Gang Green Responded

Gang Green has responded and stepped up to the challenge that many of you had placed on us at the beginning of the year. There were a few things that upset me about this: the statement that we aren’t for diehard fans and that no one remembers what we do; I would say we are extremely die hard fans seeing how we don’t just support men’s basketball, but every other intercollegiate sport UNCC has to offer (Women’s bball, soccer, volleyball, etc.) and also, ask the players how they view Gang Green and see that people do feel our presence. Granted, there are a few members who could show more enthusiasm, but the majority of Gang Green is as hype as Niner Nation especially at those other events when I glance into the stands and see no Niner Nation representatives. Anyway, this is petty…rather than accusing one group of being too weak, why not come together and strengthen each others’ weaknesses and then, as it was said, the bandwagon would break Halton. This is doable as long as a compromise and teamwork in the stands is met.

[i]Originally posted by UNC_Charlotte_49er[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:08 AM [b] I would say we are extremely die hard fans seeing how we don't just support men's basketball, but every other intercollegiate sport UNCC has to offer (Women's bball, soccer, volleyball, etc.) [/b]
UNC_Charlotte_49er:

I have been perhaps the most outspoken opponet of GG since its inception. I debated the merits, or lack thereof, of GG too many times to count. My reply to your post includes a question and an observation. Do you support the other sports because you are fans, or because you have to go to the other sports to get priority seating in the GG section for men’s basketball games? If you are indeed a diehard fan that goes to all of the sports solely for the purpose of supporting our teams, then I applaud your efforts, but if some members of GG are there only to get better seats at men’s hoops games, then I have a problem with that. I also observed at a women’s soccer game this fall, the five or so GG members in attendance leave at halftime of a scoreless contest. In my book, that is far from diehard.

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:17 AM [b] I have been perhaps the most outspoken opponet of GG since its inception. I debated the merits, or lack thereof, of GG too many times to count. [/b]
Ha ha. As a GG member from several years back, I whole-heartedly agree with this statement Smoothie!

I knew you would! :smiley:

Smoothie, as a GG spirit leader, I can tell you that those of us that go to other events go to support the team. You’d be suprised how much fun you could have at a volleyball game or a soccer match. Offten times, there’s as much intensity at those games as basketball.

And as far as us leaving the soccer game, I don’t recall EVER leaving a soccer game at the half of a scoreless match (And I was at most of them). A lot of nights, we would check in on the volleyball game during halftime and come back for the second. If we did leave, though, there was a definite reason, not just because we were tired or just wanted to leave.

I do attend the other sporting events primarily for the enjoyment of the game, and to back this, I feel, the best school in the nation (coming from one who passed up college football to come to this paradise). Some members did leave at halftime, but always because there was another sporting event. Many volleyball and soccer games were scheduled for the same day and time this year so we like to go give our support to both events.

So Smoothie and C49, what exactly is so bad about GG?

If you have any realistic and positive suggestions, please let SF4Nynah, one of our other spirit leaders know, and I too will take this to the meetings. We only want to work to the betterment of Charlotte 49er athletics and also, a unified environment.

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:21 AM [b] Smoothie, as a GG spirit leader, I can tell you that those of us that go to other events go to support the team. You'd be suprised how much fun you could have at a volleyball game or a soccer match. Offten times, there's as much intensity at those games as basketball.

[/b]

SF and UNC_Charlotte_49er:

Believe me, I know how much fun can be had at any of the sports on campus. During my tenure as a student, I saw way too many home games of all the sports. I remember coming back early from Thanksgiving break to watch the men’s soccer team beat Notre Dame during the NCAA tournament in an absolute downpour that left Transamerica field more like a shallow pond than a soccer field.

If the GGer’s that were at the soccer game left to go to the volleyball match, then I have no problem with that either, and again, applaud your efforts to support all of the sports. When are we going to see the numbers that show up to BB games at some of the other sports?

We are brainstorming for ways to make this happen, so, if you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Smoothie, we’ve tried as much as we can to get members out to the other events. That’s the basis of the points system the frats use also. As far as when, I have no idea. I mean, attendance in general was pretty weak for these events, not just GGers. Really, I think we need to find a way to bolster attendance at these events. I mean, the players seem to really enjoy playing in front of a packed TransAmerica field on those rare occasions it gets packed out.

[i]Originally posted by UNC_Charlotte_49er[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:26 AM [b] If you have any realistic and positive suggestions, please let SF4Nynah, one of our other spirit leaders know, and I too will take this to the meetings. We only want to work to the betterment of Charlotte 49er athletics and also, a unified environment. [/b]
My problem has always been that you have to pay to be a member, and that GG seems to be somewhat isolated because you sit together. The big banner put up at every game screamed to me, "Hey look at us, we are special because we are GG!" Everyone in Halton Arena should be GG, or NN, or whatever we want to call ourselves. I would like to see GG, or Niner Nation, or whoever, hand out T-shirts to the whole student section, or whole arena, for that matter. Halton Arena should be GG, or NN, or whatever we want to call ourselves. I understand that the shirts cost money, and sometimes finding sponsors to kick in that kind of cash is hard, but if you are "die-hard" enough, and want to make it happen, then anything can be done. Perhaps GG could participate in fundraising to come up with the money to help offset the cost of the T-shirts. I worked on campus last year as an advisor to the sports clubs, and I had fundraising opportunities come across my desk all the time.
[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:37 AM [b] My problem has always been that you have to pay to be a member, and that GG seems to be somewhat isolated because you sit together. The big banner put up at every game screamed to me, "Hey look at us, we are special because we are GG!" Everyone in Halton Arena should be GG, or NN, or whatever we want to call ourselves. I would like to see GG, or Niner Nation, or whoever, hand out T-shirts to the whole student section, or whole arena, for that matter. Halton Arena should be GG, or NN, or whatever we want to call ourselves. I understand that the shirts cost money, and sometimes finding sponsors to kick in that kind of cash is hard, but if you are "die-hard" enough, and want to make it happen, then anything can be done. Perhaps GG could participate in fundraising to come up with the money to help offset the cost of the T-shirts. I worked on campus last year as an advisor to the sports clubs, and I had fundraising opportunities come across my desk all the time. [/b]
You know Smoothie, that's not too bad of an idea and I definitely see your point. As far as paying to be a member, that's mainly for the T-shirt and pregame food. It's only $20 for new members and $10 for returning. Those Niner Nation shirts were what, $5? But even with that money, we're still strapped for cash to take road trips and such.

But honestly, only $20 for a T-shirt, an entire year of great athletics, food before the majority of the games, and reserevd seating? Not too bad if you ask me. In my opinion, it’s almost worth the $20 alone to have the reserved seating. Now, would I camp out if I didn’t have reserved? I probably would. Do we get some people who join just so they can get the lower seating for basketball? I’m sure we do. But, the majority of us are pretty active in most athletics.

As far as handing out shirts to the entire student body/lower section/whatever, you’re right about the funding. GG could have went that route, but we decided to have the Charlotte 49ers logo on our back rather than a sponsor’s.

I also see your point about us being isolated. I COMPLETELY agree with the idea of making the whole student body NN/GG or whatever. But, most of your groups like GG do sit together. You have your Cameron Crazies (who take up the entire lower bowl, I know), and they’re “exclusive” in the fact that not everyone can join. You have your UAB GG who is pretty much the same. But yeah, unified would be a GREAT idea.

And oh yeah, with the banner, that’s something we have to have up at games now - it’s in our contract with Picasso’s (who once again, sponsor us and help keep the cost down).

It appears to me that you guys seem to have a good grasp on things, and I have noticed an increase in the number of GGers this year. It seemed as if interest in the group had waned last year, even though the team was very successful. I can remember past GGer’s posting here about having 250 members, a waiting list, etc., etc., and then 30 people would be in the section for say the Saint Louis game in late February. Some of them thought they were better than sliced bread, hence my “Look at us” comment ,and wouldn’t accept any differing opinions or constructive criticism.

Keep up the good work, and I hope you are loud and proud at Davidson on Wednesday.

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 12:24 AM [b] So Smoothie and C49, what exactly is so bad about GG? [/b]
I wasn't agreeing with Smoothie that GG is bad. I was agreeing with Smoothie that he has been their most outspoken critic.

what are y’all talking about everyone knows the pep band has the best fans