Grade the Bobcats draft moves

I give them a solid A. I love the two picks and getting cash for that second round pick was a solid move.

What do you guys think?

They are inept.

Weak draft so they get a little break.

I think it was a good move. It’s about time they realized that they weren’t going anywhere with that core group. Might as well blow it up and start again. Better get it right this time or they’ll be the Las Vegas Bobcats.

Exciting picks. Walker is awesome and this Boyombo character is a freak. Jamie Skeen ought to be the final piece of the puzzle.

Getting 2 guys in the top 9 is great. But in this draft IDK. I was originally a fan of Kemba, so I like that pick. But who knows with Biyombo. If he turns into Ibaka then it will be a great pick. If he turns into Yinka Dare…

They really need things to fall into place next year and be able to land a franchise player in the draft like a Durant, James or Howard. Is there a guy like that out there? IDK. Is Harrison Barnes, Anthony Davis or Jared Sullinger that type of player? IDK

Next year’s draft is loaded, so the Cats should and will have a very high pick next season. I like the Kemba pick, but would of preferred them to take Leonard with pick seven. Leonard has a chance to be a Gerald Wallace type player. Either way, pretty good draft overall.

making way for CP3

BASDEN! Buddy! Where have you been? No joke just last weekend I was sitting around talking about you!

I think Kemba Walker is a great pick. The kid is just a winner.

…really wish the New Orleans franchise would hurry up and move to Seattle.

[quote=“Basden05, post:6, topic:25503”]Next year’s draft is loaded, so the Cats should and will have a very high pick next season. I like the Kemba pick, but would of preferred them to take Leonard with pick seven. Leonard has a chance to be a Gerald Wallace type player. Either way, pretty good draft overall.[/quote]I agree with this. The Biyombo pick is extremely risky. The Walker pick is pretty much the opposite, hard to go wrong with a guy that just led his team to a conference and then national championship in college.

Surprised Leonard went as low as he did, and that Richmond’s Justin Harper didn’t sneak into the first round, though I haven’t been following the draft prep much. Harper is just an unbelievable shooter, but maybe he needs more strength for defense.

Not sure what to think of this. If the Bobcats get Paul, I believe it wouldn’t be until the 2012-13 season. At that point I think/hope they’d be just as well off with Kemba. Paul had his lowest PPG this season. I guess Kemba will have 1 season to prove whether he’ll be the PG of the future or not.

It’s an A if Biyombo works out, if not C+. I think Kemba has a chance to be a really good player in the league. He was a pass first PG coming out of HS and the knock was he needed to work on his scoring, so I doubt passing is lost on him. Even with his size he has the strength to take on defenders, and take contact. Also has a sick crossover.

I don’t get it, Paul’s not coming here. Let someone else overpay for him.

9erken, Harper is a good shooter but nothing much else (in the NBA). The guy is 6’10", 220 lbs. He has 8" and 10 lbs on me.

Bobcat draft picks are without meaning. Any player worth a damn will be in Charlotte only until Michael Jordan finds another team to pay the player what he is worth. I have to hand it to Jordan, though, he did win a championship this past season-- for Dallas.

I don’t really think that’s fair. MJ has not done a very good job as an executive/owner, but I don’t really think you can call him cheap.

When he became part owner in 2006, he was in charge of basketball operations. During that time, he signed Emeke Okafor to a huge deal ($72 million), signed Gerald Wallace to a huge deal ($50+ million), traded for Jason Richardson when he was under contract for $10+ million for multiple years, traded for Stephen Jackson when he was making somewhere around $10 million for multiple years.

These were not great moves, but the point is he was not cheap. The real problem was he spent too much money on the wrong guys, and the team was handcuffed by the salary cap. He’s dumped a ton of salary in the last year or so, but that’s what he needs to do. As much as I like Wallace and Jackson, they are getting past their prime, and this team would never be any more then 7-10th place team with those two as the main pieces. Tyson Chandler trade looks bad in hindsight, but at the time he looked like a player in decline; he missed a big part of the season for two straight years, and averaged 6 points a game with the Bobcats. Also, with that Dallas roster he is able to be a different kind of player (it’s much easier when you are playing with guys like Dirk, Terry, Kid, Marion, and Barea over guys like Borris Diaw, Larry Hughes, and DJ Augustine). I will say they should have re signed Felton for the same deal the Knicks did.

I give Jordan credit because it finally looks like he might be looking toward the long term. He finally hired a real GM, they are finally clearing out the mistakes of the past, and they are going young instead of bringing in a bunch of short-term solutions that kill the team in the long-term. We will have tons of salary cap space in 2 years, we already have some nice young pieces, and we are setting up to have a very nice pick next year in a very loaded draft.

Yeah! And we get our name back! The Hornets name means something to the Charlotte area.

I like the direction they are going, the boarderline 8 seed thing with Wallace and Jackson was never going to amount to anything. It’s hard to get excited about the moves last night, but the draft was crap, if Biyombo ends up being an upper level defender and Walker gives them something, it will end up being a good draft. Hopefully they are in position to land the franchise player they have never had in next year’s draft and these two guys fit nicely alongside him.

Also, hard to blame them for taking $2 mil for Tyler, but the fact that somebody was willing to pay that much shows how much upside he has. He probably would have been a top 10 pick if he had stayed in the US and continued dominating guys his age. That could come back to hurt, since they are in a rebuilding mode there didn’t seem to be much downside to keeping him around and letting him learn.

I don’t follow the NBA much at all, but I thought the book on the Bobcats was they needed a big man and a shooter?

The African guy sounds like a risk, though with good potential (still 6’7, really? Even with a big wingspan, that seems small for a post in the NBA)

Walker is a winner, but he cant shoot. Woulda been nice for Brandon Knight to fall one more spot.

I’m not sure where you are seeing that, because Biyombo is a legit 6’9".

BASDEN! Buddy! Where have you been? No joke just last weekend I was sitting around talking about you![/quote]

Hey Man, I’m still here don’t worry. Still check into the site every day. It’s be a big year for me, moving house, getting a divorce, getting a dog … u name it.
Really looking forward to this up coming season though. I’m ready for Niner basketball to be back on top again :smiley:

Surprised to see Harper not taken in first round as well, but Orlando must have really wanted him to have traded a couple of future picks to Cleveland to make him a Magic man!