Height discussion

You guys better not let SoKool see these posts about guards and height. 8)

LMAO HAHAHA :slight_smile:
FWIW has anyone noticed Nate Robinsons play in the NBA finals. 5’9 scoring PG/2G gettin it done at the 1 and 2 position. Last time I checked there were 4 or 5 talented BIG guards on both benches who have little or no impact at all.

I mean i’m just sayin HOW COULD THAT BE? ::slight_smile: LOL

Could it mean that some talented small guards are better than talented BIG guards?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEVER THAT

^True. Not trying to get off topic, but Nate Robinson in my mind is the single most entertaining player in the NBA to watch.

he isn’t just entertaining but he also is a good player. 41 points off the bench after you haven’t played in a month. also, the guy brings a college player’s energy to the nba, which i like.

I think he’s kind of a douchebag, but hey, to each his own.

FWIW has anyone noticed Nate Robinsons play in the NBA finals. 5’9 scoring PG/2G gettin it done at the 1 and 2 position. Last time I checked there were 4 or 5 talented BIG guards on both benches who have little or no impact at all.

Could it mean that some talented small guards are better than talented BIG guards?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEVER THAT[/quote]

OK, there is always exception to the rule. Why don’t we just bring up spud and mugsy while we’re at it. Bottom line that I’m bringing up is you cannot teach size. Especially if we are going to be man to man; size matters…a lot. I’m not saying small guards can’t play. Shit, I was a 5’9 guard in high school and ask anybody who played me, I was not an easy out. Us getting bigger guards will help us tons. That’s all I’m going to say.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEVER THAT[/quote]

Good for him and me, I bet the Celts and won.

But why you think a 6’4" guard with the same skill set as a 5’8" guy isn’t a more attractive option, I’ll never get. Nobody ever said small guards can’t play, just saying if I’m 6’4", I’ll post the little bastard up or shoot right over him and score 30- trust me.

[quote=“hootie, post:7, topic:23447”]Good for him and me, I bet the Celts and won.

But why you think a 6’4" guard with the same skill set as a 5’8" guy isn’t a more attractive option, I’ll never get. Nobody ever said small guards can’t play, just saying if I’m 6’4", I’ll post the little bastard up or shoot right over him and score 30- trust me.[/quote] You could argue that with the same “skill set”, the smaller guy is going to be quicker and have a lower center of gravity. But it’s pretty clear coaches tend to go after taller players, all things being equal, with the rare exceptions of short guys that are ultra athletic / quick (think Muggsy Bogues).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEVER THAT[/quote]

Not really, Magic was one of the best points to play the game and he is 6’9. If you look at the top 10 points to ever play in the NBA, none were below 6 foot.

This is getting way off-topic, but if I had a Kwamain Mitchell or a Kevin Anderson in my lineup and had an opportunity to sign another sub-6’ guard in the 5-7 Drew Lavender, would I do it? Of course. Wouldn’t think twice about pairing them up in the starting lineup, either. There’s quite a few success stories in the A10 for undersized guards.

How about guards that are 6’4" or above like Terrence Williams? There are tons of those that were successful, too. Rodney Green of La Salle created all kinds of matchup problems and I think pretty much every single guard at Temple that I can remember (Dionte Christmas, Brooks, Fernandez, etc.) was at least 6’4" and put up great numbers.

The big cardinal sin that most scouts fall victim to is To not get so hung up on size that you forget about whether or not they can play the game. If a kid can play, that matters way, way more than size.

Nate Robinson is a freak of nature athletically. That can’t be said for ANY 5’ 9" guard we ever have a chance with.

If 5’ 9" guards dominated the league and college basketball then you would have a point. The fact remains that even as ridiculously talented and athletic that Nate Robinson is, the best he is in the NBA is a 6 man / point per minute type guy.