Good read from Monday on Plavich

This is another good read from the Carolina Sports weekly. Enjoy…

Note: this circulation starts in Charlotte on Monday Jan. 31 (it’s free)

[SIZE=3]Shoot to kill[/SIZE]

Plavich continues 49ers tradition of marksmen
David Carmichael can be reached at david_carmichael @carolinasportsweekly.com.

The Charlotte 49ers may as well print up a poster every year
that says: Wanted - Three-point marksman not afraid to take big shot from obscene distances at crucial times of the game.

Pictured above the description would be a photo of a smiling Brendan Plavich.

After nailing five 3-pointers and scoring 20 points in a win against Marquette Saturday, Plavich now has 65 long-range bombs in 160 attempts on the season.

His 3-point shooting is a big reason why Charlotte has raced out to a 13-3 overall record (4-1 in Conference USA).

But Plavich isn’t the only current or former 49er who could grace the wanted poster. There’s also his backcourt mate from last season, Demon Brown, who hit the second-most threes in school history with 341 between 2001 and 2004.

Then there’s Diego Guevara who made 235 in his career and whose bobblehead doll will be given out on Feb. 5 when Charlotte hosts Cincinnati. Of course there’s Henry Williams whose 308 3-pointers rank third on Charlotte’s all-time list.

And then there’s Jobey Thomas. Few will argue his impact on the 49ers program. A local talent who stayed home to play for the 49ers, Thomas could always be counted on to take and hit the big shot.

He made 346 3s in his four-year career, a total Plavich won’t come close to because he’s a transfer. But don’t tell that to Plavich, who shoots threes as if he’s trying to break that record in two years.

Currently ranked No. 3 in the nation in 3-pointers made, Plavich is having his best collegiate season as a senior.

His seven 3-pointers in an eightminute stretch earlier in the season against Davidson single-handedly brought the 49ers back in a tough
road game.

When asked about the performance of his deadliest weapon after the game, Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz simply said, “Every time he misses, I’m surprised.”

The stretch in the Davidson game was remarkable, but Plavich’s most unforgettable shot of the season was also his longest.
In a road game against Indiana on Dec. 22, the 49ers found themselves in a seemingly impossible situation.

Charlotte trailed the Hoosiers by two points with 0.7 seconds left on the clock and needed to go the length of the court to score. It seemed improbable the 49ers would even be able to get a shot off.

But shooters like Plavich don’t think like the rest of us.

“I wasn’t sure if I could get off a shot in time, but I was gonna try,” said Plavich. “I just wanted to make sure I got a good look. I didn’t want to just heave something up. I feel like my range is pretty good so I had a chance.”

Curtis Withers inbounded the ball under the Indiana basket and when Plavich came free at mid-court he threw a perfect strike to him.
Plavich caught it cleanly, made a precise turn, and launched a shot with very good form at the basket.

The swish sent the 49ers into a frenzy.

After initially waiving the shot off, the referees conferred at the scorer’s table to check the replay. A couple of minutes later the head official returned to the court and extended both arms, signaling a made 3-pointer.

Game over. Charlotte 74, Indiana 73.
It was the type of shot that players are remembered by and will cement Plavich in that group of all-time great Charlotte shooters.
It was also the type of shot only a 3-point marksman like Plavich would think was actually going to go in.

“In looking back at the replay, you can tell by the way I pulled my hands back,” Plavich said. "I knew it was going once it left my hands.

Looks like Sorenson’s got some competition. Great article!!!

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 09:30 AM [b] Looks like Sorenson's got some competition. Great article!!!!!!! [/b]
Yeah the observer need some competition. Glad you like the article. See you at the game tonight. GO NINERS!

Nice READ! This publication is awesome and from what I understand will be available in Charlotte beginning next week… and for FREE!! Seems like they devote a page to the NINERS every week! SWEET!!!

So where will CSW be available?

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 10:22 AM [b] So where will CSW be available? [/b]
Carolina Sports Weekly will be available beginning Monday, 1/31 at various locations all around Charlotte. It's full-color and FREE. You'll see it at places where you might typically find a Creative Loafing or similar publication.

It will cover all the local teams, such as the Bobcats, Panthers, NASCAR and, yes, ACC Basketball. But the Niners will get a full page every week. Small local colleges such as JCSU, Pfeiffer, etc will be covered on an adjoining page.

Just look for the racks with the only tab-style, full-color, Monday morning sports page all around town.

That is a rag I will DEFINITELY go out to look for!! That will be first for me, too.

GO NINERS!!!

Awsome article. Great read along with Sorenson’s today. Can’t wait to pick up my first copy when it comes out.

[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News+Jan 26 2005, 11:11 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (CSW_Niner_News @ Jan 26 2005, 11:11 AM)

For once, i agree with sorenson

[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 11:11 AM [b] But the Niners will get a full page every week. [/b]
You make good on that and I promise that your paper will gain a lot of fans in the community. Looking forward to picking up a copy and welcome to the board. :)
[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News+Jan 26 2005, 12:11 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (CSW_Niner_News @ Jan 26 2005, 12:11 PM)
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jan 26 2005, 12:48 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jan 26 2005, 12:48 PM)
[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 01:47 PM [b] You have my word JCL, for basketball season anyway. [/b]
What??? No Charlotte 49er football coverage? Man, I'm disappointed now. :P

I now will subscribe to a newspaper!!!

B/C It’s FREE!!!

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 05:17 PM [b] I now will subscribe to a newspaper!!!

B/C It’s FREE!!! [/b]

That’s the beauty of it 49erfan, you don’t even have to subscribe. Just grab one at one of the many racks around town (if you can’t find one, try a Bojangles who should have racks at their stores throughout Charlotte).