Georgia Home Exhibition Game 10-25-19 7:00 Tip

Encouraged. looks like the D is making sense to some . 3’s obviousely not hitting on all eight. overall, things might be looking up.

1 Like

Younger and Martin no PT? Interesting. Injured? We have a log jam at the 3/4 position. Not enough PT to go around.

Carrawell no PT… was interested to see his game.

Shepherd looks to be a solid pg. reminds me of Pierre Henry but maybe more athletic. Too bad only 2 years here. Young looks good for a freshman.

Rossetto reminds me of Andre the Giant. Seems to be a backup big for defense. Didn’t see much on offense. Just wants to bang.

Sat behind the bench tonight, Sanchez is entertaining to watch coach. Very active on the sidelines. If you haven’t and get the opportunity, watch the game from behind the bench where you can hear what he is saying to the players.

Good crowd.

Gold dusters and cheerleaders new uniforms.

Good player intro.

Young is going to be a stud. He impressed me very much.

Cooper Robb is quietly one of our better players. Took some hard hits tonight and played through it.

Bamba impressed me. Doubt he will be a huge force scoring the ball but he played defense pretty well, had some nice passes, blocks, and rebounds.

Shepherd was solid. Probably will be our leading scorer. I don’t think he will score as well as Davis but seemed to take much better care of the ball.

Edwards looked competent but his shots weren’t falling. Hopefully just one of those kinds of nights for him.

Bertram has range but didn’t appear as though he’s be much more than a 3 point shooter for us this year.

Vasic was solid. Injury didn’t seem to have hampered his athleticism. He started and looked deserved of that role.

Supica looked the same as last year. With more talent around him maybe he will be more consistent this year instead of scoring 20 one game and only a few the next.

Williams looked like he belonged on the court but didn’t do much. I suspect we will see some great performances from him this year and many where he is invisible. He’s got great size and frame. Looks like a fourth year college player physically.

Risetto is enormous but he needs to slim down. He will benefit from a year of workouts. He didn’t play a ton so hard to gauge his ability.

Not sure about Younger, but Martin and CSC had minor injuries.

Martin had knee surgery and is recovering well.Hopes to be available for opener against James Madison in two weeks.

When looking at tonight’s PT, when Younger and Martin play I guess that means less minutes for Drew Edwards and Bertram?

10 guys played tonight without minutes for Martin, Younger and Carrawell. We aren’t playing 13 guys. If there is a 9 man rotation, Who is sitting?

Boxscore

My guess now is Martin for now since he’s gonna be rusty from the injury. I hope he doesnt take minutes away from,bertram. I really like his scoring threat. We need shooters so i don’t think he can afford to sit him.

I think Younger not playing was just a coaching decision. There is a quote in the Observer that I think may tell the story.

"Some guys are one way in practice and are different when the lights come on,” Sanchez said. “That’s growth. Their playing time will be based on how they evolve and how they grasp things. But the guys you saw on the floor (Friday) are going to be the guys who will play.”

Game observations from Big O:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article236601668.html

I enjoyed seeing the effort on defense last night and that we have a bench this year. My wife is now excited for the season since it is not the Jon Davis show and we have a full bench. It team gels as the season goes then this could be a nice team by mid year.

I can see a few transfers at year end which will open up spots for grad transfers to fill holes. Younger did not see the floor last night. Williams and freshman pg are going to contribute early for us.

Defense is better with the deeper bench when we can sub in and people can catch a break. Rotation will probably end up around 9 guys

1 Like

Coulda won, but didn’t. Saw a lot of promise in the team. Kinda surprised that Brice looked a little shaky. Confidence will come. His dad was brimming with confidence from day one.

1 Like

Yep. Still remember Henry taking the final shot as a freshman in exhibition vs a Yugoslavian national team in the Mine Shaft. My recollection is that he missed and we lost by a point or two. Fast forward to his senior year and he calmly sank the FTs that won the Metro tourney championship game vs Tulane and punched our ticket to the Big Dance!

1 Like

Brice is gonna be just fine once he gets his confidence. Im excited to see what we can do at full strength. We could be a really goid defensive team by mid season but defensively the biggest thing which worries me is a lack of a shot blocker. Really impressed with our talent and the coaching.

2 Likes

I saw more things that encourged me than I saw disappointing. For a squad that has bascially just met, they looked very good and promising.
The fact that only 2100 people showed up is disgusting.
TV Ted was ridiculous at times, but I left Halton with a good feeling for a change.
Great to see Melvin Watkins and Jeff Mullins on attendance ! Can’t wait for the season to get started! Go Niners!!!

2 Likes

https://bulldawgillustrated.com/sports/uga-basketball-2/mbb-dawgs-win-exhibition-vs-charlotte/

I think 2100 for an exhibition the night before a football game is pretty solid.

Actually thought it was probably 3500 since the lower bowl was nearly fillfull

They reported like 2117