Guards

Our guards just aren’t very good, overall. They’ve had some nice moments thus far but really have to get better but I’m afraid a walk-on PG, role player shooter, converted SF, and first year player just won’t be enough this year.

Losing Leemire, Gerrity transfer and Bowden’s injury. Killing us right now.

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. We were hoping we had enough to get by and Mack/Coley would carry us.

Bilas said Kentucky didn’t have any talent at guard and they have 4 or 5 top 100 guys. Hmmmm.

Our guards just aren't very good, overall. They've had some nice moments thus far but really have to get better but I'm afraid a walk-on PG, role player shooter, converted SF, and first year player just won't be enough this year.

Losing Leemire, Gerrity transfer and Bowden’s injury. Killing us right now.

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. We were hoping we had enough to get by and Mack/Coley would carry us.

Bilas said Kentucky didn’t have any talent at guard and they have 4 or 5 top 100 guys. Hmmmm.

Put Mack at SG. No reason not to, he sucks rebounding and doesn’t follow his shot which leaves us with 2 players to get rebounds.

Let him play at SF on defense, and put Anjuan on their SG.

Dijuan/Dewhurst, Mack, Anjuan, Coley, Phil

I think Dijuan does well, and he’s our only PG. He could of scored 20 or more last night if he kept attacking the glass.

[QUOTE=eason49;362649]Put Mack at SG. No reason not to, he sucks rebounding and doesn’t follow his shot which leaves us with 2 players to get rebounds.

Let him play at SF on defense, and put Anjuan on their SG.

Dijuan/Dewhurst, Mack, Anjuan, Coley, Phil[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Mack’s shooting so far? :doh:

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;362646]Bilas said Kentucky didn’t have any talent at guard and they have 4 or 5 top 100 guys. Hmmmm.[/QUOTE]

This was the other excellent point he made that I forgot.

I’m not one to pile on kids who play as hard as Harris & Co., but that, and rebounding, are our weakness right now.

Somewhere, WH is choking down an “I told you so”.

Have you seen Mack's shooting so far? :doh:
Not much worse than what else we have at the position. If any team has a reasonably decent SG, Ian should NEVER be able to get a shot off.

Ian plays less defense than Mack, although he tries harder than Mack… unfortunately, he’s clumsy, unathletic, and slow.

Ian is not a starter, and we’re going to lose every game we depend on him.

We typically have a sg that scores in bunches. We have not had that yet this year. We haven’t had anyone shot the 3 well this year and it’s all we need for us to be as we could have expected.

I think Harris has done a great job so far. I’ve been impressed. I know the 4 to’s were not great but lets be honest. Harris is imo a better pg than we’ve had in several years. And he is driving and scoring better than I thought he would. We struggle when he goes out but I’m hoping experience and time will help with that.

We just need to make open shots. That includes layups and a few 3’s. period

[QUOTE=eason49;362655]Not much worse than what else we have at the position. If any team has a reasonably decent SG, Ian should NEVER be able to get a shot off.

Ian plays less defense than Mack, although he tries harder than Mack… unfortunately, he’s clumsy, unathletic, and slow.

Ian is not a starter, and we’re going to lose every game we depend on him.[/QUOTE]

Never said Ian is a starter. should get 15 min a game, depending on the situation.

Ian is 6-16 (37.5%) and Mack is 3-13 (23.1%)…right now I’ll take Ian shooting the ball from 3. Obviously this is a small sample size, but its all we have. I think Barnett needs more PT.

We typically have a sg that scores in bunches. We have not had that yet this year. We haven't had anyone shot the 3 well this year and it's all we need for us to be as we could have expected.

I think Harris has done a great job so far. I’ve been impressed. I know the 4 to’s were not great but lets be honest. Harris is imo a better pg than we’ve had in several years. And he is driving and scoring better than I thought he would. We struggle when he goes out but I’m hoping experience and time will help with that.

We just need to make open shots. That includes layups and a few 3’s. period

Hard to get assists, when the shooters around you blow.

I guess Coleman might as well transfer. He isn’t a 3-point shooter so he can’t play the 2G here. Allah help us.

Coleman is the key to a better than .500 season. As scary of a statement as that is I think it is going to play out that way. He is the only 2 we have with length and the ability to defend that posibly can hit shots on a team that flat out can not shoot.

I like Harris but he locks into one player on offense and does not see the floor at all.

Our backcourt is WEAK!!

This was the other excellent point he made that I forgot.

I’m not one to pile on kids who play as hard as Harris & Co., but that, and rebounding, are our weakness right now.

Somewhere, WH is choking down an “I told you so”.

You mean the “I told you so” where he predicted us to be 3-0 right now… oh wait…

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;362694]You mean the “I told you so” where he predicted us to be 3-0 right now[/QUOTE]

No, the I told you so where he predicted our G play would hurt us and put us in 7th place in conference.

No, the I told you so where he predicted our G play would hurt us and put us in 7th place in conference.

I’ll admit our guard play isn’t amazing, but I’m more worried with our frontcourt’s inability to rebound and Mack making shots. Those two alone would make us 3-0 right now, and people would feel better if it was just our 2G spot being the problem.

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;362681]Coleman is the key to a better than .500 season. As scary of a statement as that is I think it is going to play out that way. He is the only 2 we have with length and the ability to defend that posibly can hit shots on a team that flat out can not shoot.

I like Harris but he locks into one player on offense and does not see the floor at all.

Our backcourt is WEAK!![/QUOTE]

and the game is a more guard-oriented than ever. My personal opinion is that good guard play will carry farther than big man play although both is important.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;362698]I’ll admit our guard play isn’t amazing, but I’m more worried with our frontcourt’s inability to rebound and Mack making shots. Those two alone would make us 3-0 right now, and people would feel better if it was just our 2G spot being the problem.[/QUOTE]

I need to see another game before I lay the blame of not rebounding on our frontcourt. People on here have already remarked that everything we do on defense is the antithesis to our frontcourt getting rebound, including asking teams to shoot 3’s on us.

Look at what we do on the offensive end - remember that one possession in the ODU game - the 7 or 8 rebound one? As painful as it was to watch us miss remedial shots like that over and over, at least we got the ball. I don’t think our offensive rebounding is horrible - it’s not great, but it’s not the problem. It’s giving up 15+ offensive boards per game. It has got to stop. Bobby has to change players and/or philosophies to give us a chance.

1 & done is the hoops equivalent of 3 & out. We need more of these from our D in order to win.

Come on! Point guard isn’t hurting us nearly as bad as Mack’s shooting and rebounding, and the biggest problem of all: NO BOXING OUT! Harris is the steadiest player we’ve got, and he’s scoring better than last year.

Yeah, CharSF, I had the Niners 3-0 at this point, but then losing the next three games, so there is a chance to even things out!

Guard play is a concern, but I think the backcourt will continue to improve. The biggest problem right now is the bigs. Jones not rebounding his size, Coley missing too many gimmes and Mack pressing too hard to become “The Man.” Only Wilderness is playing the way I expected.

Mack suddenly thinks of himself as a dribble-and-shoot kind of guy. He’s not. He can dribble by some defenders, but he’s best catching and shooting for treys or posting up smaller defenders. He’s not really an in-between guy who can create regularly off the dribble. And he STILL reaches too damn much on defense.

Harris has been solid so far, though I would like to see him distribute better on the break. He either races ahead of his wings or gives teammates the ball in the wrong spot.

Dewhurst has surprised me as backup point. He’s done a good job – until he’s pressed. Each time APU pressed, it seemed, the Mounties went on a spurt. His teammates need to come back to help before Dewhurst traps himself on the sideline and gets turned around.

Coleman was terrific in the first half with his defense and getting out on the break. That’s what caused the Niners to make that nice run. He’s such a great athlete, he’s very disruptive. Yet he’s obviously been a liability with poor decision making and ill-timed shots in the half court. Until he settles down, WG could be a problem. I wonder if it would be better to start Wilderness at that spot.

As for Andersen, he’s fine as a role player but he’s not a big-minutes guy. I like him when he spots up, catches and shoots. I do not like him to come up firing on the move after he runs behind a screen. His shooting percentage is much lower when he takes those kind of fast shots.

Give it a little more time before jumping off a bridge, but remember this. College basketball has changed. There are more good players available in Division 1 than ever before.

Nobody is guaranteed to beat anybody anymore.

I truly feel that Coleman will get better. For one, his wrist needs to get healthy for him to start making shots, and he does at least help us rebound from the 2 position. Ian, God love him, has a role of only being a shooter and if he can’t do that with great effectiveness then he needs to get reduced minutes. He is one of the greatest liabilities on defense, and doesn’t provide much of anything other than shooting, so if he is not being a dead-eye shot then he’s got nothing.

As far as PG play, Harris is doing fine but I think Dewhurst will hurt us at the backup spot. The poor rebounding is a result of bad fundamentals, and a lack of toughness in the lane. If I see Phil tap the ball out instead of grabbing the rebound one more time I’m going to hurt somebody.

I'll admit our guard play isn't amazing, but I'm more worried with our frontcourt's inability to rebound and Mack making shots. Those two alone would make us 3-0 right now, and people would feel better if it was just our 2G spot being the problem.
Yeah, CharSF, I had the Niners 3-0 at this point, but then losing the next three games, so there is a chance to even things out!

Guard play is a concern, but I think the backcourt will continue to improve. The biggest problem right now is the bigs. Jones not rebounding his size, Coley missing too many gimmes and Mack pressing too hard to become “The Man.” Only Wilderness is playing the way I expected.

What NA? I couldn’t hear you over how right I was.:tongue:

I do agree with most you said NA, but I was just saying from the standpoint that if we just rebounded like we should (not necessarily dominating), and Mack shot a better percentage we’d be 3-0. What you said is true, I was just explaining the quick fix.