Games of interest, Thursday, December 28

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;207629]Got this in an e-mail from a guy I know, re: every message board. I think itā€™s true here, too.

I donā€™t visit ā€œthe boardsā€ but 1-2/weekly and then just to be sure the same dead horses are being beaten in the same ā€œeternal flameā€ threads. They always are regardless of team affiliation. Those ā€œeternal flamesā€ are ā€¦ 1- the media are all idiots ā€¦ 2- our AD is an idiot ā€¦ 3- our coach (or their coach) is an idiot ā€¦ 4- their fans are all idiots ā€¦ 5- a billy bluechip thread ā€¦ and 6- ā€œthe bbq threadā€. sometimes I actually open ā€œthe BBQ threadā€.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone send you an e-mail about that stuff? :rolleyes:

Got this in an e-mail from a guy I know, re: every message board. I think it's true here, too.

I donā€™t visit ā€œthe boardsā€ but 1-2/weekly and then just to be sure the same dead horses are being beaten in the same ā€œeternal flameā€ threads. They always are regardless of team affiliation. Those ā€œeternal flamesā€ are ā€¦ 1- the media are all idiots ā€¦ 2- our AD is an idiot ā€¦ 3- our coach (or their coach) is an idiot ā€¦ 4- their fans are all idiots ā€¦ 5- a billy bluechip thread ā€¦ and 6- ā€œthe bbq threadā€. sometimes I actually open ā€œthe BBQ threadā€.

7- an employee of the local newspaper antagonizing posters, threatening them with lawsuits and making an ass of himself in general.

Go Niners:dribble:
Happy New Year Everyone:toast:

persinger too

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather;207548]It is untrue that the Big O put the BC excuses in. I read this article out of state (New York City) and it has the comments about BC playing without their top players, so that was written by the AP reporter or stringer.

In my opinion, contrary to what Mike P wrote, I donā€™t think the Duquesne stuff is all that relevant ā€¦ they won without them. Putting that stuff in would be like saying ā€œhey not only did they pull the upset, but they could be even better.ā€ Iā€™d rather know what contributed to the upset, i.e. BC missing some key players.

Also, the fact that BC was playing without their players was a relatively new development; meanwhile the players that got shot happened a while back and they were not expected to play in this game and (though admittedly Iā€™m not following the situation) they havenā€™t been playing ā€¦ so it wasnā€™t ā€œnewā€.

I think any time a top team gets upset Iā€™d rather know why or how they got upset. It is notable obviously that Duquesne should and could be better, but again I feel thatā€™s ā€œoldā€ news whereas BCā€™s injuries are ā€œnewerā€ I think.

I would expect Duquesneā€™s injuries to get play in an article if they lost to someone on their level or someone they were expected to beat.

I could be wrong, but thatā€™s how I read it. Thatā€™s usually how it is, since you expect the ā€œhigherā€ team to win, you look for reasons they didnā€™t, rather than reasons the other team was ā€œdownā€ to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I didnā€™t say that the Observer put the excuses in, but just wanted to point out that doing so goes beyond the boundaries of Mecklenburg County, the state of North Carolina, etc.

The situtation at Duquesne will be relevant for the entire season. The fact that they beat a highly rated power conference team ā€“ albeit one minus some important pieces for this particular game ā€“ is still nothing short of amazing. Added to that was the fact that their coach, Ron Everhart, missed the BC game after being hospitalized just after Christmas.

You do admit that you have not followed the developments at Duquesne and your ignorance of that shows in your response.

From Jeff Goodman at FOXSports.com:

BC Still Hurting

Dec 30, 2006

Northeastern coach Bill Coen helped build the BC program. Now heā€™s going to have a chance to knock it down.

[b]BC lost in overtime to Duquesne the other night. Sure, the Eagles were without star Jared Dudley as well as fellow frontline players John Oates and Akida McLain.

Thatā€™s no reason to lose to a Dukes team that was not only without most of its talent, but also its coach.[/b]

Now BC will have to face Coen and Northeastern on Sunday without Dudley, Oates and McLain. If the Eagles donā€™t beat Coen & Co., they will have to get double-digit wins in ACC play in order to get into the NCAA tournament.

Dudley will sit out the next two games with a stress fracture in his left foot, Oates is hopeful of returning for the game against Yale and McLain could be out until at least the middle of January.

``We need to try and get healthy," BC coach Al Skinner said. ā€œWe really havenā€™t had a full team all year.ā€

FOXSports.com