GT's Josh Pastner implicated in impermissible benefits to players

I see that Josh Pastner (HC GA Tech, formerly Memphis) has been accused of being involved in an extra benefits situation while at both schools. GT has self-reported both violations and indefinitely suspended both players. He was trained by Calipari, so no surprise here.

Could this be unfortunate timing for Price to have a good year? Would GT be interested in a HC/PG combo deal? I am sure he is going to appreciate the NNN protesters at his games.

Good follow up by Gary Parrish. Accuser Ron Bell comes across as somewhat looney.

CBSSports.com: Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech accused of underplaying violations by jilted friend

I’d say tread lightly around the mens hoops program. I hope none of our fans are dumb enough to make price feel unwelcome.

I’m inclined to agree. Of course for all we know, Mark may be fed up with Judy by now too. Perhaps the disapproval of Judy should be demonstrated at a women’s basketball game.

Agreed !

I’m inclined to agree. Of course for all we know, Mark may be fed up with Judy by now too. Perhaps the disapproval of Judy should be demonstrated at a women’s basketball game.[/quote] Welp, she would be there and so would security so…I don’t know what would happen, but whoever wants to take one for the team, go ahead.

[quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:31167”]I see that Josh Pastner (HC GA Tech, formerly Memphis) has been accused of being involved in an extra benefits situation while at both schools. GT has self-reported both violations and indefinitely suspended both players. He was trained by Calipari, so no surprise here.

Could this be unfortunate timing for Price to have a good year? Would GT be interested in a HC/PG combo deal? I am sure he is going to appreciate the NNN protesters at his games.

Outside of the anti-Judy airplane banner who has been protesting at football games?

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:7, topic:31167”][quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:31167”]I see that Josh Pastner (HC GA Tech, formerly Memphis) has been accused of being involved in an extra benefits situation while at both schools. GT has self-reported both violations and indefinitely suspended both players. He was trained by Calipari, so no surprise here.

Outside of the anti-Judy airplane banner who has been protesting at football games?[/quote]
There is discussion in another thread from yesterday about protesting at basketball games once football season ends. I feel that will be counterproductive.

[quote=“Nugget, post:8, topic:31167”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:7, topic:31167”][quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:31167”]I see that Josh Pastner (HC GA Tech, formerly Memphis) has been accused of being involved in an extra benefits situation while at both schools. GT has self-reported both violations and indefinitely suspended both players. He was trained by Calipari, so no surprise here.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2017/11/07/josh-pastner-georgia-tech-memphis-tigers-extra-benefits-markel-crawford/839231001/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomcollegemensbasketball-topstories%3Fsrc%3Drss[/quote]

Outside of the anti-Judy airplane banner who has been protesting at football games?[/quote]
There is discussion in another thread from yesterday about protesting at basketball games once football season ends. I feel that will be counterproductive.[/quote]

It would be, and patently unfair to Price and the team, not to mention our school as a whole.

After reading Parrish’s piece, plus another by Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo Sports, gotta doubt the $1,275 worth of “gifts” provided by Bell are going to result in a coaching change at GT.

Of course, having players questioned by the Chinese police doesn’t help anything, though it was the UCLA players who were ultimately arrested!

USAToday.com: UCLA basketball players arrested in China while readying for season opener

I think Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo Sports missed the part where the gifts were inappropriate.

I think Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo Sports missed the part where the gifts were inappropriate.
[/quote]

He actually touched on that quite a bit.

[Quote]I As is often the case with tales of college basketball’s sordid underbelly, nobody emerges from this story looking good.

Pastner, long hailed as one of college basketball’s most squeaky clean coaches, now will have his name dragged through the mud. At best he provided a man of questionable character access to his program at Georgia Tech and Memphis. At worst he knowingly orchestrated a scheme to provide impermissible benefits to some of his top players in hopes it would help keep them from transferring.

Okogie and Jackson aren’t wholly blameless here either. They know what’s permissible under NCAA rules, yet they jeopardized their own seasons and that of their team by accepting benefits in violation of those bylaws.

Worst of all is Bell, who comes across as a petty, vindictive shakedown artist. When he’s unable to extort Pastner into paying for his silence, he instead threatens to try to ruin the coach’s career by outing him to the NCAA.[/quote]

NBCSports.com: Report: Claim against Josh Pastner alleges sexual assault

clt hopes we don’t lose Price to GT

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:14, topic:31167”]clt hopes we don’t lose Price to GT[/quote] That would be awful.

I’m not sure but rumor has it that we may fire Mark Price especially after losing tonight.

Pastner apparently not implicated this time but still involves previously mentioned individuals.

clt asks if any ACC school is clean.