Great cause... but could be smelly during the game

[B]Moss Goes Extra Mile For Samaritan’s Feet[/B]
UNCW Sports Information Release: 12/17/2008

WILMINGTON, N.C. – UNC Wilmington men’s basketball coach Benny Moss will be walking the sidelines barefooted on Saturday, Jan. 17, when the Seahawks take on Drexel at Trask Coliseum. But not for just any reason.

Moss has agreed to coach without his usual dress shoes when the Seahawks host the Dragons as part of the Samaritan’s Feet project, an international ministry that solicits children’s shoes.

The idea to join the Samaritan’s Feet cause originated in a UNCW classroom when two students initiated the plan for a Leadership Studies assignment. Junior Sean Luo thought of the idea and passed it along to senior Gary Sproat, who followed through with the concept.

The assignment was only to formulate a business model, but after realizing its potential, Sproat decided to team up with the UNCW Athletic Department to implement it. “I contacted Coach Moss and he was all for it,” said Sproat.

According to officials at Samaritan’s Feet, more than 300 million children walk without shoes daily because they can’t afford them. Moss will do the same to help promote awareness for the Samaritan’s Feet agenda.

“I’m very pleased to participate in this wonderful program,” Moss said. “We often take for granted what we have and this is another way we can share our blessings. I hope everyone will come out and support this event as we provide shoes for those who do not have them.”

Samaritan’s Feet has set a goal of giving 10 million pairs of shoes to 10 million children in 10 years. Seahawks fans are encouraged to help the organization reach its goal by donating children’s shoes of any size at the door and to join Moss by taking off their shoes during the game.

To learn more about Samaritan’s Feet, visit [URL=http://www.SamaritansFeet.org][B][U]www.SamaritansFeet.org[/U].[/B][/URL].

Good stuff. Coach Moss was a good guy, and still is.