It’s called Priority I and Priority II, dependant upon 49er club rank.

Lefty, We made the move near you this year. Should be fun.