Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Is Dead

Why is there no good Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Bands anymore?
In the '80’s, Bon Jovi was cool. Now they are a sorry-a55 boy band.
Poison, Ratt, Metallica, Aerosmith, Twisted Sister, Damn Yankees, Scorpions, AC/DC, etc. cranked it up.
On episodes of Alias, Sydney used to be in European clubs where they still rocked. All of the clubs she went into in Czech Rep., Germany, Russia, etc. were hopping. It was also like that in the XXX movie where the Czech club was going.
How come Europe gets to rock, while America is stuck in Pop hell? Do I have to move to Europe to find real music?
Does anyone know if real rock will make a come-back?
Does anyone know any European rock websites where I could listen to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal songs to see if I want to buy a CD?
Why don’t some of those European rockers ever come to America anymore?

Why is there no good Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Bands anymore? In the '80's, Bon Jovi was cool. Now they are a sorry-a55 boy band. Poison, Ratt, Metallica, Aerosmith, Twisted Sister, Damn Yankees, Scorpions, AC/DC, etc. cranked it up. On episodes of Alias, Sydney used to be in European clubs where they still rocked. All of the clubs she went into in Czech Rep., Germany, Russia, etc. were hopping. It was also like that in the XXX movie where the Czech club was going. How come Europe gets to rock, while America is stuck in Pop hell? Do I have to move to Europe to find real music? Does anyone know if real rock will make a come-back? Does anyone know any European rock websites where I could listen to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal songs to see if I want to buy a CD? Why don't some of those European rockers ever come to America anymore?

AllOfMP3.com carries quite a few hard rock groups from Germany and Scandanavia. BTW, Poison rocked?! Ugh…I suggest Dream Theatre and Megadeth were better than Poison. They were way to close to Glam Rock.

What European group are you talking about? A few do come over. I saw Blind Guardian and another group last year and their is a concert festival in Atlanta each year that is mostly Euro groups (progessive metal).
Most of the Euro group are so popular in Europe that they don’t need to come over hear (plus most people really seem to have not hear of them).

Dead? Pop metal is dead, but there are many types of metal doing well. The two types I listen to, Prog Metal and Power Metal are still doing well - new, interesting releases and bands come out regularly.

Pick up a copy of MASTODON - Blood Mountain

www.mastodonrocks.com

It’s refreshing to finally agree with you on something, SCK.

Although it might not be what you’re looking for (since you seem to be more of a hair band fan), Rammestein is a German metal band that can rock it out. I’m sure you know of them?

I’ve had some Foo Fighters albums on a pretty regular rotation in my car these days. I forgot how well they can rock out.

Dude, hair bands SUCKED. Sorry, its true.

Other than that, I agree. Real rock and roll is in very rough shape. But there are several bands that I feel still carry the torch for true rock.

Queens of the Stone Age (and related artists)
The Strokes
Wolfmother

That’s about all I can come up with off the top of my head but there are a few others I’m sure. Fireball Ministry gets an honorable mention as well.

Between the Buried and Me is good. The guitarist is a friend of mine.

www.betweentheburiedandme.com

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;222934]Why is there no good Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Bands anymore?
In the '80’s, Bon Jovi was cool. Poison, Aerosmith, Damn Yankees[/QUOTE]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You think those bands are hard rock??

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Good f’ing riddance. That entire cheesey hairspray ballad scene was just godawful. The clothes, dressing like ugly women, and some of the worst songwriting of all time.

Audioslave anyone?

Coheed and Cambria is probably the most recent “rock” band I listen the most to right now. Although, I guess you would consider them prog…

I’m not a big Audioslave fan, but at least their music has some balls.

C&C - is definitely prog rock Cass. To have song and album titles that long and pretentious, you either have to be a stuck up white kid folky or a Rush/Yes disciple. Guess which C&C are?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You think those bands are hard rock??

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Good f’ing riddance. That entire cheesey hairspray ballad scene was just godawful. The clothes, dressing like ugly women, and some of the worst songwriting of all time.

I respectfully disagree. There are some really cheesy ballads by plenty of bands out right now… The difference is that at least back then, people could play their instruments.

Not really sure what looks have to do with music at all…
I personally believe you have to separate the music from the scene and the musician (tendencies, environment, morals, dress, etc.) or else you will always be disappointed in the past after a few years… especially appearance. Times change, rather drastically sometimes. The 70’s had a lot of glam bands too… with David Bowie, Queen, etc. As a further example (this one dealing with differences in the head not the appearance), I like a lot of musicians but I certainly would not subscribe to many of their political views.

I don’t like Poision or Twisted Sister… but I agree that the other band selections from SCK were/are very talented.

I am also listining to a lot of My Morning Jacket…Z is one of the better records I have heard is some time.

The Pixies have also found their way back into my Ipod rotation…although they are not new or hard rock.

I respectfully disagree. There are some really cheesy ballads by plenty of bands out right now... The difference is that at least back then, people could play their instruments.

Not really sure what looks have to do with music at all…
I personally believe you have to separate the music from the scene and the musician (tendencies, environment, morals, dress, etc.) or else you will always be disappointed in the past after a few years… especially appearance. Times change, rather drastically sometimes. The 70’s had a lot of glam bands too… with David Bowie, Queen, etc. As a further example (this one dealing with differences in the head not the appearance), I like a lot of musicians but I certainly would not subscribe to many of their political views.

I don’t like Poision or Twisted Sister… but I agree that the other band selections from SCK were/are very talented.

True, there are some bands from that scene that were ok or made a few good songs, but most sucked. And yes, you should try and seperate the music from the scene, but to what extent. If those guys had been good, this wouldnt be an issue. But they sucked, so they also get hurt because they dressed like idiots.

But the reality is that 90% of hair bands sucked. And according to my definition of “hair band” 100% sucked. Aerosmith was not a hair band nor was GNR but they were in that same group. Twisted Sister atleast made good music for the most part.

None of whom are real music. Only teenagers and soccer moms listen to anything on MTV or broadcast radio. I’d put up the first 20 random performers saved on my Sirius s50 against everyone listed above, confident that 9 out of 10 of them are better muciscians than anyone SCK named. The point is, there is some really great music being made, it just isn’t being played by MTV or clearchannel and as a result, music fans are going elsewhere (in droves!) to listen. Do not compare the above to boy bands or R&B pop acts. I cant name one person I know that actually listens to that crap.

It should have nothing to do with music. But unfortunately in the 80’s, how big your hair was had as much to do with whether you got a record deal as your music did. Nowadays, if you’re a barely dressed skank who will “sing” (lots of studio pitch correction) over a bad R&B beat with some hot rapper filling in the gaps while you display yours, you’re money.

The folks I listen to have probably honestly shopped at goodwill and really don’t care much how they look.

The only trend that matters is the corporatization of music. It has almost put the artform on its deathbed, but real artists are finding ways to get heard anyway.

The 70's had a lot of glam bands too... with David Bowie, Queen, etc.

Bowie and Queen were talented innovators with a timeless body of work. Those other groups are just derivative hacks. Although I will say that Bowie needs to hang it up now. His live show is a bit boring anymore. But damn do I love his old stuff. Even most of the 80’s stuff he did.

Aerosmith? Damn Yankees? Ratt? (okay they at least had one good song). Aerosmith wiped out the 70s with their truckload of absolute crap since then. Ask the band about “Angel” - They’re too embarassed to even talk about it. And whatever integirty Metallica had went out the door when Lars Ulrich opened his dumbass mouth. What a douchebag.

PS - ATL - I really love talking about music. Bring it on!

[QUOTE=casstommy;223074]I am also listining to a lot of My Morning Jacket…Z is one of the better records I have heard is some time.

The Pixies have also found their way back into my Ipod rotation…although they are not new or hard rock.[/QUOTE]

Love me some MMJ! The Pixies absolutely rule. I swear Kim Deal kicks more ass (and has probably done more drugs) than anyone SCK named. Those guys wish they were as cool as Black Frank, let alone her.

In contrast to how negative I sound, I really love music and like acts from every decade and most music scenes. I just dont like hacks and have a great deal of disdain for radio for the last deacde or two.

Metallica rocks! Admittedly, the old school stuff was better.

I reluctantly admit I was a big RATT fan. Unfortunately for them, they became really popular during the Hair Band craze which I think reflected poorly on them. They got lumped in with the typical hair bands like Poison, Winger, Firehouse, etc. But RATT was putting out some really good rock well before those bands started putting on their eyeliner. Granted, the lyrics were very shallow and blue collar, but Stephen Pearcy had a great voice and that band was full of energy. But once “Round n’ Round” hit it big, they got too mainstream and cheesy just like the other bands. I saw Stephen Pearcy at Amos’ not too long ago. He has gotten pretty darn old but can still put on a great show.

I’m not a Jon Bon Jovi fan at ALL but I will say that he has withstood the test of time. He hit it big with Slippery When Wet and has been a top 10 artist since. Not sure why so many people like his music but for whatever reason, he never lost his appeal. I can’t even count how many hits he had and he’s still putting them out all these years later. All I know is that I feel really old because I can remember listening to Slippery When Wet when it first came out.

Basically, my opinion today is that if it’s played on the radio or MTV/VH1, there’s a 99% chance that it’s complete and total crap. I am so sick of these bands like Nickleback who think they’re great musicians. But I guess as long as someone is willing to pay for that garbage, they’ll have a career.

Sirius FTW