GW-Xavier

Xavier loses a huge lead and loses 89-85 tonight in Cincinnati. One good point, the 49ers are somehow in second place.

[B][U]Atlantic 10 Men’s Standings (2/2/06)[/U][/B]
7-0, 17-1, George Washington
[B][COLOR=Green]5-3, 12-8, Charlotte[/COLOR][/B]
5-3, 11-8, Rhode Island
5-3, 11-9, Saint Louis
5-3, 12-7, Temple
4-3, 13-5, Xavier
4-3, 9-11, Fordham
4-3, 11-9, Richmond
4-4, 12-7, La Salle
4-4, 9-9, Massachusetts
3-5, 11-11, Dayton
3-5, 9-9, Saint Joseph’s
1-7, 3-16, Duquesne
0-8, 6-13, Saint Bonaventure

Great game! HP, we ARE in second place.

GW has to move up in the RPI after this win.They are way too good to be ranked in the 40’s in the RPI.They should be ahead of Maryland who only has one win against a top 50 team.GW also beat the Terps earlier in the year.

You are correct austin. I was only looking at the top of the standings.

That was one of the most entertaining games I’ve seen all year. Xavier fans can’t be happy about blowing that 17 point lead.

After watching that game, its clear that we aren’t on that same level as those two teams (this year anyways).

[QUOTE=HP49er;152018] One good point, the 49ers are somehow in second place.
[/QUOTE]

:scared: :confused:

Second place has to be our goal at this point (til tourney time) and it’s not going to be easy. This is how I see it breaking down.

Looking at the remaining schedules, I don’t think anyone else will finish with fewer than 5 conference losses (other than GW of course). Xavier has the best chance since their toughest competition is behind them (GW, Temple, Charlotte?). They still have St. Louis, Richmond, Dayton, URI, and UMASS all on the road. They will drop at least one and could loose two of those. Home game against Saint Joseph’s which beat them earlier this year, also.

Temple (arguably the 2nd best team in our conference and playing with a lot of confidence) also has a shot at having less loses but we hold our own destiny with that one. That game could possibly turn our “upside down world” back right again.

What’s all this mean, like we have all been saying for a while, we just simply have to win games. Something that has not come easy or often this year. If 2nd is our goal, winning out will allow us to be by ourselves. One more conference loss and we might have some company but can’t let it be to Temple. More than one loss will be multiple teams at 5 down and we can forget about it.

2nd place would be great, but I’d be happy as long as we could finish in the top 4 to get a bye in the first round of the conf. tourney.

What a terrible time to get one of those “vice” cramps. I’ve only hed them once, but you can’t walk, let alone get up and run. GW finds the open man, and the regular season is theirs to lose. They showed the replay of Burrell’s missed three in slow mo, and it looked like the top of the ball made it to the underside of the rim before it popped back out. Crazy.

[QUOTE]GW has to move up in the RPI after this win.They are way too good to be ranked in the 40’s in the RPI.They should be ahead of Maryland who only has one win against a top 50 team.GW also beat the Terps earlier in the year.[/QUOTE]

11/26/2005 Home W 80-69 vs. [B]#282 [/B]Norfolk St 11/30/2005 Home W 85-68 vs. [B]#320 [/B]St Francis 12/2/2005 Home W 75-62 vs. [B]#234 [/B]Boston U 12/5/2005 Neut W 78-70 vs. #30 Maryland 12/8/2005 Home W 70-45 vs. [B]#274 [/B]Florida Intl 12/10/2005 Away W 102-75 vs. [B]#330 [/B]Morgan St 12/17/2005 Home W 98-72 vs. [B]#305 [/B]MD Eastrn 12/30/2005 Away L 58-79 vs. #13 NC State 1/7/2006 Away W 79-73 vs. [B]#210 [/B]Marshall 1/16/2006 Home W 88-60 vs. [B]#306 [/B]Stony Brook

GW is paying in the RPI for their cupcake non-conference schedule. It has them ranked high in the opinion polls, but not in the computer one that really matters. Most of the A-10 would have come away with all but one of the wins they accumulated playing that schedule. They have 4 +300 teams!!! It’s one thing to schedule a good program and that program have a bad year, but GW knew going in that these games would be walkovers. Unless they fall apart, they will get an at large. Their seeding could really take a hit because of their non-conference schedule, though.

Looking at the teams we’re tied with for 2nd - We all know Xavier and Temple are tough. Has anyone been following Saint Louis?

Looking at their schedule - Iowa, Chapel Hill, 3 point loss to Gonzaga, OT loss to GW on the road - Could this be a dark horse contender? We know they play great after a loss :tongue: - and that’s actually a sign of a focused team.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this team?

[QUOTE=survivor45;152051]Looking at the teams we’re tied with for 2nd - We all know Xavier and Temple are tough. Has anyone been following Saint Louis?

Looking at their schedule - Iowa, Chapel Hill, 3 point loss to Gonzaga, OT loss to GW on the road - Could this be a dark horse contender? We know they play great after a loss :tongue: - and that’s actually a sign of a focused team.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this team?[/QUOTE]

I watched them play UNC. They still have Vouyoukas and Drejaj, and have added some quality young talent to go with them. They still aren’t much fun to watch, but the young guys Liddle and Lisch are pretty talented. When Drejaj gets hot, he can kill you from 3 (41% average). He was 4-5 against the Heels, but he has only taken 56 shots from 3 for the entire season. SLU was all over UNC until the last 3 minutes or so, and Carolina stretched it out from there. Vouyoukas has given us fits the last two years, and is the Bils leading scorer with 13.6 per game. I’ll be surprised if we hold him under 15. Drejaj worries me also. Let’s hope he’s on a cold streak on the 25th.

[QUOTE=survivor45;152051]We know they play great after a loss :tongue: - and that’s actually a sign of a focused team.[/QUOTE]
They actually have broke the streak, beating Rhode Island, 58-53 on Wednesday. Saint Louis had alternated a victory and a loss over the past 21 games.

Saint Louis always gives us problems but we’ve had success at home in past years (of course the hc advantage seems to be lacking this year). I didn’t notice the thing about them winning after a loss, but you could also say they loose after every win? Sign of an unbalanced team. I did not include them in my earlier post to compete for second place because they still have Xavier (which they beat earlier), Temple and Charlotte. With their eratic season, they are sure to loose two or three more this year putting them with at least five loses. Not good enough for second this year. That being said, they have been known to create issues come conference tournement time.

I did not include them in my earlier post to compete for second place because they still have Xavier (which they beat earlier), Temple and Charlotte. With their eratic season, they are sure to loose two or three more this year putting them with at least five loses. Not good enough for second this year. That being said, they have been known to create issues come conference tournement time.

We’ll probably know more after the Xavier-Saint Louis game on Sunday. Apparantly, they weren’t intimidated by their road games vs. Xavier and GW - so I’m not sure if they’ll be overwhelmed by home games vs. Xavier and Temple.

We shall see.

Overwhelmed by their upcoming games against Xavier and Temple? No.
Consistently good enough to have a chance at beating both? No.

However, that’s why the games are played…as you say…we shall see.

Should I be working right now?..

Take a look at the conference stats, things are really strange, these are stats for each team for the whole year.

We are #4 in scoring, but 3rd from last in FG% ? We are like 3rd or 4th in 3pt FG %. Strange.

One stat makes the difference is rebounding we dominate those categories, that is the only way to explain being 4th in scoring and close to last in FG%.

For example, now Withers is dominating rebounds/game, he has almost 11, next player close to him is about 8.

Alexander is now 3rd in scoring in the conference and Withers is 8th.

If you looked at just these stats for our team you would think we are having a great year.