GW gets Jumbotron, radio upgrade, etc.

Interesting read on the A-10 board about George Washington hoops…

August 10, 2004 Dear Basketball Fans! As promised, this is an update as to what’s happening with our Colonials and the Smith Center during the summer. First of all, the Athletic Department is purchasing a brand new scoreboard for the Smith Center, similar to the Jumbotrons you see at many arenas and stadiums throughout the country. With the new scoreboard, we will have the opportunity to televise all the action on the floor to the video screens with three to five cameras. This will not only permit us to have a FanCam working with the audience but will also provide instant replays, player features, the ability to televise the post game show and much more! It brings the Colonials into the 21st century, allowing us to share our video with all the local stations instantly by using fiber optics, providing game highlights to home viewers. We have also upgraded our radio by signing a multi-year deal with WMET, 1160 AM, which is now broadcasting at 50,000 watts daytime and 27,500 watts in the evening. We now rival WTOP radio, which also broadcasts at 50,000 watts. We recommend that you stay tuned to WMET, as other professional teams are looking to join WMET as well. As in the past, we will continue to broadcast on WAGE Radio, 1200 AM, giving us a solid Colonial Radio Network for the first time in many years.

Link to entire thread: GW Hoops news (New scoreboard and Mo Rice)

I’m envious of the Jumbotron, especially with that awful scoreboard we have in Halton. Don’t even get me started about our radio situation…

GO NINERS!!!

We have a giant LiteBrite for a scoreboard and a radio station that is nothing more than a glorified megaphone after sundown. Good for GW, they have taken the steps we should have a few years ago.

This is sad…for us. But really, do we have the money? Is there enough intere$t to improve the broadcast provider? I bet not or we’d have both improvements. Sad indeed. :frowning:

How much would it cost to upgrade the Litebrite with a few million more pixels so you could actually see what the hell its trying to show? :o

The Lite Brite was paid for by advertisers. Perhaps someone with Signature Sports could elaborate on our setup.

If we want a bigger scoreboard, we need to get Food Lion, Wachovia, and Healthy Choice to come off the hip for an upgrade.

I’d sacrifice our radio package for a Jumbotron. I’m actually embarrassed sometimes when we play at home and opposing fans look up at our LiteBright. I would love to be able to watch vivid replays of the action on the court but I’m also aware of the costs involved to do so. Without help from a major sponsor, we’re stuck with the LiteBright. One step at a time though. The shutter lights a couple years back was a very nice upgrade so maybe a better scoreboard will be in our near future.

How I long for radio braodcasts to return to 106.5 so I can hear them in High Point. It’s a shame to know that there is not a Charlotte radio station that really fits the demographics for 49ers b-ball. I know the school is purchasing the air time but some radio outlet (other than WFNZ) should be willing to take a chance on us for approximately 75 hours per year (more if you included a weekly coaches show). Even Appalachian State has 13 radio affiliates and a 100000-watt flagship station, covering 45 counties in NC, SC, GA, TN & VA! :frowning:

Looks like GW has also picked up a player from Philly who broke Wilt Chamberlain’s high school scoring record for the City of Brotherly Love. Apparently Maureece Rice is a piece of work, though, so Colonial’s coach Karl Hobbs will have his work cut out with him. Perhaps the heir apparent to SirValiant Brown (another guy who made the early-entry mistake)…

[b]Maureece Rice to go to George Washington

By Shannon Ryan
Philadephia Inquirer Staff Writer
August 13, 2004

Maureece Rice, Philadelphia’s career scoring leader for high school boys’ basketball, has signed with George Washington University, according to Colonials coach Karl Hobbs.

Rice, a 6-foot, 215-pound guard, spent most of last season at Philadelphia Lutheran High School as a fifth-year player; he graduated from Strawberry Mansion in 2003.

Rice gained national acclaim as a senior at Strawberry Mansion when he eclipsed the city’s career scoring record for boys, 2,206 points, held by Overbrook legend Wilt Chamberlain since 1955.

Rice finished his four-year high school career with 2,681 points; he led Strawberry Mansion to two Public League championships.

He was named Pennsylvania’s Class AAAA player of the year by the Associated Press during his senior season, when he averaged 29.1 points per game.[/b]

Link to entire story: Philly.com

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Aug 13 2004, 12:47 PM [b] Rice, a 6-foot, 215-pound guard [/b]
Damn that dude is built like a freakin tank