Getting More Butts in the Seats

clt likes the making babies idea.

It is the old chicken and egg story. The reason casual fans go to the annual Cincy game has nothing to do with the Bearcats, Huggins, ranking, rivalry, etc. They attend because they know the atmoshpere is going to be electric. They also know that Charlotte v. Houston games are somewhat boring with the exception of the dunk or something.

I would attend every Charlotte baseball and soccer game if the crowd was similar to an UC - Charlotte game. The crowd makes those games fun not Cincy.

You can put up billboards, print flyers, etc. and nothing will change. We need to make every game exciting and loud and electric. People need to expect an atmoshere like UC and it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The chicken and the egg: We need more people to make it electric, it needs to be electric to bring more people.

The answer for Marquette was Wade, and now when they suck they still get tons of students becuase the game is an event, it is electric.

[i]Originally posted by NinerMac+Feb 10 2005, 09:19 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerMac @ Feb 10 2005, 09:19 AM)
[i]Originally posted by NinerUpNorth[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 11:32 AM [b]It is the old chicken and egg story. The reason casual fans go to the annual Cincy game has nothing to do with the Bearcats, Huggins, ranking, rivalry, etc. They attend because they know the atmoshpere is going to be electric. They also know that Charlotte v. Houston games are somewhat boring with the exception of the dunk or something.

I would attend every Charlotte baseball and soccer game if the crowd was similar to an UC - Charlotte game. The crowd makes those games fun not Cincy.

You can put up billboards, print flyers, etc. and nothing will change. We need to make every game exciting and loud and electric. People need to expect an atmoshere like UC and it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The chicken and the egg: We need more people to make it electric, it needs to be electric to bring more people.

The answer for Marquette was Wade, and now when they suck they still get tons of students becuase the game is an event, it is electric.[/b]

Last night we had some of the louder chants Iā€™ve heard in a while in the 2nd half, yet with only a half full arena, it wasnā€™t very impressive compared to the Cinci game. Point being, how do you make the crowd electric if itā€™s only half full? All of the lower level(even the alumni) were really loud at times last night, we are already doing our best to make the lower levels as electric and loud as possible. The problem is that we need the upper levels to be full so they can join in.

What has happened sooooo many times is that we get on the verge of making it into the Top 25 or play a breakthrough game against a nationally respected team and we lose to the ecu-types or the nationally respected team after a BIG build up of pub and the non-hard core ā€œfanā€ bails out and does not return for subsequent games. I know, Iā€™ve seen it for 30 years. It ainā€™t right but itā€™s a fact. I say try anything anyone here suggests to light the fire, but Iā€™ve seen nothing that works better than WIN BIG, WIN OFTEN. And at this point in our history, unless we start making frequent visits to Miss Sweet 16, the kiss of big time success, national pub and a fan following to match will not happen.
GO NINERS!! BEAT SLU FOR ONCE AT THEIR PLACE!!!

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 11:45 AM [b]What has happened sooooo many times is that we get on the verge of making it into the Top 25 or play a breakthrough game against a nationally respected team and we lose to the ecu-types or the nationally respected team after a BIG build up of pub and the non-hard core "fan" bails out and does not return for subsequent games. I know, I've seen it for 30 years. It ain't right but it's a fact. I say try anything anyone here suggests to light the fire, but I've seen nothing that works better than WIN BIG, WIN OFTEN. And at this point in our history, unless we start making frequent visits to Miss Sweet 16, the kiss of big time success, national pub and a fan following to match will not happen. GO NINERS!! BEAT SLU FOR ONCE AT THEIR PLACE!!![/b]
We can't control what the team does. Winning is the obvious answer to all of our problems. The question is, what can we as students/alumn/fans do to get more people in the seats???? Winning is the easy answer out, win or lose, we are one of the most talented teams in the country(top 30 at least) and people should come see us even if ECU does beat us, even if we lose saturday and next wednesday and the following Saturday.

BTW: I agree with your points, but there has to be something we can do to get people to the games, regardless of the outcome of the previous game.

How about some hot looking nude women???

[b]2) Some sort of local sports store that sells Niner gear and goodies. A place to give us a college town sort of feel in our own part of Charlotte.[/b]

I havent been on campus during the school day in a long timeā€¦ heck only once since Halton has been built. However, seems like the school could open a permanent Niner fan shop at the arenaā€¦seems like they would sell just as much here as they do in the bookstore. It seems like if they had more inventory/selection for niner fans to see at the game they may make more sales. The only question where in that bldg could you put such a thing. That table display seems to get weaker and weaker every season.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 10:23 AM [b] PROMOTE THIS WEBSITE! Its the best source that there is for information and gets pretty addictive after a while. I cant believe that there are only 500 members. [/b]
I agree with this... This website is a great tool for turning casual fans into hardcore fans. It gives people a reason to stay interested in the team between games and an opportunity to interact with other fans. There are a lot of 49er fans out there that get most of their information about our team from the Observer or local news and radio shows... and we all know our coverage there is lacking. Most of those people probably have no idea this message board even exists.

Did anyone make those business cards and put them out at the Cincy game? That was a good idea and we should also make two large NinerNation.Net banners and hang one on each side of the arena for the DePaul game.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124+Feb 10 2005, 10:49 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (CMack124 @ Feb 10 2005, 10:49 AM)

clt noticed the crowd around the stand selling niner stuff was packed yesterday. more niner stuff.

clt thinks that not allowing freshman to have cars is a great idea.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan+Feb 10 2005, 12:04 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LutzFan @ Feb 10 2005, 12:04 PM)
[b]Did anyone make those business cards and put them out at the Cincy game? That was a good idea and we should also make two large NinerNation.Net banners and hang one on each side of the arena for the DePaul game.[/b]

No, didnā€™t have official approval yet for Cincy. I put them out last night and will at the remaining home games. We had about 12 cards taken last nightā€¦

[i]Originally posted by CMack124+Feb 10 2005, 11:11 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (CMack124 @ Feb 10 2005, 11:11 AM)
Originally posted by LutzFan@Feb 10 2005, 12:04 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 12:31 PM [b]Yeah.. I like the flyer idea, but I think people are scared of jinxing us with the battle for first place thing... A lot of us are kind of superstitious. (BTW, we are still undefeated when I wear my baller band. B) ) Wait until Saturday night to make the flier.[/b]
Yea, if a flyer went up it would be Monday, I'm not suggesting make them now, just trying to get feedback to see if people will actually help out.

There, I changed the text (changed), my apologies if I jinxed the game, but I will be sure to watch the game commando like always for good luck, jk, or not. :mellow:

my contribution - iā€™m bringing 5 friends of mine to the depaul game. 1 went to clemson, 1 to state, 1 to app, etcā€¦i played up the battle for 1st place, talked up depaul as a pretty good team (they beat notre dame at notre dame, who just beat BC) and offered a round of beers pre-game (whatever it takes)ā€¦btw, bleedngreen, i was in 204 with my 4 month old (and 3 year old and wife who went to state but now refers to the 49ers as ā€œusā€) so weā€™re getting thereā€¦

One thing not mentioned is word of mouth. Talk about Eddieā€™s dunk and his defense. Talk about Plavichā€™s long range bombs. Talk about how Mitchell is the fastest player in college basketball. Talk about how quality basketball was not born in the ACC nor is it exclusive to the ACC.

As mentioned before, casual fans come out to the Cincy game because it is an event. Hell, to me watching Eddie Basden play every game is an event. Those who missed his dunk last night should be reminded constantly.

Donā€™t whine about attendance - someone may offer you some cheese to go with it. Talk about how quality D1 basketball is being played right ON CAMPUS. Make it sound like every home game is an event, which it is to the hard core fans who post here. The students should show a lot of pride in their team and their arena.

When I was a student, we had to drive from campus to the Independece Arena to watch our team. We would have killed for the beautiful facility that we have now. We would have killed to have the type of program that this has become, a consistent winning program that goes to the post-season regularly. Just ask an old-timer about the Hal Wissel era. The worst basketball coach ever - we lost to freakinā€™ Eckerds College (yes there is such a thing).

Another thing that was mentioned is the lack of 49er gear available. This is such a travesty that should & could be easily fixed. A typical trip to Concord Mills 10 minutes down the road from Campus & you could purchase 1000 Dook or UNC-Chapel Hill shirts & just as many Michigan (who the $#@ buys their stuff around here). You may also find during that same trip 1 or 2 different 49er shirts if youā€™re lucky. I visit our retail kiosk before every home game just praying that they have something new & different, but itā€™s always the same stuff. Sooner or later someone in the administration has to wake up & realize that apparell sales = profits and free advertising. Itā€™s not rocket science.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 10:14 AM [b]
[b]We just need to make more babies. Plain and simple. Get busy men. Spend more time in the bedroom and less time bitchin' about the Observer and who's not at the games. If we can't convert the average fan, we'll make our own. Problem solved. Now on to St Loser.[/b]

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking. Make love, not Tarholes. [/b]

[b]That's what I'm talking. Make love, not Tarholes. [/b]

I just found my new signature!!!

I think if we can get some of the tickets that are going unsold (or not picked up by students), I bet a lot of us could find people to put in seats. I first started going to games because a) I like basketball and B) they were free (my wife was a student). If weā€™re not selling the tickets anyway itā€™s not like weā€™re going to lose anything. Heck, most will probably at least drop some at the concession stand. Anybody have any ideas on how to do that or who to contact?

Also, I work for Wachovia at the complex in the University area. The Bobcats (and the Hornets before them) would send people here to offer ā€œspecialā€ packages to Wachovia employees as well as draw prizes (free tickets), etc. Iā€™d be willing to talk to the ā€œpowers that beā€ here about getting that setup if somebody from Charlotte Athletics wants to do that.

Does anybody have a contact for Signature Sports? I know Real used to post here and worked for Signature Sports. How do I get a hold of him?

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 11:31 AM [b] ... A lot of us are kind of superstitious. (BTW, we are still undefeated when I wear my baller band. B) ) Wait until Saturday night to make the flier. [/b]
We are undeafeated since i QUIT wearing my baller band, last time I wore it we lost to ECU, i swear to never put that thing on again.