Guards

I think our guards have been as good as are bigs—as in not very.

Ian is just not a DI starter. I used to say this when he was a freshman and get bashed for it. People tried to act like he was the 2nd coming of Jobey–except for a couple things 1. he’s not really that great of a shooter, and it takes him a long time to actually release. 2. he is below avg at every other aspect of the game.

Coleman has potential but is raw right now. He needed a year to be groomed.

Dew is a nice role player, but we’ve put alot on him trying to convert him to back up PG.

Harris, for the people bagging him, I think is our best player. Yes, he may not be a true point, but we were at one point last night exclusively using him to spread the D out and take his man one on one. Thats remarkable if you knew that 1. he is a former walk on or 2. ever saw him play last year. The fact that I think he’s our best player is a very good thing on one hand and a very sad thing on another.

I think Harris has done a good job. I wouldn’t say he is our best player, but is playing the best right now. I still think that Mack is our best player, but the whole “freedom of the Lutz system” is actually hurting him as a player. Certain players need more direction/discipline for them to be the best they can be, and I believe Mack is one of those guys. That would help him better discern when and what shots to take through the flow of the offense. Just because you have the ability to make a variety of shots doesn’t mean you should take whatever shot you want whenever you want, and that’s what a lack of offensive shot discipline gets you.

I think Harris has done a good job. I wouldn't say he is our best player, but is playing the best right now. I still think that Mack is our best player, but the whole "freedom of the Lutz system" is actually hurting him as a player. Certain players need more direction/discipline for them to be the best they can be, and I believe Mack is one of those guys. That would help him better discern when and what shots to take through the flow of the offense. Just because you have the ability to make a variety of shots doesn't mean you should take whatever shot you want whenever you want, and that's what a lack of offensive shot discipline gets you.

Mack has been missing wide open shots.

He also missed some BAD shots last night, but he’s missing the “wide open in the corner” three he hit so many times last year.

I have never been on the Mack is our best player bandwagon. I’d say Coley should be our best player.

Mack has been missing wide open shots.

He also missed some BAD shots last night, but he’s missing the “wide open in the corner” three he hit so many times last year.

Heck, everybody’s missing open shot so far this year. And doesn’t it seem like every year we are the worst team for missing easy shots in the lane? Or is it just me?

This was my fear when I saw Gerrity transferred - that Harris would just play too much/often. I haven't seen/heard any of the games this year, but without any other real options at PG, he's going to struggle because he'll have to be perfect 100% of the time he's on the court...and that's too much to ask for any PG, All-American or walk-on turned scholly.
I only saw the ODU game, but I thought he was ok at point. It's too bad we got caught with so little depth, as it cuts his defensive pressure down. That was a big reason our D was so much better last year.

I’d rather see Coleman play more at the 2, start immediately working on his shot in practice, while telling him not to shoot 3’s in games unless wide wide open. But that’s not Lutz’ offense, probably never will be, so Andersen will continue to play late into games imo.

Poor shooting aside, the much bigger weakness right now is unbelievably bad rebounding. ODU had some decent bigs, and ASU had at least some size, but it was still a poor job by our big guys. Any word on why Gaby didn’t play more? He has his liabilities for now, but he seems to really go after the boards. I don’t get why our big guys have no idea how to box out. Are they too slow? Do they not get taught how to do it? Fundamentals continue to be this program’s white whale. We will never go far in march if our players never learn basic skills and discipline.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;362935]I would rather have Ian on the floor at the end of the game than at the beginning. He made a big 3 and some clutch FTs to keep us in the game last night.[/QUOTE]

that statement is dumbfounding. If you want someone at the end of the game, you should want them in all during the game, b/c the would be one of your better players.

hard to get assists when your teammates can't hit shots....Mitchell Baldwin used to get assists, ONLY b/c he played with people that could shoot. Dijuan > Mitchell, IMHO

I am so tired of this excuse.

A PGs job isn’t to pass to jump shooters and hope they hit a jumper to pad his assist stats.

A TRUE PG…creates EASY baskets.

That is/was the biggest difference between Harris and Gerrity.

Gerrity CREATED easy baskets with his assists…Harris gets assists only when we hit jumpers.

I absolutely LOVE how hard he plays…but we lost the PG we needed.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;363046]I am so tired of this excuse.

A PGs job isn’t to pass to jump shooters and hope they hit a jumper to pad his assist stats.

A TRUE PG…creates EASY baskets.

That is/was the biggest difference between Harris and Gerrity.

Gerrity CREATED easy baskets with his assists…Harris gets assists only when we hit jumpers.

I absolutely LOVE how hard he plays…but we lost the PG we needed.[/QUOTE]

I agree, he was much more creative and much more a typical ‘creating’ point guard. Problem was he was kind of a bonehead and definitely a puss.

Harris, for the people bagging him, I think is our best player. Yes, he may not be a true point, but we were at one point last night exclusively using him to spread the D out and take his man one on one. Thats remarkable if you knew that 1. he is a former walk on or 2. ever saw him play last year. The fact that I think he's our best player is a very good thing on one hand and a very sad thing on another.

I think its more of the sad hand, being that he got out played by the other PG in 2 of our 3 games. I’m not bagging him, I’m just saying there may be a talent gap against opposing players. No doubt though that he nutted up last night with his scoring by dribble penetration.

[QUOTE=9erken;363030] Any word on why Gaby didn’t play more? He has his liabilities for now, but he seems to really go after the boards. [/QUOTE]

Gaby has done well for the most part when he has had minutes. There was one game when Lutz said if it had not been for his play we would have lost. So why he doesn’t play more is a mystery. Is Gaby the next Jerrell Lewis?

[QUOTE=Normmm;363054]I think its more of the sad hand, being that he got out played by the other PG in 2 of our 3 games. I’m not bagging him, I’m just saying there may be a talent gap against opposing players. No doubt though that he nutted up last night with his scoring by dribble penetration.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it may very well be sad. And really, when I say he’s our ‘best’, I really mean our ‘toughest’. No doubt he has a lot of limitations, but I think the guy is mentally tough and gives more effort than anyone out there.

He was never billed or recruited as a 35 min/game starter.

I’m worried about some of our more heralded inside guys who are getting their a** beat on rebounds game after game. They have no excuses.

Bottom line, I dont think our post play has been any better than our guard play so far. They both stink.