Halton Arena question

PREFACE - this thread is not to debate how big or small or where the student sections should be. It is not to discuss how loyal any alum is or how much community support the team has.

QUESTION - How does anyone decide what constitutes good or bad alum turnout?

I know alums in the 100 level, I know alums in 216, 226 and 211. Iā€™m sure there are more in other places around the arena. But I read on here, from time to timeā€¦ā€œpoor showing by the alumsā€. Is all of the non-student sections considered the alums? I hope not because that implies a rather short sighted marketing strategy. By that, I mean you are assuming no one other than students and alums will ever show up.

If people judge alum support being poor because 216 and/or 226 look sparse (for the record, they were tonight), I suggest you need to rethink that strategy. When I returned to Charlotte several years ago, I looked at the ticket plan and saw an ā€œAlumniā€ option. I choose it, but no one ever questioned or asked for proof.

Once again, not trying to instigate anything, but I am trying to understand when people say ā€œpoor alum supportā€ or lines of that natureā€¦how do you make that determination?

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;357546]PREFACE - this thread is not to debate how big or small or where the student sections should be. It is not to discuss how loyal any alum is or how much community support the team has.

I know alums in the 100 level, I know alums in 216, 226 and 211. Iā€™m sure there are more in other places around the arena. But I read on here, from time to timeā€¦ā€œpoor showing by the alumsā€. Is all of the non-student sections considered the alums? I hope not because that implies a rather short sighted marketing strategy. By that, I mean you are assuming no one other than students and alums will ever show up.

If people judge alum support being poor because 216 and/or 226 look sparse (for the record, they were tonight), I suggest you need to rethink that strategy. When I returned to Charlotte several years ago, I looked at the ticket plan and saw an ā€œAlumniā€ option. I choose it, but no one ever questioned or asked for proof.

Once again, not trying to instigate anything, but I am trying to understand when people say ā€œpoor alum supportā€ or lines of that natureā€¦how do you make that determination?[/QUOTE]

when we say ā€˜alumsā€™ we mean, in general, all non-student designated sections. including people that may or may not be alums of the school. i think we assume most people that sit on that side are. we dont exactly have a large wal-mart fanbase around here. something we desperately need.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;357546]Once again, not trying to instigate anything, but I am trying to understand when people say ā€œpoor alum supportā€ or lines of that natureā€¦how do you make that determination?[/QUOTE]

The grand canyon sized emptiness in the lower bowl, alumni side.

Iā€™ve emphasized in past years we have the STUDENT section and the NON-STUDENT section. We need to get locals interested. Last year, Bobby sometimes referred to the non-student side as the ā€œCOMMUNITYā€ side, or something similar.

We keep hearing ā€œstudents and alumniā€ (Mike used to be bad about this), but we are missing a golden opportunity by keeping locals out of the mixā€¦ especially if we want to succeed at FOOTBALL.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;357552]Iā€™ve emphasized in past years we have the STUDENT section and the NON-STUDENT section. We need to get locals interested. Last year, Bobby sometimes referred to the non-student side as the ā€œCOMMUNITYā€ side, or something similar.[/QUOTE]

yes you have, but you are in the minority.

[QUOTE=jfickett;357548]when we say ā€˜alumsā€™ we mean, in general, all non-student designated sections. including people that may or may not be alums of the school. i think we assume most people that sit on that side are. we dont exactly have a large wal-mart fanbase around here. something we desperately need.[/QUOTE]

makes sense, good explanation.

I understand where you are coming fromā€¦but for those of us who are alums, sometimes it sounds a little strange to hear ā€œalumsā€ assumed for the rest of the arena.

PREFACE - this thread is [B]not[/B] to debate how big or small or where the student sections should be. It is [B]not[/B] to discuss how loyal any alum is or how much community support the team has.

Once again, not trying to instigate anything, but I am trying to understand when people say ā€œpoor alum supportā€ or lines of that natureā€¦how do you make that determination?

This is a man whoā€™s seen his share of NNN threads.

I've emphasized in past years we have the STUDENT section and the NON-STUDENT section. We need to get locals interested. Last year, Bobby sometimes referred to the non-student side as the "COMMUNITY" side, or something similar.

We keep hearing ā€œstudents and alumniā€ (Mike used to be bad about this), but we are missing a golden opportunity by keeping locals out of the mixā€¦ especially if we want to succeed at FOOTBALL.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. I have argued on this board for years that we do not have an ā€œalumni sideā€ in the arena. Its students on 1 side and everyone else on the other! If we only had students and alumni coming to games we WOULD be in terrible shape!