Game Thread

[QUOTE=Wildcat92;142244]a bum shoulder?

Then he shouldnā€™t be freaking playing. If it is well enough to play on the court, itā€™s well enough to shoot foul shots.

I call bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t know what his avg is this year. But Mitch was our BEST free throw shooter last year.

Why pull your BEST free throw shooterā€¦a Seniorā€¦in that situation?

Unless he was legitimately hurt.

He has separated that shoulder 3 times in 2 yrs (and had surgery to repair it in each of the last 2 off seasons).

Does anyone else think that DeAngelo needs to pass first -shoot second.

I think he is taking way to many shots out of the offensive flow.

He did hustle and make some big plays at the end.

When you are shooting air-balls - you need to reel it in a little until you find your shot.

baldwin is probably our best free throw shooter so whats up

[QUOTE=KTown49er;142255]I donā€™t know what his avg is this year. But Mitch was our BEST free throw shooter last year.

Why pull your BEST free throw shooterā€¦a Seniorā€¦in that situation?

Unless he was legitimately hurt.

He has separated that shoulder 3 times in 2 yrs (and had surgery to repair it in each of the last 2 off seasons).[/QUOTE]

Well he only had one surgery and it was last off season but good point none the less.

He had banged it last week and was actually held out of practice because of it and when he took the hard foul he freaked a little.

No big deal. Lutz would certainly have wanted him at the line. End of story Davidson crybabies.

[QUOTE=Wildcat92;142244]a bum shoulder?[/QUOTE]
Donā€™t follow basketball too much do you?

[QUOTE]2004-05:
Averaged 7.5 points while shooting .468 ā€¦ Led C-USA with 2.8 A-TO ratio in C-USA games (64 assists; 23 TO) ā€¦ 2nd in C-USA in overall games: 2.38 A-TO ratio (107 ast; 45 TO) ā€¦ 4th in C-USA in C-USA games with 64 asts (4.43gm) ā€¦ 7th in C-USA: 107 asts (3.9/gm) ā€¦ .774 FT% (72-of-93) ā€¦ 2nd on team with 36 steals (1.3/gm) ā€¦ [B]suffered three injuries during season but missed just one game: (broke bone in right hand prior to pre season Tour of Toronto (DNP); dislocated left shoulder on 1st day of practice upon return (played in season opener); dislocated shoulder vs. Saint Louis (DNP at Cincy) ā€¦ Returned from dislocated shoulder (suffered vs. SLU) vs. #25/#25 Marquette ā€¦ had postseason surgery to fully repair shoulder[/B] ā€¦ played 30+ minutes in all but two of final 14 games ā€¦ wore a protective harness for first three games following return ā€¦ Double-figure points 10 times (5 times in C-USA play) ā€¦ One 20-pt. gm (career-high 25 in season opener vs. Long Beach: 9-10 FG; 5-6 FT with four rebounds and four steals) ā€¦ Double-figures in first three C-USA games ā€¦ six games in double figures during early season 9-game win streak with 31 asts; 9 TO (3.4 A-TO ratio) ā€¦ 8-8 FT in OT vs. #22/#22 Alabama[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;142179]Points in the paint-DAV 32,CHA 20.
Points off turnovers-DAV 19,CHA 14[/QUOTE]

Niners 85
Wildcats 81

[QUOTE=Wildcat92;142239]Lutz pulled a foul shooter because he was ā€œinjured.ā€ Put in another player who sank the shots, and then put the ā€œinjuredā€ guy back in.

You ought to be ashamed.[/QUOTE]

Why donā€™t you go back and look at last years stats, Baldwin was our BEST FREE TRHOW SHOOTER. Nice try you moron. The reason they pulled him is because heā€™s seperated his shoulder 2x last year and he hurt it again last night. Better safe than sorry.

STD
STD
STD

[QUOTE=forDniner;142221]Agree with your whole post NLP, but this part esp. Winning against a good Davidson team with Withers going 3 - 12 with 11 pts, 5 boards, 1 assist, 7 toā€™s in 37 min??

Baldwin had a bad shooting game but did everything else very well. 10 assists, 1 to, 10 boards, 3-4 from the ft line. He played good, tough D and is getting better at controling the offense.

Lee - WOW. I hope this was his coming out party and not just a blip but WOW. If heā€™s hitting and playing within the offense I have no prob with him shooting that much - just hope he tones it down when he has an off night. His handles are SWEET!! I havenā€™t seen anybody break ankles like that since Colson.

This team had plenty of opportunities to fold but stepped up without their star. That says VOLUMES about this team. I know this is one game, but the early season slump could have been just what this team needed. Defense is better, offense is patient and people are playing within the offense. We still have work to do, but we have made a lot of progress in the past [B]week[/B]

I was the on the edge of my seat all night and had a blast.

GOOD JOB NINERS!!![/QUOTE]

Yep! (to everything)

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;142291]Does anyone else think that DeAngelo needs to pass first -shoot second.[/QUOTE]

No, but I was screaming for him to drive the ball on Winters and get him to foul out. When heā€™s failing to even draw iron on his shots, he needs to attack the basket more.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;142291]Does anyone else think that DeAngelo needs to pass first -shoot second.

I think he is taking way to many shots out of the offensive flow.

He did hustle and make some big plays at the end.

When you are shooting air-balls - you need to reel it in a little until you find your shot.[/QUOTE]

I get the impression that our strategy going into the season was still the 3pt shot, with two weaponsā€¦Leemire and DA primarily. if they shoot good, it opens everything else up for withers, etc. its the only thing that makes the least bit of sense given the green light those two have had, and past historyā€¦it started to work last night.

from Sorensonā€™s column today, re Withers:

Davidson played hardball with him before he even touched the ball and double-teamed him when he did touch it. But he didn't demand the ball. He didn't impose himself. And one of the defenders was from France.

if that doesnā€™t motivate Withers, a put down using franceā€¦nothing will.

[QUOTE=forDniner;142221]
Baldwin had a bad shooting game but did everything else very well. 10 assists, 1 to, 10 boards, 3-4 from the ft line. He played good, tough D and is getting better at controling the offense.
[/QUOTE]

Too bad he had a bad shooting game. If he could have knocked down a couple more shots he would have had a triple double.

[QUOTE=Max Power;142347]Too bad he had a bad shooting game. If he could have knocked down a couple more shots he would have had a triple double.[/QUOTE]

I talked to him briefly last night andmentioned the 10 rebs and 10 assists and all he wanted to talk about was how poorly he shot the ball.

I think those of us that were questioning his heart a little this season got the answer we were looking for last night. because that is as hard as Iā€™ve ever seen Mitch play. Although he shot poorly, he was 3-4 from the line and hit a huge 3 for us late in the game.

He did a great job taking care of the ballā€¦ only 1 TO in 45 minutes. The quick transition jumper he took at the top of the lane (1st OT I think) was the only other mistake I recall him making.

[QUOTE=49erpi;142354]I think those of us that were questioning his heart a little this season got the answer we were looking for last night. because that is as hard as Iā€™ve ever seen Mitch play. Although he shot poorly, he was 3-4 from the line and hit a huge 3 for us late in the game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Lee was really getting after it too. Beyond Leeā€™s shooting, if weā€™d had that kind of effort from those two guys all season, I have a hard time believing weā€™d have 3 Lā€™s. More like 1 or none. They really hustled.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;142370]Agreed.

Lee was really getting after it too. Beyond Leeā€™s shooting, if weā€™d had that kind of effort from those two guys all season, I have a hard time believing weā€™d have 3 Lā€™s. More like 1 or none. They really hustled.[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY.

Entire team showed alot of heart and effort last night.

Very proud.

Again, the only knock is that they have ā€œclickedā€ for 1 game and been horrendous for 5. I want to think that last night was a sign for things to come. But for now, you have to consider the 1 good performance as the EXCEPTION not the rule.

We need to validate the performance with another solid effort against La-La.

And we still have a lot of room for improvement overallā€¦but if we can continue to get better, apparently we do have the talent to have a decent season.

This is My first Post about the team this season because last night was the first game I have seen them play. I will say that I have been very discouraged by our performance so far this year and all the negativity on the board has been tough to read that being said here are my observations from last night:

I had a chat with a poster before the game and stated that Goldwire and EJ need to step up or they need to take a seat on the bench.

Well, Lee certainly stepped up and he was awesome. I was very pleased with is shot selection and I though he did a great job of mixing it up and driving the ball to the basket at times. I thought his defense was very good and he did a great job of helping out on the boards. It was by far the best game I have ever seen him play and seeing him play like that gives me hope. If he can develope some sort of consistancy it will go a long way towards us having a successful season.

DeAngelo- He has one of the most horrendous starts offensively I have ever seen. But he hustles and I was pleased with his defense and very pleased with the way he hits the boards. He REALLY needs to do a better job with shot selection, but as I watched the game I didnā€™t realize he was shooting 5 for 17. I think he must have started out 1 for 10 and finished 4 for 7, I was pleased and surprised by his free throw shooting.

Mitch- I swear we had a PG two years ago named Mitch who was great at putting pressure on the defense by taking the ball to the basket and was awesome in transition, did he graduate or transfer??? I have never seen a player get worse offensively form their senior year in HS to their senior year of college, Mitch it the first. I know he will never be a great or even good shooter, but he can and has to give us more offensively. That being said, 10 assists to 1 turnover is incredible and he did a good job running the offense and putting people in a position to score. He played great defense and did a fantastic job helping on the boards, 10 rebounds is great.

Curt- Was very frustrated by the zone and could not figure out how he could score in it, the problem was when we shot them out of the zone he couldnā€™t figure out how to score again the man to man either. I think Curt is the type of player who need to get off early or he is not going to get off. I donā€™t understand why we didnā€™t isolate Curt and Lee on one side of the floor and let them work a two man game. I must cut down on his turnovers and we must put him in better positions to score. I had a lot of BS call on him and that took him out of the game as well.

Nance- Great game, was a beast on the boards and play very good defense(no one can stop the left handed hook) and he doesnā€™t for his offense. I would like to see him finish alittle stronger around the basket (but he probably deserved to get a couple more fouls called).

Bennet- Loved what I saw, he had several clutch plays down the stretch and does not force his shots. I would love to see him play more and shoot more( Deangelo need to give up some his shot to him)

Coleman- what a beast. Thought he played great and deserves more time. Great around the basket and the charge he drew was key. Gets alot of BS calls against him becasue of his size.

Williams- Looks athletic, didnā€™t show me much.

Brenden Winters- If we have this kid we would be sweet sixteen bound and beyond. He is awesome and is exactly what we are missing. Hopefully Ian Andersen will be a Brenden Winters for us in the future.

Jerrell Jamison played some nice defense on Winters in OT, he also showed a nice ability to drive the ball and dish it off. The one he had in the first half along the baseline to one of our bigmen that got fouled and made the shot, that was nice. Glad to see we one guy on the team who simply wonā€™t take an early jumper no matter how open he is. Everytime he got the ball(even if it was only a few) he would pass or try to drive.

I love Coleman, anyone else see him get right up in the Davidson players face at the scorers table after DA hit a layup and got fouled? It brought us to within 2 points of them and the place was going crazy. Coleman just walks up staring straight into the Davidson playerā€™s eyes clapping his hands, gets about 6 inches from the guyā€™s face still clapping and just staring him right in the eyes, talk about intimidation. He was also the guy trying to get the crowd hyped all night. A sweet offensive touch that we had heard about, but had yet to see this season. An inside player with actual post moves, a different kind of player for Charlotte, at least recentlyā€¦

No one has mentioned much about Lutz. Aside from the technical (which could have turned out to be very costly) I thought he did a pretty good job last night. He made some good substitutions bringing Jamison in for defense on Winters and keeping fresh legs in the game for the overtime periods.

Iā€™m not quite sure of the rule but when a player goes out with an injury when shooting foul shots, doesnā€™t time have to run off the clock before he can come back in?

I donā€™t believe it does. I remember UNC doing it for Ed Cota once in a big game and it was way more dubious than last night.