Heads continuing to roll as the "ax" falls

Today, joining the “ex-coaches club” includes…

• Pete Gillen, Virginia

• Steve Lappas, UMass

• Buzz Peterson, Tennessee

I predict that Bobby Lutz will be coaching all three of these teams next year. I’ll let you in on a little secret that is every sports writer’s obligitory line–Bobby Lutz is one of the most underated coaches in America.

If Bobby beats Herbie, he’ll be coaching all 4. :rolleyes:

I wonder if we could snap one of these guys up as an assistant, Florida got Larry Shyatt and he has really helped that team improve. I think the biggest obstacle would be salary.

I really have the feeling that their will be some change this summer. Not sure why but it’s a feeling that won’t escape me. If Bobby loses the Bigger schools will say a lack of resources here at Charlotte, If we win then obviously he’ll be praised as a genius. I am very appreciative of Bobby for what he’s done in helping put Charlotte on the map. If he leaves for bigger things I won’t mind.

I think UVA or Tennessee should go after coach Cal of Mempiss, who would probably jump at the chance to leave for greener pastures considering how weak CUSA is going to be next year.

Speaking of axed coaches: Coach Wat’s old team, TX A&M, is in the NIT this year after 6 years of futility. I’ll bet he feels like crap.

[i]Originally posted by karaokelegend[/i]@Mar 14 2005, 03:37 PM [b] I think UVA or Tennessee should go after coach Cal of Mempiss, who would probably jump at the chance to leave for greener pastures considering how weak CUSA is going to be next year. [/b]
Let's see, leave a place where you're the top dog, making over a $1 MM per year, probably top 3-4 perennial program in a new C-USA (with UAB, UTEP, and Tulsa if the new guy can "revive" the Hurricanes), etc., to go to UT or UVa.

If Buzz had played his cards right, he could have kept Tulsa on top of the hoops world in the WAC and Pete could have enjoyed life in the Big East.